Notices

Can I use any OBDII code reader?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 11:43 PM
lingxiaozhu2
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Can I use any OBDII code reader?

hope this isn't a bumb question... looking to buy a code reader and I'm not sure if theres a certain type that I need to get.
I keep seeing OBDII scanners but I can't find anything that will tell me if my porsche needs/requires a certain type of scanner.
I know I can go to any auto parts store and they will read the codes for me.... which I did yesterday.
But i don't want to keep going back each time i fix/swap a part to see if that code is cleared.

can someone tell me if this Code Scanner work with my Porsche?

Link to product:
http://amzn.to/2BYkDUD

About this OBD II:
1.Foxwell NT201 obdii vehicle diagnostic code reader will work on standard OBD2/EOBD/JOBD & CAN domestic and import cars,
light-duty truck (12v only), SUVs, mini-vans. European from 2000 year, US from 1996 year, Asian from 2008 year.TIPS: The scanner can not work on hybrid cars and electric cars.

2.This automotive scanner with unique one-click I/M readiness status design, which fast to scan vehicle’s engine healthy status. Red-Yellow-Green LED indicators allow you easily determine whether your vehicle meets the State Emission Monitor Status and assits you to pass the Smog Check.

3.The car computer diagnostic tester will read/erase engine fault codes and show the DTC definition on the screen. Quickly and efficiently troubleshoot the cause of check engine light and reset monitors. View Freeze Frame data. Show live data in the text and graph format.

4.Built in speaker and 2.4'TFT colorful LCD display screen provide visual and audible indication for readiness verification. Unique dust-resistant surface allows this auto code reader scanner more durable and stronger.

thanks in advance.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:11 PM
Kirill
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

this is better
Amazon Amazon
Search to find out why.
Old 12-15-2017, 09:25 PM
lingxiaozhu2
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Kirill
this is better https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Search to find out why.
just confirm this code reader is work with my porsche. Thanks
Old 12-16-2017, 10:23 PM
Kirill
Racer

Originally Posted by lingxiaozhu2
just confirm this code reader is work with my porsche. Thanks
I'd say it doesn't work. It probably generic only and doesn't read any specific Porsche module information.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:52 PM
Bulldogmike
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

I quite literally went to autozone. paid $30 for their generic reader / eraser and works flawlessly on my GT3.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:10 PM
Kirill
Racer

Originally Posted by Bulldogmike
I quite literally went to autozone. paid $30 for their generic reader / eraser and works flawlessly on my GT3.
It will work for the government mandated codes that trigger CEL, but if you get Porsche specific reader - you can scan\adjust much - for example, you can read remaining life in TPMS batteries

here is more info https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...ble-again.html

Last edited by Kirill; 12-20-2017 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:46 PM
lingxiaozhu2
3rd Gear

this is also good Porsche specific reader .thanks kirill

Quick Reply: Can I use any OBDII code reader?