For Sale Ads - (Member to Member FS/WTB/Free)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Silver Rocket
Mark this thread as Unsold

For Sale: FS: 89 S4 5 speed with LSD

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007 | 08:55 AM
Stan.Shaw@Excell.Net
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default FS: 89 S4 5 speed with LSD

FS: 89 928 S4 5 speed with LSD
Grey exterior - good condition - clear coat issue on roof
White interior - good condition - driver seat bolster issue
Mileage is @100k+ (digital dash was changed resulting in a different odometer)

I am interested in a buyer that wants this in "light project" status.

I purchased this 928 two years ago and drove it home. It was tripping a light in the ignition monitoring circuit. After some investigation, I found the problem was likely to be either electrical or perhaps cam timing.

So, I pulled the timing belt covers off and found the cam timing to be within the same range as most others find their 928s about 1/2 tooth off on one side. I also found the timing sprockets had enough wear that they should be replaced.

Since I intended to check cam timing while I was at it, I removed the cam covers. While I was at it, I removed the intake and decided to get them powder coated. I made a deal on a black with red lettering set for $300

Once I had the intake off, I read of the refresh process that could be performed while it was off. So I started acquiring all the parts related to that refresh. Including the new set of Magnecor spark plug wires, rebuilt fuel injectors (one was bad and replaced as well), water pump, vacuum line kit, fuel hose kit and tune-up parts, I have perhaps $2k in new parts in boxes.

While everything was apart I pulled the computer and sent it to be reviewed. The report back was that the corrosion on the connectors was very likely the cause of the ignition monitoring circuit light. The computer was cleaned and verified to be in good working order.

The driver's seat has the commonly seen bolster wear issue. Since white isn't the best color for me, I purchased a replacement interior in grey in excellent condition. I purchased it for @$1k.

The car came with stock S4 wheels and tires with good tread. I currently have TT wheels on it with very good tires, and I value that setup at $750.

Then I found a 90 GT... As I am likely one of the more fanatical 928 owners, I have always wanted a GT, so it makes more sense for me to have a GT, so I put a deposit on it and am selling the 89.

If someone is interested in the 89 S4 "as is" whether with or without the new parts, replacement interior or powder coated parts, etc. etc. Please make an offer. Since essentially all the new parts can be used on the 90 GT, I would be happy to sell with the original used parts.

My expectation is that this is a great opportunity for someone to get into such a car inexpensively and refresh it to their own satisfaction.

The price for the car "as is" without any of the new parts or replacement interior or powder coated intake and cam covers or TT wheels is $7500. I will include delivery (since it is inoperative right now) up to 200 miles from Wilbraham MA.

While I will entertain offers that include assembly, be aware that my projects are already too many. I won't reassemble with the original parts, as that doesn't make sense to me, but someone may not like the color intake or wires, etc. So I could keep those parts.
Attached Images  
Old 09-03-2007 | 02:49 PM
Stan.Shaw@Excell.Net
Addict
Rennlist Member

Photos
Old 09-07-2007 | 11:31 AM
Stan.Shaw@Excell.Net
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sold

Last edited by Stan.Shaw@Excell.Net; 09-09-2007 at 07:43 AM.

Quick Reply: For Sale: FS: 89 S4 5 speed with LSD