PPI?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 06:51 PM
apo128
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPI?

Hi,

Been out of the P car game for about 4 years since I sold my 993 and thinking about getting back in with a 2015/2016 991. Most likely thinking of going CPO from dealer.

This is where my question comes in. If I decide to go CPO do people still recommend getting a PPI done at an independent shop (and is this something common that people do when buying CPO)? Additionally, I don't entirely trust Car Fax as when I traded in my wifes BMW I saw a clean Car Fax yet I had filed a reported insurance claim due to an accident so want to make sure that there is no possible accident/frame damage. Just read a couple of other threads where people had the car shipped to them and had problems. Goal is to hopefully stay local but considering nationwide search.

Also, thinking about possibly going cabriolet if people have any opinions to help sway me one way or another? The car will not be tracked.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Last edited by apo128; 11-24-2018 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12-22-2018, 01:54 AM
d0nwhit
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently purchased a '16 CS and relied on trusting the CPO. Been doing follow-up research since and while all appears well (mechanically) for now, reading threads like the following sounds to me like an independent PPI is probably the way to go. That just about kills the idea of purchasing via internet from remote locations IMHO. Not sure I'd do it again. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, it's only been 700 mi and just under 2 months. I am having other dealership problems though, hopefully they get resolved. On the other hand, the one that you desire may never show up locally.

https://rennlist.com/forums/general-...-to-fix-3.html
Old 12-23-2018, 08:04 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,366 Likes on 2,309 Posts

Some people swear they would get a PPI on a used mower off Craigslist but if it is a clean. low mileage car from a P-car dealer with a CPO I think I would pass, unless to see uneven panel gaps or other things that make you question it.

Personally, I have to have an open air car for the sports car I own. Again, other swear that Cabs and Targas are slow, overweight, etc. but geez, if you are not going to track it who cares?! I started looking for a preowned Cab and wound up ordering a Targa GTS after much looking, test drives, etc., and I am very picky in regards to colors/options so I had to order. Worst case get a car with a sunroof but they are not the same as a Cab or Targa!
Old 12-25-2018, 05:56 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,967 Likes on 2,045 Posts

On a CPO car from a dealer, I personally would feel fine either way since all mechanical items would be covered. Just give a good look over on the paint. If you are happy with the condition, then go for it. You can also have them meter it in front of you to make sure no panels have been repainted. But as long as it was not for an accident, I don't think I would let that turn me off.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:34 PM
my04996tt
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Be aware that CPO car doesn't mean that the car hasn't previously had body/paint work done. I learned that hard way, with my first p-car (08 Boxster S). Dealer had CPO'ed the car and swore there was no previous paint work. Foolishly I trusted them... Only to find out that Porsche will still CPO a car if there are 2 or less body panels worked on. Ended up taking a hit when trading in for another p-car..
Old 01-06-2019, 05:38 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

I just picked up a 2015 911 Carrera 4 GTS from my local Porsche dealer. The car was CPO'd. It was more of a consignment sale for a good customer of theirs.

The car had a mere 101 miles on it, so I did not worry about a PPI.

I did run my Defelsko paint thickness gauge over the bodywork and I also connected my laptop and Durametric to the car. 6.77 hours of engine run time and zero over-revs in all 6 ranges. Good enough for me. Never even test drove it.

As for a PPI, like anything else, it depends who is doing it. I would observe every aspect of it.

Silly boy for selling the 993. I kept mine. After all, they are real Porsches.

Quick Reply: PPI?