For Sale Ads - (Member to Member FS/WTB/Free)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Silver Rocket
Mark this thread as Unsold

For Sale: Racing ABS System

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 07:42 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racing ABS System

This is a BMW Motorsports ABS Control Unit which was removed from one of TRG's wrecked 997 race cars.

This system is optimized to work with various tire sizes and is a real racing upgrade for your factory ABS system -- or an add-on ABS system if your car doesn't have ABS.

I ran into issues with the factory Porsche ABS system on my 996 and after substantial research found that most of the pro teams were removing the factory system and this unit is one of the solutions to these problems -- including the dreaded "ice mode" which I've experienced and also issues where super sticky tires cause g-forces beyond the factory ABS map. Much like modifying an engine and needing to change the air/fuel mapping -- when you substantially change grip with slicks, bigger brakes, etc...the factory systems which were designed for grandpa to go to dinner (no offense grandpas) just doesn't hold up in a racing environment.

I never installed this unit and now I'm looking to sell my 996 race car so I no longer need this.

In addition to this pump you will need to source BMW e46 M3 wheel speed sensors which bolt right up to the 996/997/Boxster/Cayman.

Turner makes a wiring harness to adapt this to any car but the harness is not required and it's super expensive for what it is (its nice though). More info on this ABS setup is on their page here:

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-37...g-harness.aspx

$3500 -- includes pump, wiring plug with pigtails, stainless hoses, pressure sensors, and a few adapters that were used to mount this into a 997.

Last edited by Darren; 11-17-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:24 PM
Darren
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From Turner:

Our custom ABS harness allows the Ate Mk 6.0 ABS system from a 2003-2006 BMW E46 M3 Competition Package (ZCP) to run as a “stand alone system” and potentially be installed in ANY CAR, not just a BMW. Most of our customers will use this system to replace a 3-channel ABS system which is inadequate on the racetrack. Our harness will allow the E46 M3’s ABS to work without needing any of the factory wiring harness or dash cluster - it's stand-alone! The E46 M3’s ABS system is a four-channel high performance system which applies ABS to each wheel rather than a three-channel system like on a BMW E36 that only sends one signal to the rear (and two to the front). The Ate Mk 6 system is currently one of the best ABS systems on the planet. We have used this setup on all of our Grand-Am BMWs with tremendous success. This is also the “hot setup” for Porsche 997 track cars because the standard chassis electronics (PASM) has shortcomings on the racetrack.

Our harness also incorporates an output plug which allows the user to connect to the ABS control unit with a laptop. This allows electronic brake bleeding and diagnostics. A toggle switch allows you to turn the system on or off (cycling the switch resets the system) and a LED warns of a system failure. The signal to the warning LED can also be incorporated into a racing dash display. Software for diagnostics and the cable are included. The ABS software is not programmable but has proven to work very well on a variety of cars.

A Motorsport ABS control unit is also available which optimizes the ABS for racing tires whereas the standard unit is mapped for street tires. For most drivers the standard control unit is sufficient as it's a huge improvement over the system it's replacing. The traction and stability settings of the Motorsport programming are much higher compared to the stock unit which allows the driver to make full use of the race tires with maximum braking generated in any condition. It will also generate additional data that the standard unit does not provide. This Motorsport control unit can be added to any 2003-2006 E46 M3 for an instant ABS upgrade. We have a few “used” units on the shelf (spares from our Grand Am cars) that we can offer at a substantial savings over a new part. The Motorsport control unit will also automatically adjust for different wheel sizes and any ABS ring gear/tooth count so it is required for all non-BMW applications.

The harness requires several factory BMW components: ABS ECU/Pump, yaw rate sensor, ABS pressure sensors (x 2), and wheel speed sensors (x 4). We have packaged new parts together to make it easy or you can source your own from a 2003-2006 E46 M3 or M3 ZCP.

Quick Reply: For Sale: Racing ABS System