For Sale Ads - (Member to Member FS/WTB/Free)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Silver Rocket
Mark this thread as Unsold

For Sale: FS: 1986 928 5-speed

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 01:45 AM
Mark Stahl
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FS: 1986 928 5-speed

I've unfortunately come to a point where I need reliable transportation more than I need my 928. The car really should go to someone who understands these cars and their quirks... it's hard to imagine explaining the odo gear thing to an outsider).

You should be looking for a bit of a project-- at the moment the car is not starting (see this thread for why: https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...t-puzzler.html) -- the good
news is that it was running just last week.

The basics:
1986 Porsche 928S
Moss green metallic, brown leather interior
5-speed
No sunroof
Approximately 160,000 miles. Odometer gear gave out several months ago... (I know, I know. I replaced it once, it broke again, I haven't fixed it.)

The good:
Top end motor refresh 2/2008, along with a t-belt, waterpump change, at a respected Long Island, NY shop (SM Motorsports).

New motor mounts, seals, clutch, and associated materials at the time of the motor work in 2008. Only about 1100 miles ago.

Recent alternator, starter (2006).

Recent front shocks. Includes new (uninstalled) rear shocks, too.

Brand new fuel pump/filter

Paul Champagne leather dash pod, A-pillars, glovebox door, rear armrest w/ P-logo.

Louis Ott X-pipe (from when we could call them that) with high-flow cats.

Includes a new (uninstalled) brown leather dash (~$600 value)!

Includes a never-installed short shift kit

Always synthetic fluids, regular changes, etc.

The bad:
The top end refresh followed a broken T-belt in 07. Has a small oil leak into the V ever since (I think the oil filler gasket, just never checked).

(https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...ming-belt.html)

**Car isn't starting right now**. Seems like an electrical issue... possibly in the fuel injector harness. I've purchased one for replacement but haven't installed it. The car will be sold AS IS but for a Rennlist member I'm happy to help get it running as much as I can.

Moderate paint damage to the front bumper, scratch in hood (some SUV's back bumper rode over the bumper cover and a few inches of the hood. Yuk). Entire car was resprayed a few years back (in orig color) to match a replaced bumper cover for a similar reason. Paint is only fair condition overall.

A/C doesn't work. There's a leak somewhere but the compressor worked last time I tried to fix the system (~6mos ago).

Dash is horrible, dash cover is now damaged too. (But you get a new dash with it!)

Odometer gear issue

Alternator charging/resistor issue (need to rev RPM>2000 when first started to get charging.)

Total homebrew stereo with some alternator whine (works but you should probably just do it again. Blame my PO!)

Center console was cut up to accept a touch screen for a carputer. You can keep the screen but I kind of want the computer. Looks acceptable but needs refinement.
(https://rennlist.com/forums/3545897-post253.html)

The exhaust from the cats-back including the 2 mufflers was damaged in shipping from NY to CA, and probably needs replacement.

Severe wear on drivers seat bolster, no tears. Small tear in pass seat leather.

The brake pad light came on the other day (like I needed that)

---

My plan is to keep working on the car as I can to get it running again. I am convinced it's an

electrical gremlin, and may try to replace the FI harness in the next week or two.

I was thinking something like:

You take it away and worry about it yourself: $2500 OBO

If I get it running, I'll be asking more.

Car is located in Los Angeles, CA (Westwood)

Pics are coming hopefully tomorrow or Sunday.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:45 AM
Mrmerlin
Team Owner

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,470 Posts

PM sent
Old 05-01-2010, 03:11 AM
Mark Stahl
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, that was fast. Car is sold pending photos.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:30 PM
Mrmerlin
Team Owner

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,470 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Stahl
I've unfortunately come to a point where I need reliable transportation more than I need my 928. The car really should go to someone who understands these cars and their quirks... it's hard to imagine explaining the odo gear thing to an outsider).

You should be looking for a bit of a project-- at the moment the car is not starting (see this thread for why: https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...t-puzzler.html) -- the good
news is that it was running just last week.

The basics:
1986 Porsche 928S
Moss green metallic, brown leather interior
5-speed
No sunroof
Approximately 160,000 miles. Odometer gear gave out several months ago... (I know, I know. I replaced it once, it broke again, I haven't fixed it.)

The good:
Top end motor refresh 2/2008, along with a t-belt, waterpump change, at a respected Long Island, NY shop (SM Motorsports).

New motor mounts, seals, clutch, and associated materials at the time of the motor work in 2008. Only about 1100 miles ago.

Recent alternator, starter (2006).

Recent front shocks. Includes new (uninstalled) rear shocks, too.

Brand new fuel pump/filter

Paul Champagne leather dash pod, A-pillars, glovebox door, rear armrest w/ P-logo.

Louis Ott X-pipe (from when we could call them that) with high-flow cats.

Includes a new (uninstalled) brown leather dash (~$600 value)!

Includes a never-installed short shift kit

Always synthetic fluids, regular changes, etc.

The bad:
The top end refresh followed a broken T-belt in 07. Has a small oil leak into the V ever since (I think the oil filler gasket, just never checked).

(https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...ming-belt.html)

**Car isn't starting right now**. Seems like an electrical issue... possibly in the fuel injector harness. I've purchased one for replacement but haven't installed it. The car will be sold AS IS but for a Rennlist member I'm happy to help get it running as much as I can.

Moderate paint damage to the front bumper, scratch in hood (some SUV's back bumper rode over the bumper cover and a few inches of the hood. Yuk). Entire car was resprayed a few years back (in orig color) to match a replaced bumper cover for a similar reason. Paint is only fair condition overall.

A/C doesn't work. There's a leak somewhere but the compressor worked last time I tried to fix the system (~6mos ago).

Dash is horrible, dash cover is now damaged too. (But you get a new dash with it!)

Odometer gear issue

Alternator charging/resistor issue (need to rev RPM>2000 when first started to get charging.)

Total homebrew stereo with some alternator whine (works but you should probably just do it again. Blame my PO!)

Center console was cut up to accept a touch screen for a carputer. You can keep the screen but I kind of want the computer. Looks acceptable but needs refinement.
(https://rennlist.com/forums/3545897-post253.html)

The exhaust from the cats-back including the 2 mufflers was damaged in shipping from NY to CA, and probably needs replacement.

Severe wear on drivers seat bolster, no tears. Small tear in pass seat leather.

The brake pad light came on the other day (like I needed that)

---

My plan is to keep working on the car as I can to get it running again. I am convinced it's an

electrical gremlin, and may try to replace the FI harness in the next week or two.

I was thinking something like:

You take it away and worry about it yourself: $2500 OBO

If I get it running, I'll be asking more.

Car is located in Los Angeles, CA (Westwood)

Pics are coming hopefully tomorrow or Sunday.
just for posterity
Old 05-17-2010, 08:39 PM
Shark Attack
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

wow that was a good deal

Quick Reply: For Sale: FS: 1986 928 5-speed