Notices

Do Porsche new car and CPO warranties cover battery replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 12:02 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts
Default Do Porsche new car and CPO warranties cover battery replacement?

My wife's 2015 Lexus AGM battery failed 3 days ago, after 3 years 2 months of service. Her Lexus has 32,000 miles on it, and never sits for more than 2 days without being driven. I tried to regenerate and recharge the dead battery with my CTEK 4.3, to no avail. The measured voltage indicated that one cell was dead. So I called Lexus Roadside Service this AM, and they replaced it within 90 minutes, no questions asked. The Lexus service tech who changed my battery said batteries only last 3 years here in Florida.

My CPO 2015 911 is 3 years 7 months old, with warranty through 3/18/2021. If it's AGM battery were to suddenly die, would Porsche replace it at no charge?? It has only 7900 miles on the odometer, but I use it only for local sunny day blasts, and always put the CTEK 4.3 on it anytime it will sit 3 days or more.

Any opinions or experience on this out there?
Old 11-15-2017, 12:36 AM
IXIXI
Instructor

Received 129 Likes on 55 Posts

Good question. Recently my Z06 battery died after almost two years and it was outright replaced. Recently I bought a CPO Turbo S and the battery or alternator is showing weakness in charging. I take it in next Tuesday, I'll let you know
Old 11-15-2017, 07:23 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by IXIXI
Good question. Recently my Z06 battery died after almost two years and it was outright replaced. Recently I bought a CPO Turbo S and the battery or alternator is showing weakness in charging. I take it in next Tuesday, I'll let you know
Thanks. I am curious, but not because I think there is anything wrong with my battery. Just curious about how dealers interpret the warranty.
And my bet is it's a bad battery on your TTS. You should have seen a Warning light and code if the alternator/charging system were having a problem.

Last edited by PCA1983; 11-17-2017 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:22 PM
TurboPan
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, they do. I found out when my CPO car was delivered with a bad battery. It died in my garage, so I put it on my CTEK for a week. Then I took it to the dealership for inspection and when they went to move my car in the service bay the battery had already died again. In addition to that, the wiper motor was nonfunctional, too. Both the battery and wiper motor were replaced under CPO warranty. I'm currently in the middle of a lawsuit with the dealer I bought the car from because not only were the battery and wiper motor bad, but they gave me the car with worn out brakes, warped rotors, and it was even low on oil. Talk about a terrible way to begin the ownership of your first Porsche! Hopefully your experience will be better. Best of luck!
Old 11-21-2017, 05:02 PM
gtSteve
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've search the forums as I know I've seen this question asked and answered before, but can not find the post. From recollection, Porsche requires 6000? miles per year. Batteries that fail with less than that mileage is at your expense. Using a trickle charger is not the same thing as using the car.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:17 PM
IXIXI
Instructor

Received 129 Likes on 55 Posts

Took mine in today so hopefully I’ll see what they say by tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Do Porsche new car and CPO warranties cover battery replacement?