Notices

Porsche aircraft engines

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 09:06 PM
Johnny Mayday
Rennlist Town Crier

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Porsche aircraft engines

When I was a little kid, my dad had a 1966 Piper Cherokee, so I spent a lot of time at small airports, and loved getting to do touch and gos. Often I would hear dad and his friends talk about Mooneys as the Porsches of the skies, but I didn't know some actually had Porsche engines in them? So I thought this post was pretty cool. Given that Porsche stopped supporting the engines over a decade ago, I'd be curious to know how many are still flying around with Porsche power...

Old 10-04-2018, 10:01 PM
Johnny Mayday
Rennlist Town Crier

Just talked to my dad, and he says he can't remember actually seeing one with Porsche power...
Old 10-08-2018, 02:26 AM
pepperpepper
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny Mayday
When I was a little kid, my dad had a 1966 Piper Cherokee, so I spent a lot of time at small airports, and loved getting to do touch and gos. Often I would hear dad and his friends talk about Mooneys as the Porsches of the skies, but I didn't know some actually had Porsche engines in them? So I thought this post was pretty cool. Given that Porsche stopped supporting the engines over a decade ago, I'd be curious to know how many are still flying around with Porsche power...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMAoZkPhTro
Based on a couple internet rabbit holes I’ve fell down on the subject, I’m fairly certain that if there are any airworthy Mooney M20Js with the Porsche motor, there can’t be much more than one or two. I saw once that in 2011 there were less than ten with valid airworthiness certificates. I would love for someone to prove me wrong though.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:06 PM
Johnny Mayday
Rennlist Town Crier

Wow! They are rare birds!
Old 10-12-2018, 09:48 PM
regajohn
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts

My brother-in-law actually won one in the late 1980s. It was either a Mooney promotional plane or Sporty's Pilot Shop promotional plane, but he won from Sporty's.

He said I had about 100 hours on it when he won it. He never actually took legal possession of it. He did go down to Sporty's and get pictures taken with it, and he kept the model, and has all the paperwork, but legally it transferred from Sporty's to whomever he sold it to.

I checked the tail number and it appears to be still flying as the airworthiness is valid through July of 2019.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:47 AM
Steve Jensen
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The subject of Porsche engines comes up occasionally on aviation.stackexchange.com - https://aviation.stackexchange.com/search?q=porsche

Quick Reply: Porsche aircraft engines