Notices

When DON' T You Daily Drive Your Daily Driver?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2023, 02:27 AM
nesretnika
AutoX

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

vw touareg 4.0 v8 tdi
The following users liked this post:
PZombie (04-28-2024)
Old 06-15-2023, 06:55 PM
Atheist
Racer

Received 199 Likes on 113 Posts

Use my 991.2 GTS as a daily driver. My back up or beater is my old 2011 Cayenne S. The Cayenne was my daily for nine years and still runs and looks great but it has 175K miles so I use it for extreme weather (not much of that is California except this year), when I might want all wheel drive or high ground clearance, when the surf is up and I am carrying surfboards, carrying more than one adult passenger and when I need to carry cargo (Home Depot, Costco, nursery etc) and occasionally just because I like to drive it. It is at the age where I want to preserve it, as without it, I would need something more practical than a 911 for surfing and the things I mention. In essence I cannot own a 911 as my only vehicle so the Cayenne enables me to drive a 911 as my daily.
The GTS is my daily commuter for the 23 mile trip each way to the office which is basically 50% canyon twisties and open no traffic high speed highway. I do make grocery stops and have no issue parking it although I am careful of the spots choose to avoid door dings. Personally I purchased the GTS for me to enjoy every morning since my drive is very nice, and when my wife and I go out. Kids all grown so 95% of the time I am the only one in my car. I don't believe in cars as an investment unless they are true classics and being preserved and rarely driven. As I said to my friend, I can't afford to not drive my GTS because of the following:
It cost a lot and I didn't buy it to look at. While it cost a lot, I can't afford to spend $135K on a car I'm not driving. That is for the wealthy Ferrari crowd.
It is my only vehicle of the 3 I own, that is actually still covered under a warranty.
I'm 68 and the GTS has only 23k miles, so if I put 100K miles on it in the next 8 to 10 years, by the time I wear it out I might be dead or too old to enjoy it. Now is the time, no use saving it for the next owner.
Most of my driving is on roads which are perfect for a 911.
Most important I just love driving it and it makes every trip in it a pleasurable experience.
If it has to go into the shop for service then of course either a loaner car from the dealer or the truck (cayenne).

There are times when for example, it rains or the roads are dirty and have lots of pot holes, after the 911 is freshly washed and detailed, that I may decide to leave it in the garage and drive the Cayenne just because I want to keep my GTS clean for a bit.

skru_fase (06-15-2023)
Old 06-21-2023, 07:23 PM
rwbern
Rennlist Member

Received 934 Likes on 417 Posts

I would love to drive the Targa every day, but the streets in NOLA are so bad I use the DD, VW Passat, for the weekly chores. 133K miles on the VW. It’s been a great car with minimal issues, but well maintained.
I ease out of the driveway from Friday through Sunday & ease out of the city for a little fun.
Old 06-26-2023, 09:32 AM
Patunia
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 95 Posts

Hey OP, think about this….TRAFFIC!! I live in Old Irving Park and commute to the west loop for work. I cannot tell you how terrible it is driving a manual (my daily is an A4) in this **** show of 90/94 construction. Before the “3 year improvement “ I would leave home at 6:30am and be at work with plenty time to spare. Now I leave @6 am and I’m at Jackson and Ashland at 7. Being out west the 290 will quickly turn into a parking lot and you’ll find yourself creeping along,,,,clutch in,clutch out…
If you really don’t care about the car then drive it anywhere and park it wherever you want. Garage parking = theft, vandalism, door dings getting keyed etc. street parking = good luck and plenty of tickets.
Good luck
Old 07-05-2023, 01:09 PM
rwbern
Rennlist Member

Received 934 Likes on 417 Posts

The only thing I disagree with your list is the vacation to FL. Any road trip is Porsche time. You do not have to drive the interstates all the time. Countless backroad routes to make the drive the highlight of the vacation :-)
Old 01-07-2024, 05:46 PM
porscheniklas
2nd Gear

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
Default This is mine...

My Porsche 992 4S is my daily driver all year around .
Nandska (04-29-2024)
Old 01-08-2024, 12:00 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,113 Likes on 670 Posts

That looks like a scene of my white 964 C4 in Alaska many years ago. I mounted studded tires in the winter, and used it as my DD all year round. I got some funny looks from people, and a barista at a coffee drive-through told me I was ruining the car.

Old 04-27-2024, 09:30 AM
Anthony992
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 64 Posts

M4 Competition X-Drive on high performance all season tires. It is a very different driving experience versus the 992.
Old 04-28-2024, 07:49 PM
PZombie
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

For whatever it's worht. I've owned a few 911 cars. I am in Northern California, Silly Valley area. Generally, I've never had any issued driving nor parking the cars with some caveats:
1. I am in the suburbs and there are plenty more "attractive" cars to thieves, vagrants, and scoundrels than the many-years-old 911's I have owned. My cars have been nice, very well maintained, and impecably clean. Yet, they don't attract the attention of say a Lambo, Ferrari, or Aston Martin
2. When in San Francisco, I am very familiar with the parking garage layouts. So I park my car myself. I never trust a valet to park my car. One excepetion would be at the *** Hill, Mark Hopkins Hotel where I insist they park it in front of the hotel
3. Grocery stores, office bulidings, again, I am in the suburbs and parking spaces are large. I pick a parking spot far away from other cars, and have never had any problem
4. When going to the beach, other similar areas, I generaly drive a famly SUV. When I have driven my Porsche, I park it away from other cars, or park next to an equally nice or nicer car.
5. I am in California, and I generally keep it garaged in the winter. Just becase I am OCD and keep my cars very clean. I don't want to deal with cleaning mud and junk from the wheel wells, door openings, etc. No car detailing place does a good-enough job in my opinion.

Honestly, all this has become programmed into my "muscle-memory," so it is not an inconvenience nor cause of stress. It is akin to just locking the doors and being aware of local surroundings. Now for my Ferrari, that is an entirely different story. Those are Point A to Point A cars....unless I am a tour group in a pack. There are a lot of Haters and jerks out there.

Quick Reply: When DON' T You Daily Drive Your Daily Driver?