Sponsored by: GT3 Belts

Porsche seat into an office chair

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 07:30 PM
yiweno
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by parzivail
My apologies for the dead link, I switched website services shortly after finishing this project. Here is an updated link, and what should be a permanent archive in case it ever goes missing: https://parzivail.com/porsche-seat-to-office-chair/, and https://web.archive.org/web/20190322...-office-chair/
How do you adjust the lumbar and seat positions?
Old 08-12-2020, 07:43 PM
parzivail
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by igres
you are using cheap low quality parts. They are not designed for such a load. You do not have any calculations during the assembly. I would not recommend using it.
You're right, I didn't include anything in the writeup. I apologize. I myself am not a mechanical engineer but I ran the design by a couple of my coworkers who are and their back-of-the-envelope math said the steel flatbar accompanied by the size, quantity, and location of the fasteners should be more than enough to securely affix the chair to the base. The only "wild" component is the base from the donor chair, which, in my case, came from a comparably heavy chair so I'm not worried about mine. Having build three of these for myself and family I personally feel safe with these instructions.

Originally Posted by yiweno
How do you adjust the lumbar and seat positions?
This would definitely be easier if you could do it before it came out of the car, but as long as the wire harnesses are still attached to the seat, you can move the motors manually with around 12v to the corresponding motor pins in the connectors. It's a bit tricky but I've had to do it for two of mine. I was lucky enough to have a variable power supply around to create 12v, but I'm not sure what I'd use to safely create the power otherwise. Maybe a small gate-opener style battery, like
this one this one
?

In terms of finding those specific pins, I bet there's a service manual out there that has the wiring diagram for the seat on it, but I just followed the cables and made some educated guesses as to which wires were which and with a little trial and error it ended up working out. There aren't too many wires in a standard seat, most of them should be a motor somwehere in the seat.
Old 06-21-2021, 02:07 PM
Davebrossi
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 106 Posts

...don't suppose there's any love for Cayenne seats? I'm about to replace them in my 08 CTT, I plan on rebuilding the cushions in the driver's seat, would like to finally have a desk chair that doesn't cause sciatica issues.
Old 06-21-2021, 02:24 PM
parzivail
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Davebrossi
...don't suppose there's any love for Cayenne seats? I'm about to replace them in my 08 CTT, I plan on rebuilding the cushions in the driver's seat, would like to finally have a desk chair that doesn't cause sciatica issues.
As long as the mounting hardware on the bottom of the seat has a similar layout, it should be pretty straightforward to tweak the guide to match. Should just end up being a different size steel flatbar running the length of the seat. I haven't done it for a Cayenne seat yet but my first concern would be weight (and airbags, same concern as noted in the guide), the ones I've been around are quite a bit bulkier than 911 seats, so you might need to find a base that supported a heavier office chair.

I'd love to see some pictures of the underside of the Cayenne seats, and the resulting chair if you go ahead with the office chair project. If you come across any gotchas or have to make any on-the-fly modifications to the guide, please let us know and I can adjust the guide.

Last edited by parzivail; 06-21-2021 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-21-2021, 02:46 PM
igres
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by parzivail
As long as the mounting hardware on the bottom of the seat has a similar layout, it should be pretty straightforward to tweak the guide to match. Should just end up being a different size steel flatbar running the length of the seat. I haven't done it for a Cayenne seat yet but my first concern would be weight (and airbags, same concern as noted in the guide), the ones I've been around are quite a bit bulkier than 911 seats, so you might need to find a base that supported a heavier office chair.

I'd love to see some pictures of the underside of the Cayenne seats, and the resulting chair if you go ahead with the office chair project. If you come across any gotchas or have to make any on-the-fly modifications to the guide, please let us know and I can adjust the guide.

как сделать обменник
Old 06-21-2021, 03:00 PM
Davebrossi
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 106 Posts

I've ordered the flat steel, there are airbag modules to be carefully removed (I learned how to work with goat rings and pulling the hides off to get to them, disposing of these safely is a bigger worry than removing them) it -is- a much heavier chair. Functions are the same, and the cushions are similar thickness wise, it's the base to me that seems like the biggest mass. Probably just the plastic shrouding that gives that impression. Anyhow, while the Porsche Recaro seat design that was used for decades is about the only seats to never cause a flare up, I'm interested to see how this turns out... especially if I can go back and add power later.
Old 06-21-2021, 03:04 PM
igres
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Davebrossi
I've ordered the flat steel, there are airbag modules to be carefully removed (I learned how to work with goat rings and pulling the hides off to get to them, disposing of these safely is a bigger worry than removing them) it -is- a much heavier chair. Functions are the same, and the cushions are similar thickness wise, it's the base to me that seems like the biggest mass. Probably just the plastic shrouding that gives that impression. Anyhow, while the Porsche Recaro seat design that was used for decades is about the only seats to never cause a flare up, I'm interested to see how this turns out... especially if I can go back and add power later.
we have already produced many different Cayenne office chairs. Need a consultation, write.
Old 07-31-2021, 02:56 AM
igres
Intermediate

New office chair Porsche Cayenne 9Y

Quick Reply: Porsche seat into an office chair