Notices

Trumps tariffs a potential threat?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 08:43 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
The impact of tariffs will be to destroy thousands upon thousands of jobs many in red states. He will not get reelected and his popularity will plummet. The economy will go in the chitter and it will be a real chit show.

they still have my.1 RS that I traded in. Wondering whether I should go get it and cancel the deal . My delivery date is October. .

there is no effing way I am going to pay $40,000-$50,000 government tax on top of what I’m paying for the car .

I am not sure if I complete the purchase once we have a Vin number and get a bill of sale from them whether that will protect me from the tariff. Candidly I do not know. . I would hate to go in even deeper and still get hit with a tariff
MY advice is do nothing. I believe deliveries in October will fall within the safe zone.

Trump is suppose to receive a report from the commerce department analyzing whether the present EU tariffs on US cars is a national security risk. I don't believe there is one person on this planet who believes the report will state that the European tariffs are not a security risk. That report is due late July or late August. Once submitted, Trump will huff and puff to see if he can extract something from the Europeans. If not, he'll say I'll give you 60-90 days to do something or the Tariffs will be imposed. He knows this tariff is a big and not to be applied cavalierly. The consequences for will be enormous for both sides.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:07 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,638 Likes on 2,360 Posts

Originally Posted by race7117
I don't want to talk about this.........I'm going to get drunk.....
Old 07-13-2018, 09:10 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,638 Likes on 2,360 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer
The impact of tariffs will be to destroy thousands upon thousands of jobs many in red states. He will not get reelected and his popularity will plummet. The economy will go in the chitter and it will be a real chit show.

they still have my.1 RS that I traded in. Wondering whether I should go get it and cancel the deal . My delivery date is October. .

there is no effing way I am going to pay $40,000-$50,000 government tax on top of what I’m paying for the car .

I am not sure if I complete the purchase once we have a Vin number and get a bill of sale from them whether that will protect me from the tariff. Candidly I do not know. . I would hate to go in even deeper and still get hit with a tariff
+1 I already gave the big orange **** too much of my money to fritter away on his lunatic ideas ...
Old 07-13-2018, 10:11 PM
2006m5
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Don't think it will happen ...Germany sent someone to the whitehouse.
to discuss.
The Germans know it will hurt them big time...they will do there best to prevent.
i wouldn't worry about it'....I think he has it out for the Chinese.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:26 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 2006m5
The Germans know it will hurt them big time...they will do there best to prevent.
i wouldn't worry about it'....I think he has it out for the Chinese.
Maybe next week it will be Germany. Or Latvia. Or Antarctica. Nobody knows.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:30 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 818 Likes on 430 Posts

I tend to agree with Nick, Larry and 2006M5.

So I called and spoke to my sale manager. He said I can walk from the deal if tariff's are imposed, no problem and they will cut me a check for my car.
He told me he has been following this issue closely and does not believe tariffs will be imposed. He told me the Germans are already signaling a willingness to reduce their tariffs to equal ours.
I tend to think the EU and Germans will resolve the issue with the White House as tariffs with the EU/Germany would be devastating for both side. I think Trump understands this but the EU believes he is crazy enough to maybe impose them so it has them coming to table.

My delivery is Mid October so I am hoping to make it under the wire if the chit hits the fan.
Beyond worrying about my RS I believe car tariffs would be too destructive on both sides to justify them. Bad idea. It will hurt our economy and thousands of American families.

Old 07-13-2018, 10:40 PM
WernerE
Three Wheelin'

Received 343 Likes on 176 Posts

I'm not going to handicap the odds of 25% tariffs, but I can tell you U.S. Auto Dealers are taking it seriously. Pull up a recent Automotive News for more detail. Tariffs would be a disaster. Just today, Mitch McConnell was quoted that it's possible we're at the beginning of a trade war. Let's hope it's not a slippery slope.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:49 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 818 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by WernerE
I'm not going to handicap the odds of 25% tariffs, but I can tell you U.S. Auto Dealers are taking it seriously. Pull up a recent Automotive News for more detail. Tariffs would be a disaster. Just today, Mitch McConnell was quoted that it's possible we're at the beginning of a trade war. Let's hope it's not a slippery slope.
Yes, they are absolutely taking it very seriously according to my sales manager. Auto dealer organizations and Unions are going hard at the threatened tariffs in Washington.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:04 PM
Raucky
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahhh.....you guys gave me heart burn! I think, I'd back out as well unfortunately.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:08 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

Paulaner hefeweizen.................Fruh.....................Weihenstaphener too many beers to worry about this right now
Old 07-13-2018, 11:29 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 309 Posts

Assuming this happens, for those that would want or need to back out of an existing purchase to avoid a federal tax amounting to 40k, would you then be looking for already titled cars? Or do you just pass on the whole thing at that point?
Old 07-13-2018, 11:35 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 788 Likes on 398 Posts

I would walk away in 5 minutes. I have a .2 GT3, so I would just keep driving it unless I could buy the car later used for MSRP or maybe a little more. In my case, it would be interesting to see what happens. Does Porsche eat some of it? Does my ADM from the dealer go towards the Tariff? Some of us ADM guys might be OK and get the car for the original price anyway and the dealers make MSRP.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:35 PM
race7117
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Ceepe
Assuming this happens, for those that would want or need to back out of an existing purchase to avoid a federal tax amounting to 40k, would you then be looking for already titled cars? Or do you just pass on the whole thing at that point?
I'm looking for a Flemish sour maybe a Duchess of Bourgogne, next beer please!
Old 07-13-2018, 11:44 PM
boisenelson
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by race7117
I don't want to talk about this.........I'm going to get drunk.....
I just poured a Scotch and I am making a toast to the fact that I spent my $$ before all the political sparks started flying.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:54 PM
manitou202
Burning Brakes

Received 408 Likes on 159 Posts

If tariffs go into effect then what about Porsche simply stopping shipments and taking a wait and see approach. Hold the cars at port for a couple of months to see if a deal is reached.

It would suck either way.

Quick Reply: Trumps tariffs a potential threat?