Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 02:48 PM
Curated Content Editor
Rennlist Editor

Received 185 Likes on 139 Posts
Default Swapping a 20V Turbocharged 1.8T VW/Audi Engine Into a 944

Swapping a 20V Turbocharged 1.8T VW/Audi Engine Into a 944
By Joseph Coelho

The 944 has a magnificently balanced chassis that has earned praise from drivers around the world. In fact, many enthusiasts believe it to have been the best handling car ever. Unfortunately, the 944 had shortcomings in the power department that ultimately left many owners wanting. The 20-valve turbocharged 1.8T VW/Audi 4-cylinder engine may be just the right combination of power, weight, and cost to make it the ideal powerplant to swap into a needy 944.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:45 AM
canaus
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how hard can it be?

do you need a new wiring harness to the old 944 dashboard or do you need a new audi/vw instrument cluster?
Audi engine management, wiring.
New audi engine bolts to the existing Porsche clutch?
can you use most of the stock Porsche plumbing, radiator, audi intercooler
where do you access info
Anybody done this for a RIGHT hand drive 944?

Last edited by canaus; 08-31-2017 at 05:47 AM. Reason: trouble with left & right
Old 09-04-2017, 11:01 PM
pyropete125
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

24 hours of lemons in nh circa 2014?
Old 09-11-2017, 05:00 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Location: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon
Received 560 Likes on 338 Posts

Originally Posted by canaus
do you need a new wiring harness to the old 944 dashboard or do you need a new audi/vw instrument cluster?
Audi engine management, wiring.
New audi engine bolts to the existing Porsche clutch?
can you use most of the stock Porsche plumbing, radiator, audi intercooler
where do you access info
Anybody done this for a RIGHT hand drive 944?
It's plenty difficult, but not impossible.... It's been done before, but there are only a few examples (including RHD) other than the turn-key MWR race cars that I found posted on the web.
Def not a bolt in! Working on mine now... finished the adapter plate/clutch/flywheel/starter business, starting on the motor mounts tomorrow.
I'll post some pix soon. Had the adapter plate CNC'd... came out sweet! Uses stock GTI flywheel, clutch and starter, with a lightly modified 944 bell housing.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:09 PM
3doghouse
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nowanker
It's plenty difficult, but not impossible.... It's been done before, but there are only a few examples (including RHD) other than the turn-key MWR race cars that I found posted on the web.
Def not a bolt in! Working on mine now... finished the adapter plate/clutch/flywheel/starter business, starting on the motor mounts tomorrow.
I'll post some pix soon. Had the adapter plate CNC'd... came out sweet! Uses stock GTI flywheel, clutch and starter, with a lightly modified 944 bell housing.
Please keep us updated... With pics!
Old 12-01-2017, 01:32 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Still working on it! Finalized the motor mounts, and had a bare block fully bolted up.
Pulled that block out, readying it for the machine shop. Have a second longblock/adapter/flywheel/clutch/bellhousing bolted together, ready for test fitting intake and exh manifolds right now.
Damn, these engines are cheap! Bought 2 running but lightly crashed Passats through Copart. My winning bids were $175ea, but by the time it was 'out the door' they were about $315. Still pretty cheap...
Waylaid for the past 2 weeks by some 'emergency' family auto repairs, but hope to have the long block bolted in this weekend.
Took tons of pix, but haven't figured out how to get them out of my computer to post! I'll need to make that a bigger priority.
Cheers!
Old 12-09-2017, 09:32 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Got the long block/flywheel/clutch/etc installed in the car.
Looks like the Grams Performance intake manifold will fit, but the exhaust manifold/turbo will be tight.

Quick Reply: Swapping a 20V Turbocharged 1.8T VW/Audi Engine Into a 944