Bumper license plate holes - a solution

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 06:44 PM
GregJGT3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bumper license plate holes - a solution

License plate holes in the front bumper and valance

Original hole size showing surrounding bumper cover material “pulled out” as a result of using the typical sheet metal screw for license plate holder installation.

Use a hair dryer on high temp to soften the bumper cover material and a plastic stick to push the surrounding “proud” material back into the hole. This will make the bumper cover material surface flat.

Source small “plastic revits” (available online from McMastet-Carr in various sizes and types -your choice as needed). Paint them a color to match your car and push into the hole.

These revits are very small, post size big enough to fit the hole and head/button to cover size of holes. They fit very tight yet are easily removable, unlike the “ribbed” posts of the commercially available bumper plug products.

Esthitcs are optimum with minimal invasion to the original painted bumper cover.
The following users liked this post:
BlueNorther (08-06-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 12:31 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Nice job but I still recommend bumperplugs.come since Eric makes them to be a perfect match and so many P-car owners have them they are close to looking stock!
Old 01-13-2019, 01:34 AM
GregJGT3
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Nice job but I still recommend bumperplugs.come since Eric makes them to be a perfect match and so many P-car owners have them they are close to looking stock!
I think using “bumperplugs” is great if that works for you. They do provide the plugs already painted. I didn’t want to drill out a 1/8” hole to 1/4” size and I didn’t want to put a thick plug that was 1/2” in diameter in my bumper fascia. I did talk to the “bumperplugs” people to see if they could offer any alternatives. They couldn’t offer anything beyond drilling out my holes to twice the size and putting on a 1/2” plug. After throrough research I came up with a plug that fit the existing 1/8” hole, was .040” thick and 5/32” in diameter. It worked well for me so I thought I would pass along the alternative for the Rennlist community as an option.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:51 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

And whatever works best for you. I posted what I did to help others as well but I agree that you have a somewhat unique situation.

Quick Reply: Bumper license plate holes - a solution