Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 02:31 PM
SG56
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking My first 911.

Hello Rennlist!

A Porsche noob introduction

I was due for a new car, looking at a BMW 650 convertible, or an A7, maybe the S5 convertible, when the bestest husband of all suggested i test drive a Porsche.
It never crossed my mind as it is a bit outside of my financial comfort zone (welcom Ramen noodles hahaha). It was on the "one day" list, but he reminded me that life is short, that i work very, very hard, and that i am not a person who just dreams, and let things never happen, but rather take action and fulfill the dream.
We had to give up motorcycle racing, which left a void that is hard to fill. And well, a few dollars that can go into a lease payment. Racing is expensive.

I test drove a 718 and a 2013 CPO 911 4S manual. Loved the 4S and was ready to buy, but the dealer wasn't motivated to sell.

I also talked to a few Porsche friends who all agreed it was a great idea.
My friend Mark J, fellow motorcycle racer and successful GT2 racer, said that he thinks the 4S is the right choice for me. That's like the CPO one i test drove and fell in love with.

Long story short

Once i test drove the 911, that was pretty much it
I decided that my 911 should be manual, and it was a challenge to find one in the country. The friendly folks at Joe Rizza Orland Park located one of the three black manual 4Ss in country and it arrived almost three weeks ago!

Somewhere in Michigan a little car was told that it got adopted and i was all giddy!!
"Someone adopted ME today! It's the best day of my life!!"

My parents drove rally and i grew up around cars, my dad always dreaming of a 911. He died very early, at 53. I inherited his love and passion for speed and watches.

Among the very few things I have from him (a war got in the way there) is a Porsche pen.
Probably of no material value, but of an immense personal value to me.

The sales guy, Mike, suggested i sign the paperwork with this pen, which i did, which made me feel like he was there with me, smiling, approving, and patting me on the back.

After a few sleepless nights, my new car was ready for me!!

Thanks to my friends from real life and online for all their help and advice.
Most of all, big thanks to my husband for believing that i deserve this car.

And right away, thanks to rennlist for the radar mount installation instructions

i can't wait for my first track day <3

t.

Dad on the left. We've had NSU TTs

Mom, stickering up her Fiat

Old 06-04-2018, 11:37 AM
Kaduku
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think the best color for a 911. Beautiful!!!
Old 06-04-2018, 12:48 PM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Congrats on the new purchase. Your first thread was a real winner... enjoyed reading it.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:52 PM
SG56
Track Day

Thank you both!
I'm still surprised each time i go in the garage
Old 06-04-2018, 01:14 PM
masti99
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 87 Posts

Congrats, enjoy in good health!
Old 06-06-2018, 02:46 PM
pullover
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All the best to you and your 911. Great heart warming story. THE PEN, has come full circle, to your Dad, to you, to your 911 becoming yours with the stroke of the pen.
Maybe you call keep your 911 track log book with THE PEN!
Mt. Tremblant & Mosport are to great Canadian tracks to consider.
Good luck, be Safe, pullover
Old 06-07-2018, 01:28 AM
SG56
Track Day

Originally Posted by masti99
Congrats, enjoy in good health!
Thank you!

Originally Posted by pullover
All the best to you and your 911. Great heart warming story. THE PEN, has come full circle, to your Dad, to you, to your 911 becoming yours with the stroke of the pen.
Maybe you call keep your 911 track log book with THE PEN!
Mt. Tremblant & Mosport are to great Canadian tracks to consider.
Good luck, be Safe, pullover
Aww, thank you!!

That's a great idea about the track log! I will do that!
I've heard of Mt. Tremblant, always wanted to do a bike event there, but it didn't work out.

Thank you again!
Old 06-08-2018, 02:05 AM
Elumere
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

What a touching story..

Your giddiness comes across so genuine and full of warmth.

I bought my 996 shortly after the passing of my father at 60, and it's done wonders to the process of grieving.

Make sure to drive it often, over long distances as well as short (the 911 is a fantastic tourer, we did 3 weeks across country and about 7k miles for our first trip) ones, and flog it around the track! There's little value in oreserving its low milage.

Enjoy! Gorgeous car!
Old 06-08-2018, 04:00 AM
pullover
Instructor

Default First 911

To continue a bit about tracks; I have not been at Mt Tremblant or Mosport in many years, however fond memories linger about them. They are both historic former F1 tracks. They share natural elevation changes, European type blind apexes and exits. They have fast sweepers & straights, technical sections, both aprox. 21/2 miles of challenges & rewards. Mt. Tremblant is near the ski area it shares its name with, in a beautiful mt. setting.
Having the good fortune of driving, racing & instructing on dozens of U.S.& Canadian tracks, Mt. Tremblant & Mospot are an easy top 5 pick along with R.I.P.- Bridghampton @ #1, Watkins Glen & Sebring, (only flat track in top 5)
While watching The Isle of Man M.C. races today, I was thinking our P.C.A. and new young members can someday arrange a race on the Isle.
Best of luck with your 911, the above are some of the venues where your 911 may shine. Enjoy getting familiar with your new friend. Sometimes a peaceful mt.ride is all one needs in a "P" car.
Let The Pen lead the way. Great story & metaphor.
Be Safe!
Old 06-09-2018, 01:46 AM
SG56
Track Day

Originally Posted by Elumere
What a touching story..

Your giddiness comes across so genuine and full of warmth.

I bought my 996 shortly after the passing of my father at 60, and it's done wonders to the process of grieving.

Make sure to drive it often, over long distances as well as short (the 911 is a fantastic tourer, we did 3 weeks across country and about 7k miles for our first trip) ones, and flog it around the track! There's little value in oreserving its low milage.

Enjoy! Gorgeous car!
Thank you so much!
I have some trips in mind. I figured it would be comfortable. Those seats are amazing.
I can't wait to drive it on the track.

The only thing that blows my mind is the amount of brake dust, even just around town. I don't even want to know what will it look like after a track day, hahahaha!

Thank you again for your kind words!

To continue a bit about tracks; I have not been at Mt Tremblant or Mosport in many years, however fond memories linger about them. They are both historic former F1 tracks. They share natural elevation changes, European type blind apexes and exits. They have fast sweepers & straights, technical sections, both aprox. 21/2 miles of challenges & rewards. Mt. Tremblant is near the ski area it shares its name with, in a beautiful mt. setting.
Having the good fortune of driving, racing & instructing on dozens of U.S.& Canadian tracks, Mt. Tremblant & Mospot are an easy top 5 pick along with R.I.P.- Bridghampton @ #1, Watkins Glen & Sebring, (only flat track in top 5)
While watching The Isle of Man M.C. races today, I was thinking our P.C.A. and new young members can someday arrange a race on the Isle.
Best of luck with your 911, the above are some of the venues where your 911 may shine. Enjoy getting familiar with your new friend. Sometimes a peaceful mt.ride is all one needs in a "P" car.
Let The Pen lead the way. Great story & metaphor.
Be Safe!
Thank you!
There are no mountain rides around Chicago All we have is a few curves on frontage roads and everyone is aware of that, yes, even the police.
That's what led to exploring the tracks on the bike.

I often wonder if the same tracks would be my favorites, as they were on the bike.
I looked into signing up for school, at Barber or Road Atlanta.

I even made it grocery shopping. All worried nothing will fit, but that trunk is actually bigger than it seems

Thank you again! I will plan a visit to Canada!

t.
Old 06-09-2018, 06:21 PM
pullover
Instructor

Not sure if you are a PCA member, perhaps P. car dealer registered you @ pca.org If you are in C.town I believe that is zone 13, Chicago region. Good place to start, events, drivers ed., auto C, tours, etc. I believe their PCA race 9/1-9/3 @ Road America. Once the longest road course in U.S. 4+ miles.(FAST).
Brake dust/? I assume during purchase you did a brake assessment, pads, rotors, fluid?
If you are getting into drivers ed. right away, look into, extra set of race pads, maybe even an intermediate compound if you not changing to hard compound, at track.
By the looks of your posted pics. you may have the perfect DNA .
Life is a road course, its about the journey not the finish line.
Old 06-09-2018, 10:57 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,111 Likes on 669 Posts

Congrats--and glad to see the MT. Enjoy!
Old 06-11-2018, 12:59 PM
SG56
Track Day

Not sure if you are a PCA member, perhaps P. car dealer registered you @ pca.org If you are in C.town I believe that is zone 13, Chicago region. Good place to start, events, drivers ed., auto C, tours, etc. I believe their PCA race 9/1-9/3 @ Road America. Once the longest road course in U.S. 4+ miles.(FAST).
Brake dust/? I assume during purchase you did a brake assessment, pads, rotors, fluid?
If you are getting into drivers ed. right away, look into, extra set of race pads, maybe even an intermediate compound if you not changing to hard compound, at track.
By the looks of your posted pics. you may have the perfect DNA .
Life is a road course, its about the journey not the finish line.
Thank you! Registered and Joined pca and chicago region!
It's a new vehicle, so i didn't asses anything :[
I did ask if the fluids would make it thru a track day and if i needed to flush them afterwards.
I remember a friend of mine mentioning it, when i wanted to take the mini cooper out. I never did.

So, it's the stock pads, whatever they are.
Does ferodo or sbs make pads for cars? I'll have to check that out

Originally Posted by bkrantz
Congrats--and glad to see the MT. Enjoy!
Thank you!
Old 06-11-2018, 02:19 PM
gsxr_fvr
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Congrats,
Gorgeous car & Very sharp pics, mind sharing what Lens you used for those pics?
Old 06-11-2018, 06:56 PM
pullover
Instructor

Hey SG56,
If you are doing first D.E.with PCA, any region, they will require Tech. Insp. Your Chicago region has tech. advice #s or sites avail. & proper Insp. protocol. Brake pads are personal preference, Pagid, Ferodo PFC(PerformanceFriction), & on. You raced MC, so same approach, safety first & always. I would get a fresh base line & document: Tires,brakes, fluids, wheel condition & torque, alignment, leaks, etc.......
Be Safe!

Quick Reply: My first 911.