Notices

CarFax question

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 09:47 PM
Dkk16
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts
Default CarFax question

Some Jackhole backed into me while it was parked in the parking lot, so now I have a small scuff and two small scratches on the back rear bumper of our new car. I would post a picture but it is literally impossible to see. I plan on taking it two a couple of detailing restoration places next week. If they can't repair it somehow I may have to go thru our Insurance. I really don't want it showing up as a Carfax event because of the perceived negativity of the incident, and because it is so minor.

My question is does the Insurance Company or the Body Shop submit an "event" to Carfax? Can I ask "whoever" not to report the event because it is so insignificant?
Old 11-27-2018, 05:00 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Dkk16
Some Jackhole backed into me while it was parked in the parking lot, so now I have a small scuff and two small scratches on the back rear bumper of our new car. I would post a picture but it is literally impossible to see. I plan on taking it two a couple of detailing restoration places next week. If they can't repair it somehow I may have to go thru our Insurance. I really don't want it showing up as a Carfax event because of the perceived negativity of the incident, and because it is so minor.
My question is does the Insurance Company or the Body Shop submit an "event" to Carfax? Can I ask "whoever" not to report the event because it is so insignificant?
Normally, it would be the insurance company or the police office. And, it depends on the severity. If it's super minor damage (as in your case), then most insurance companies won't report it. Best advice is to keep detailed records and photographs just in case if it does show up down the road. At least you can't prove it was minor damage.
Old 12-01-2018, 12:44 AM
jms935
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it’s that minor why even bother risking it? Just pay for it out of pocket and get it repaired at a shop that will NOT report the work. How much will it save you going through insurance with your deductible? Probably not much, it may not even cover your deductible, meaning you’d be shooting yourself in the foot just by reporting it. It would still count as an insurance claim, and possibly also end up on Carfax. Suck it up and go out of pocket, save insurance for a bigger claim. That’s my two cents worth.

Quick Reply: CarFax question