Notices

Vintage Ruf modified P-Cars - Rennlist

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 02:05 PM
AMG5PT4
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vintage Ruf modified P-Cars - Rennlist

I don't see a separate forum for Ruf modified Porsches. I assume these cars would be discussed by the chassis model?

Reason for my post - I am a vintage AMG collector and enthusiast. 2017 was the 50th anniversary of AMG and I tried to get a Vintage AMG class at The Quail last month for the Monterey Car Week. Was unsuccessful but still shipped 2 vintage AMG's to Monterey to show/sell.

Not easily defeated, I have another view on getting more modern, special cars on big stages such as The Quail or Amelia Island - 70's/80's Tuner Cars. As most of you are aware, most concours end their class years at around 1973 - as if collector cars ceased to exist after the early 70's. As demographics (age groups) march on with the calendar, I strongly believe there is a desire to see special cars from the 70's/80's and maybe 90's.

My plan is to, in the 3-5 year timeframe, propose a Tuner class to The Quail and/or Amelia Island committees. To that end, I am reaching out to notable tuner car owners for Porsche (Ruf primarily), BMW (Alpina primarily) and Mercedes (AMG primarily). I am sure there are other premium tuners/marques that will further expand the list and may well include US car tuners (Callaway/Roush come to mind).

Why 3-5 years? A professional plan needs to be prepared, including target cars to show lined up, commitments from owners and presenting to concours committees 1-2 years in advance. Clearly for shows of this stature, authentic/documented cars that represent the best of the best (level of modifications, show quality condition, "it" factor) will be presented.

My cars to show include 2 vintage AMG's - a highly modified #2 condition 1984 500SEL AMG and a 1985 500SEC AMG Widebody with the 32-valve DOHC Hammer engine that is a nut and bolt restoration in process. I have commitments from an owner with 3 of the original AMG Hammers (Coupe, Sedan and 1 of 1 Wagon).

If RL members know of owners of authentic show quality Ruf cars, have them get in touch with me..

Best,

Al
Atlanta
404-545-8675 cell
allan@lydon.org email

Last edited by AMG5PT4; 09-21-2017 at 02:07 PM.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:42 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 187 Posts

Great idea. There are quite a few Ruf VIN owners on rennlist and even a thread below that keeps an inventory of the ones represented here. Looks like most are newer than the era you're looking at though. Either way, good luck!!

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...?highlight=ruf
Old 09-11-2017, 11:23 AM
ctr2
Instructor

Would be great to see, good luck with your efforts
Old 09-11-2017, 02:09 PM
XS29L9B
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 68 Posts

That's a cool idea, and remembering the old articles from R&T, Car and Driver, etc., the people who "few up" with those cars can now afford most of them.

Congrats on AMG and their 50th. Where does the time go? I had no idea they had been around that long. Callaway, FWIW, celebrated 40 Years last year. Because of their O.E. relationships, they are less tuner, more manufacturer.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:46 PM
importautosales
Track Day

Hey AL,

Replying to the message you sent me on eBay about my 930 RUF BTR, the car actually attended monterey this year but was not entered in any events just driven.

I will be taking the last street dp935 III ever built by dp motorsports next year, even if there is a smaller scale type of gathering for tuners, this car will not be forsale, as I've owned a dp935 built for car and driver for the last 7 years with a RUF BTR engine for a 80's street car shootout. If it is of interest, its a 91 Turbo that was completely built by dp Motorsports and is currently there having a minor cosmetic restoration. Being that they are the original Porsche tuners they have more of legacy then RUF IMO... regardless love both.

Let me know,
Danny
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Vintage Ruf modified P-Cars - Rennlist