Notices

991.1GT3...or 997.24S + C7 Grand Sport???

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 01:35 PM
jimmy_is_here
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question 991.1GT3...or 997.24S + C7 Grand Sport???

Hey all, looking for some collective guidance as I think through some options. Fully aware this group has some biases, but hear me out

I currently own a 997.2 4S w/PDK. Love the car. It's my commuter about 1/3 of the time (commuting won't be an issue going forward, getting a Mazda CX-5 for groceries) and I make it out to the track 3-4 times/year -- hoping this increases, as this was an extremely busy year. As much as I have enjoyed this car, and love that it is not too over the top, I can't help but be envious of the GT3s and Corvette C7 Grand Sports I see out there. The power, overall track capability, looks, etc. The options I am considering are 1) trade C4S up for a 991.1 2014/15 GT3 or 2) KEEP the C4S AND pick up a 2017/18 C7 Grand Sport. I have never owned a car that has cost more than $70K and having one very expensive car freaks me out a bit. Long-term value/depreciation, cost of upkeep, insurance, etc. do matter, though I'm looking more for driving experience comparisons. I doubt I will be able to track both cars before deciding. Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 12-26-2018, 02:20 PM
fastcars914
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

First off, let me say I have not driven a 911 (sacrilege, I know), nor a C7 Corvette, but I have been in one and driven a C6 Corvette. But, I will offer my humble opinion and some thoughts for you.

What makes you want to have a GT3? Is it just for the looks and status, or the performance? How daily drivable will the GT3 be for you? Would the price and comfort of the car deter you from driving it as often? I don't know if you're considering the sports seats or the couches. Another thing to consider, the GT3 will likely hold it's value much better than the C7 and 4S. That's the GT3 argument.

Here's the C7/4S argument. Having a rear-engined and front engined car can result in two very unique driving experiences, and if you're like me, that's a good thing. Variety is the spice of life. Plus, the C7 could be used more daily because it'll cause less envy and attract less negative attention than a GT3. How's your area? Do you have to worry about people getting jealous and keying (or worse) your cars? However, the 4S and C7 will depreciate more than the GT3. Regardless, I would get a used C7 to mitigate that. I personally love the driving experience of Corvettes, but the quality is lacking a bit, as it is ultimately a fast Chevy. In addition, having a front/rear engined cars can make taking them to the track more rewarding due to the different experiences. Also, the C7 would most definitely cost less to keep up (see fast Chevy).

These are just some thoughts for you to mull over. I wish you the best with whatever you decide, and both options are great!

IMHO, I'd go the 997+C7 route, I love variety! If you can't tell by my signature.

Last edited by fastcars914; 12-26-2018 at 02:50 PM.
Old 12-26-2018, 02:51 PM
jimmy_is_here
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Totally agree on the variety piece! My other cars right now include a 92 Acura NSX, 01 Honda S2000, 67 Porsche 912, and 72 Datsun 240Z I used to also have a Porsche 996, but I am trying to reduce the stressful aspect of this hobby and managing everything. I may also sell either the Datsun or 912, another internal debate.

Maybe the right call here is GT3 + C7!?!? And just figure out when I can afford that, lol. In the meanwhile, I'm going to try renting both off Turo and spend some quality time with both before making a call.
Old 12-26-2018, 03:00 PM
fastcars914
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

That's a very smart move to try to rent them off of Turo beforehand, I'm definitely planning on doing the same when my next purchase rolls around. LOVE your collection of other cars too! If you can swing it, I'd definitely go GT3+C7! Before I got my S2K, I'd say sell that, but I could never let go of mine because of the handling! From a logical standpoint, sell the Datsun because you already have a couple other Japanese cars, keep the 912 to go with the 911. But that's the logical piece. Anyone with multiple cars that once you get 3+, all logic goes out the door and it's pure emotion! Haha! I can agree with the hobby being stressful though, I'm always fixing/upgrading my cars. It's a disease I tell you! I can't just leave my cars stock haha!

PS, if you do decide to sell the Datsun, PM me. A friend of mine has been lusting after one for quite some time! (That's not why I said to sell it fyi).

Quick Reply: 991.1GT3...or 997.24S + C7 Grand Sport???