Lost it in a 991 4s

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 01:07 AM
nfeduska
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lost it in a 991 4s

Hey Guys,

Looking for a little driving advice. I was pushing my C4S today at about 35-40mph around a flat onramp. I let off the gas early/mid intrry (probably the wrong thing to do) and lost the backend, stepped off the gas and the front end corrected and saved me from spinning out. Is this normal? All 4 tires were rubbing/sliding when the computer kicked in and corrected. I'm well aware of the old 911's/930s backends going out with the oversteer issues, etc., but I thought this behavior was corrected a few moons ago... Any suggestions on how to engage/disengage and avoid the rails going forward?

Much appreciated,

Nate
Old 03-10-2018, 11:12 AM
shekmark
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In the third sentence, did you mean to say that you stepped back on the gas and the front wheel drive pulled you back, after your mid turn stepping off the gas?
Old 03-12-2018, 01:22 PM
nfeduska
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

shekmark, when i stepped off the throttle all 4 corners lost traction, especially the front end with the weight distribution being shifted mostly to the rear.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:34 PM
Cargt63
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nfeduska
Hey Guys,

Looking for a little driving advice. I was pushing my C4S today at about 35-40mph around a flat onramp. I let off the gas early/mid intrry (probably the wrong thing to do) and lost the backend, stepped off the gas and the front end corrected and saved me from spinning out. Is this normal? All 4 tires were rubbing/sliding when the computer kicked in and corrected. I'm well aware of the old 911's/930s backends going out with the oversteer issues, etc., but I thought this behavior was corrected a few moons ago... Any suggestions on how to engage/disengage and avoid the rails going forward?

Much appreciated,

Nate
Nate,

First mistake, you went into the corner too fast. You should gain speed in a corner, not loose speed. Hit the brakes before the corner (when you are stiil going in a straight line) and then carefully get on the throttle when you enter the corner and slowly increase your speed.
Second mistake never go off the throttle mid-corner. Your Porsche can probably do more than you expect/dare, and as long as you keep feeding power to the tires to pull you through, you have a better chance of saving your butt. Especially when it is wet. The electronics will moderate power so you cannot overdo it. But better take it slower next time and only start building up more cornering speed once you get more comfortable and experienced. Even better, take a course for high speed driving. You will learn basic skills and perhaps even trail braking which will keep your car and you in one piece.
Always buy the best tires you can afford (change to winter tires in a cold climate) and if your tires are old, replace them! Old tires with enough tread still killed Paul Walker.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:29 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,049 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by Cargt63

Second mistake never go off the throttle mid-corner. Your Porsche can probably do more than you expect/dare, and as long as you keep feeding power to the tires to pull you through, you have a better chance of saving your butt.
To some extent, the classic 911 rules still apply. Once you find your speed too high in a corner, your only choice is whether to hit the wall nose first or a** first.

Quick Reply: Lost it in a 991 4s