Notices

California lifestyle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 04:57 PM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 684 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Lethalsleeper
Moved out of LA due to wasting half your life stuck in traffic trying to get anywhere. Taxes, housing cost, air pollution, cold water beaches. Only thing I miss is the Asian food.
Only thing I miss is the good Mexican food
Old 03-09-2019, 05:06 PM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by n2cars
I think we scared the OP off.
Some of those houses are tear downs actually
Old 03-09-2019, 05:35 PM
cbrett
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 73 Posts

WOW, WOW, WOW! Thank ya'll for all of the great info! I didn't expect to get this many responses. My wife and I need to digest it all!

Our main reason for considering a move is weather. OKC weather just blows, especially the winter. My wife has an autoimmune disorder that's significantly worsened when its cold, so we are wanting to get somewhere warmer. We aren't sure if its just a vacation home during the winter months or a permanent home, hence why we are considering Palm Springs (we are big architecture fans).

The number of people, politics, traffic, taxes, etc are all things we are worried about in regards to California, esp the LA area which is where I seem to have the best job opportunity. Ventura is also a possible landing spot for work. Just after a quick skim of responses, I am a bit disappointed to hear that its hard to get out of LA traffic to get to the good drives even on the weekends. Oh, and I looked at the Santa Monica homes on Redfin. Holey smokes!
Old 03-09-2019, 05:38 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Vintage72
Just join us down here in Austin! Decent track, great PCA chapter, fantastic roads and weekend drives, etc.
Austin is great, but too hot in summer and way too much rain year round. Cool town relative to the rest of Texas, but just can’t compare to California in anything except cost of living.

There are so many things I hate about California, but I doubt I’ll ever leave. The weather and the unimaginable beauty of the Central Coast is worth all the negatives. But I’d never live in LA. It’s basically Dallas with better weather.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:46 PM
RyanSD
Pro

Received 284 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by cbrett
WOW, WOW, WOW! Thank ya'll for all of the great info! I didn't expect to get this many responses. My wife and I need to digest it all!

Our main reason for considering a move is weather. OKC weather just blows, especially the winter. My wife has an autoimmune disorder that's significantly worsened when its cold, so we are wanting to get somewhere warmer. We aren't sure if its just a vacation home during the winter months or a permanent home, hence why we are considering Palm Springs (we are big architecture fans).

The number of people, politics, traffic, taxes, etc are all things we are worried about in regards to California, esp the LA area which is where I seem to have the best job opportunity. Ventura is also a possible landing spot for work. Just after a quick skim of responses, I am a bit disappointed to hear that its hard to get out of LA traffic to get to the good drives even on the weekends. Oh, and I looked at the Santa Monica homes on Redfin. Holey smokes!
I think you should really come check out San Diego. If you're looking for warm climate, the inland area of San Diego is not only beautiful, its warm and sunny. Check out areas like Rancho Bernardo, Scripps Ranch, Poway(a little more country lol), Carmel Mountain. There are many opportunities and A LOT of huge companies here. You can even check out Temecula. Much less expensive. All depends how far you want to be from the beach.

If you do decide to come out here, I would be happy to show you around haha.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:49 PM
cbrett
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes

But I’d never live in LA. It’s basically Dallas with better weather.
Totally agree with that. We lived in Dallas for 5 years and still spend a decent amount of time there for work, nearby tracks, and concerts. Its a concrete landscape of douchery and thirty thousand dollar millionaires. Its nice to visit for short periods of time, probably like LA, but I could never see us moving back. I lived outside of Austin in 2004-2006 and loved it. Its changed so much from then and not necessarily for the better. Its still a great city and has been a consideration for us as well.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:02 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

OKC is that part of Russia?

palm spring architecture are mostly "fake modern"...
trying too hard...
yes I am an architect.

from your description of weather needs, nor cal is out. SD and Santa Monica area of LA is best
yes anywhere pleasant in CA has frightening real estate prices.
anything in Santa Monica less than 1.5mm is either bathroom sized or a tear down.

and yes, if you live in LA, you cannot drive out of LA. I tried. it's never ending traffic any day any time.

politics in CA. I really don't feel much of that. I just found out that Obama is no longer the president b/c I see a funny man with blondish hair on TV named tump? the subtitle says POTUS... I need to read up on that. I also am not aware who our governor is. I enjoyed watching Arnold, but was told he is no longer in Sacramento.... so if you just let it go, there is no politics.

but traffic YES
tax... YES.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:18 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
OKC is that part of Russia?

palm spring architecture are mostly "fake modern"...
trying too hard...
yes I am an architect.

from your description of weather needs, nor cal is out. SD and Santa Monica area of LA is best
yes anywhere pleasant in CA has frightening real estate prices.
anything in Santa Monica less than 1.5mm is either bathroom sized or a tear down.

and yes, if you live in LA, you cannot drive out of LA. I tried. it's never ending traffic any day any time.

politics in CA. I really don't feel much of that. I just found out that Obama is no longer the president b/c I see a funny man with blondish hair on TV named tump? the subtitle says POTUS... I need to read up on that. I also am not aware who our governor is. I enjoyed watching Arnold, but was told he is no longer in Sacramento.... so if you just let it go, there is no politics.

but traffic YES
tax... YES.
mooty + HD (trailer tow) truck = 2 parking spaces min

Old 03-09-2019, 06:55 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

Another amazing place is Manhattan Beach. Also very expensive. Also love Palisades and Santa Monica, Brentwood or Cheviot Hills. Traffic does suck big time. Homeless problem is getting worse. It’s expensive. But worth it to me. I’m in tech and it’s here in Silicon Beach and I have an office in the valley in Nor Cal too.

I play golf early. 6:30am tee off. Home by 11. Drive tomorrow. Also early. My tennis club is walking distance. And my golf club is 20 minutes.

In Bay Area, check out Orinda and Lafayette. Very suburban, safe, trees, hikes etc etc.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:56 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

^ I don't know how many spaces I need. but I am know to hit a lot of stuff with my trailer (inc the poles at bridge toll booth, and I wondered why CHP was waving at me).... so ppl often give me extra space.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:58 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by rodsky
Another amazing place is Manhattan Beach. Also very expensive. Also love Palisades and Santa Monica, Brentwood or Cheviot Hills. Traffic does suck big time. Homeless problem is getting worse. It’s expensive. But worth it to me. I’m in tech and it’s here in Silicon Beach and I have an office in the valley in Nor Cal too.

I play golf early. 6:30am tee off. Home by 11. Drive tomorrow. Also early. My tennis club is walking distance. And my golf club is 20 minutes.

In Bay Area, check out Orinda and Lafayette. Very suburban, safe, trees, hikes etc etc.
Piedmont too

if you like some kind of 'city' aspect, the higher end parts of rock ridge, Berkeley hills and Oakland hills are nice. and there you have REAL architecture.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:10 PM
phow
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

Oh, and I looked at the Santa Monica homes on Redfin. Holey smokes!
It’s crazy. But it is, what it is.

I don’t mean to sound like a douche and I’m not claiming to know anything about your financial situation. The following statement is really just for anyone considering CA, specifically LA;

If 2-4M for a single family home is just not doable (lease or buy), don’t move to LA. That is what it costs to live in the more desirable areas where you will be surrounded by the things you would otherwise be constantly driving to. Could you do LA on a 1M or less housing budget? Sure. But the experience is going to be totally different and likely suck pretty bad. When I hear complaints from those that left LA, it’s usually a lot (not all) from people that just couldn’t afford to do LA right at this point in their lives. If they would have had a 3-4M housing budget and no lengthy required commute, most of them would have had a very different experience.

Personally, I knew I wanted to be here about 10 years ago and it was a big goal of mine when I started my first business. It took me 7 years to get to a place financially where I could move to CA and enjoy LA the way it is meant to be enjoyed.

I just wouldn’t recommend CA or LA as a place to try and do on a budget. I’m not saying this is your situation by any means. Again, I’m just speaking to anyone who might be reading this thread and considering making the move without the necessary budget to do it right.

Last edited by phow; 03-09-2019 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:23 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mooty
Piedmont too

if you like some kind of 'city' aspect, the higher end parts of rock ridge, Berkeley hills and Oakland hills are nice. and there you have REAL architecture.
Agreed. piedmont is great. My uncle and aunt live there. It’s before the Caldecott tunnel so not as hot in the summer as Orinda etc.

If you’re considering smaller towns SLO and Sonoma are also great. Not as expensive as Bay or LA, but awesome options. So many choices, that are great but be prepared to bring the $$ or come here for the opportunity. You put up with some stuff but it is a good lifestyle and a land of opportunity..
Old 03-09-2019, 07:30 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Archimedes

But I’d never live in LA. It’s basically Dallas with better weather.
funny I never saw anything that looked like Manhattan Beach, Malibu, Santa Monica, Palisades etc., in Dallas. Maybe you don’t know where to go. Pity.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:35 PM
mass27
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 108 Posts

I'll weigh in, even if it's repetitive to what many other's have said.

Pros:
Best weather. Qualified in the con list below
Best food.
Some of the best golf
Some of the best ski
Real estate appreciation
Best tech
Some of the highest comp
Lots of tracks
Lots and lots and lots of cars and money and planes and boats and money and stuff and money
Best beaches
Massive area

Cons:
Tax rates
Real estate prices
Anywhere other than South OC, West LA, Bay Area, San Diego is a vast land of dirt and heat
Morally, politically, financially bankrupt
Vacuous people
Holy crap can the traffic be any worse from OC to LA, from OC to OC, from LA to LA, from anywhere to anywhere
Women who wear gloves and scarfs when the temp drops in the 50s
Paleo, Vegan, Vegetarian, Keto, Bulletproof, Atkins and every other made up term for some bs fad diet that infects every conversation
Health care
Immigration

Last edited by mass27; 03-09-2019 at 10:05 PM.

Quick Reply: California lifestyle?