Notices

Cayenne steering wheel finish

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 12:29 PM
DrShafty
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayenne steering wheel finish

2012 Cayenne Turbo, with the multifunction wheel. I've approached a number of professionals including the dealer to solve this issue: the 3 spokes connecting the center boss to the leather rim are finished in a plasticized (Imron type) paint. While the wheel overall is in very good shape, the paint at 9 and 3, where the spokes connect with the rim and where my hands frequently rest, is worn and bubbled.

I'd like to refinish this area.

Short of replacing the steering wheel which seems a bit ridiculous, has anyone dealt with this problem?

thanks in advance.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:30 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

www.craftcustoms.com
Old 03-08-2019, 09:38 AM
DrShafty
Intermediate

Wink

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
thanks Bob

I emailed them to get a quote. One thing, maybe obvious but worth asking. Do I need VAG to reconnect the steering wheel? Would hate to take it off and then not have the car recognize it after reinstallation.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:57 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

I am not sure what you are implying might happen but I have had the steering wheel off my 991.2 and did not have any issues when I reinstalled it - no codes, no required resets, etc.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:59 AM
DrShafty
Intermediate

I am not sure what you are implying might happen but I have had the steering wheel off my 991.2 and did not have any issues when I reinstalled it - no codes, no required resets, etc.
Just an experience changing a window switch. Wouldn't work until the dealer 'installed' the switch per VAG.

thanks

Old 03-08-2019, 10:03 AM
DrShafty
Intermediate

It occurs to me that disconnecting the battery before pulling the wheel is the determinative operation: if the battery is disconnected the car won't know anything is removed or replaced. No need for VAG update.

Quick Reply: Cayenne steering wheel finish