Notices

2nd Porsche for garage decisions

Old 11-14-2017, 03:35 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts
Default 2nd Porsche for garage decisions

My first Porsche was a 951. Then I got a great deal on a beautiful guards red 996 c2. Once I figured out the washed title history of the 951, I didn't want to invest in the car what it needed to be restored. I traded it for an 87 944 with a clean title in fair shape.

I also have a zr-1 Corvette... a beast.

i have a 78 Corvette too but I'm going to sell it soon.

I want a 2nd Porsche or...

Option 1). Keep 944 and turn it into an LS powered 948 I could take to HPDEs with little worry.

Option 2). Sell 944 and get another 951 and use it for HPDEs knowing it won't be as fast but will be a lot of fun.

Option 3). Sell 944 and get 986 Boxster for top down fun and use 996 for HPDEs knowing that someday I will pay for it. My wife loves the 996 and when I told her what an eventual engine rebuild would cost, she told me it would hurt but I could swing it.

Option 4). Sell 944 and get a Miata. Build Miata. Convert Miata to a Bauer Catfish with turbo or V8 and go insanely fast at HPDEs with little worry about mechanicals as they'd be cheap.

No matter what the wife and I have decided the 996 stays and so does the ZR-1. Both make me smile like a school kid getting away with a misdeed everytime I drive either.

Or build a daily driver hemi el camino out of an SRT Dodge Charger, and HPDEs the 996......

And none of these are investment vehicles. They are for my enjoyment.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:32 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 567 Posts

Wow, lots of entertaining choices. Sounds like you need to prioritize track performance, wrenching and modifying, road driving, and marital happiness.

I suggest you keep the 996 and ZR-1 for street fun. For track days, going fast in a Porsche will always cost more than average. Cheaper options? Mustang (except for tires)? Hot rod Miata (as you listed)? True race car (but then you get into trailers and other expenses)?
Old 11-14-2017, 10:52 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

I can't answer your question for you, as I'm not in your shoes. I'm still trying to find a nice home here in the North Orlando burbs with a 3 car garage.

What I can say is if I were going to put a V8 in a 944, if take a hard look at the new flat plane crank V8 that Ford's offering in the new Shelby Mustang GT. It's a NA 5.2 L flat plane crank V8 with 526HP at 7500 rpm, 429 ft-lb torque at 4750 rpm, and 8250 rpm redline! I have never ever lusted for a Ford before (I'm a Porsche guy since 1970), but this new engine has me panting! This is the crate V8 engine I would want!

https://blog.caranddriver.com/holy-flat-plane-crankshaft-we-finally-get-an-in-depth-look-at-the-ford-mustang-shelby-gt350gt350rs-5-2-liter-v-8/
Old 11-15-2017, 12:53 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by bkrantz
Wow, lots of entertaining choices. Sounds like you need to prioritize track performance, wrenching and modifying, road driving, and marital happiness.

I suggest you keep the 996 and ZR-1 for street fun. For track days, going fast in a Porsche will always cost more than average. Cheaper options? Mustang (except for tires)? Hot rod Miata (as you listed)? True race car (but then you get into trailers and other expenses)?
You aren't kidding. The 996 and ZR-1 are both fun but can be costly. I was originally a Mustang guy. I've owned about a dozen. The new cars are stout and handle well but are heavy! You are right using a P car for track days may kill me money wise. A Miata powered Catfish is probably the smartest way to go in the long run. It's super cheap, great suspension, light and if I go insane I could always put a V8 in it. The wife though would really like cruising around in a boxster. I should get a tip 2.7 boxster and get a Miata to destroy for my entertainment. That's the most logical route. A 250 hp Catfish would be insane enough I think.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:40 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyGS
You aren't kidding. The 996 and ZR-1 are both fun but can be costly. I was originally a Mustang guy. I've owned about a dozen. The new cars are stout and handle well but are heavy! You are right using a P car for track days may kill me money wise. A Miata powered Catfish is probably the smartest way to go in the long run. It's super cheap, great suspension, light and if I go insane I could always put a V8 in it. The wife though would really like cruising around in a boxster. I should get a tip 2.7 boxster and get a Miata to destroy for my entertainment. That's the most logical route. A 250 hp Catfish would be insane enough I think.
Good luck, and post some pics of the monster Miata when it comes together.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2nd Porsche for garage decisions