Notices

2004 Porsche Boxster -- Mysterious Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 10:16 PM
alfaeddie
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2004 Porsche Boxster -- Mysterious Problem

I've got a 2004 Boxster (base), totally stock and I have been having some strange problems. I've seen some posts on other forums describing what might be a very similar problem but the descriptions tend to lack detail so I can't be sure its the same. Nevertheless I want to post a detailed description to see if anyone has an idea.

Basically when I throw the steering wheel back and forth rapidly, or quickly turn left or right, I can feel through the gas pedal that something is rubbing on the car. The issue seems to be intermittent though as its not always there (unless I really push the car around), and the degree of "rubbing" varies day to day.

I've taken it to a very good independent mechanic in my area, but he couldn't figure it out either. Him and a second mechanic investigated for two hours and they found the following: steering rack seems to be fine, everything is tight under the car, power steering is fine (no pipes rubbing), strut bearing are good (I changed them myself) and the problem is certainly there.

Note: this steering does not have to be on full lock for this to happen... if I go 60 km/hour and slightly throw the steering wheel back and forth I can feel the "rubbing".

In any case, I am not sure what to make of this. The mechanic tells me the car is certainly safe to drive, and I believe him, but its really a nuisance and holds me back from wanting to actually push the car more...

Any ideas are much appreciated!

Quick Reply: 2004 Porsche Boxster -- Mysterious Problem