Notices

PPF + Headlights Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 01:35 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Received 652 Likes on 376 Posts
Default PPF + Headlights Question

Had my car wrapped with Suntek. Told shop specifically DO NOT put film on the headlights due to the potential issue with de-lamination of the UV film from the factory. But the shop wrapped the lights.

So... what do I do? Do I leave the film on and hope that in however many years when I remove the film, it doesn't mess up the lights? And if it does, then I have to deal with contacting this shop to get them to foot the bill?

Or have them remove the film now and get it over with. They said if it de-laminates, they can just re-coat the lights with another UV film. But I don't like the idea of having a $200K+ car with all sorts of band-aid fixes on it. I don't even know if you can "re-coat" the headlights with a factory UV coating. I was under the impression you need to outright replace the headlights with new units.

And if they remove the film now, but it leaves behind glue, can it be buffed off without destroying the UV coating?
Old 06-10-2018, 12:47 PM
Kaduku
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If it' a big concern, have them remove it now. It should not leave any damage. I had my shop remove mine that had been on for a year or so without issues. Don' wait for It to maybe set in. Now if my Porsche was 200k, then I could probably afford new headlamps.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:30 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kaduku
Now if my Porsche was 200k, then I could probably afford new headlamps.
I shouldn't have to buy new headlights due to a shop causing future damage to mine, when I specifically instructed them not to wrap them.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:01 AM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

It can come off without damage, talk to Moe at glistening perfection, he is a member here. I did the lights on my new 911.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:17 PM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Why not leave it alone? If the OE lights have a UV film / coating and the PPF adds another layer of UV protection what's the issue? If, years from now, the PPF fails and needs to be removed you can have them clean up the headlights and reapply more PPF for additional years of protection.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:29 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

The typical recommendation is to install and never remove. Or never install. You might still be able to remove if it hasn't been on long. Depends on the temperature and conditions, but it could take many days for film to completely adhere. Depending on how long its been on there, you could remove the film before its 100% cured/baked on, which could cause spider cracks to form in the laminate.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:16 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 708 Likes on 369 Posts

Old 06-19-2018, 01:46 AM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Yeah, I'm leaving the film on for now I guess.

The problem with that, however, is film does not last forever. It will need to come off at some point...
I've seen the video in the thread linked. Seems easy enough, but I haven't decided if I still trust the shop who did the install.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:48 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 708 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by FourT6and2
Yeah, I'm leaving the film on for now I guess.

The problem with that, however, is film does not last forever. It will need to come off at some point...
As long as installer goes slow and uses steam, it should be OK. We’ve removed them from 001 headlights that had film on for 3-4 years, it wasn’t an issue.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:18 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

Traded my 2015 C2S for an Endurance Racing Edition C2S on Saturday. The full frontal and lower sides were wrapped with PPF. The PPF was approaching 3.5 years and showed some age, small pitting from stones, and some dirty edges from pressure washing. 9973 miles on the odometer.
Brought my new one in for some free detailing Monday. When my SA took me out to see my car, the one next to it was my trade in. They had just stripped the PPF off, including that on the headlights. The paint and headlights underneath looked brand new! Perfect in every way. No worries, mate!!
As in that great song: " That's the way to do it!"

Quick Reply: PPF + Headlights Question