For Sale Ads - (Member to Member FS/WTB/Free)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Silver Rocket
Mark this thread as Sold

Free: Free '79 928 in West Pittston, PA. Needs immediate pick up!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 04:37 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 847 Likes on 466 Posts
Default Free '79 928 in West Pittston, PA. Needs immediate pick up!

Hi there.

I'm a victim of the recent flooding of the Susquehanna River. and my not-quite-running '79 was left behind when we were ordered to evacuate our home. I did manage to move the 951 to a nearby supermarket parking lot and the Cayenne provided yeoman service when I finally left the house with the water getting close to my knees in the street out front.

The 928 - which was appropriately named 'Moby' - is a total loss. The water went to within 6 inches of the top of the interior roof. I'm not going to get any insurance money for it, since it wasn't insured through my automotive insurer (I wasn't driving it, why should I insure it? Duh.). At this point, it's just taking up space in my garage that I need for my other cars, so it's free.

It's a '79 with something over 250k on the clock (the odo has never worked for me). I'm the fifth owner and there is no title. I was told a previous owner bought it intending to turn it into a track car, so he didn't worry about titling it. It was last registered in Maine, where I am the registered owner. I have a piece of paper from the state of Maine to that effect.

Because of the submersion, it's probably not good for much more than a track car. Even before, the problem list was pretty long: the exhaust is shot, the interior is poor (and largely out), and it would fire, but wouldn't run when I last tried it a few weeks ago. There is a small rust-through in the very rear of the cargo area. There were plenty of electrical gremlins.

There are two sets of wheels: silver slots and white phone dials. Both sets of tires are good. When it was running, it ran fine; the motor idled a little high and the transmission was like stirring a bowl of Jello, but the clutch was good. My son - who drove it exclusively for a few months in '07-'08 - reported that his mileage was excellent.

The exterior is a horrid respray in pearlescent white, but it was originally a white car. Interior is black vinyl. The body is sound and straight with a reasonable number and size of dings for the car's age and mileage.

If that sounds like something in which you're interested, ping me with a phone number and let me know when you can pick it up. The sooner the better, this weekend is preferred.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:11 PM
x2nervisx
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

any pictures of it?
Old 09-16-2011, 07:58 PM
sweet928
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How's the center console trim piece around the radio to the shifter? It's the part with the three holes. One for clock, one for fasten seat belts and one for hazards. Mine is warped. If yours is not, I would be VERY interested.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:55 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 847 Likes on 466 Posts

The car has gone to its new home in New York state.

Quick Reply: Free: Free '79 928 in West Pittston, PA. Needs immediate pick up!