For Sale Ads - (Member to Member FS/WTB/Free)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Silver Rocket
Mark this thread as Unsold

Free: restoring and sealing deck, any ideas??

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 12:30 AM
Boxsterdoc47
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question restoring and sealing deck, any ideas??

Any good ideas on redoing a wood deck? I was told Sealmaxx was a good company and product ??any experience with them??? Thank you for your comments.....will work on this at the same time as washing the porsche..
Old 05-23-2007, 01:01 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 129 Posts

Thompsons Water sealer. I switched to Trex a number of years ago so I wouldn't have to be doing that anymore....
Old 07-10-2007, 07:46 PM
rbcsaver
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, it is always helpful us to know your location. In this case, the relevance to your question is, are you in a freeze zone? I would first clean your deck with a good pressure washer (3000-4000 PSI). I did try the stiff brushWhether Rented or purchased, use a wood cleaner, the appropriate "angle" head, and don't get too close to the wood. You want to clean it, but not etch, cut it. Learned this only from trial and error. Once dry, reset the nails, then an appropriate sanding of any raised grains, one dry. When we had a deck and in ground pool (I truly don't miss either since we moved 3 yrs ago, in Central PA), winter heaving and would bend the wood and raise the nails. Hopefully, yours were screwed down, but even then, I would re-tighten all of them also. I tried Thompson's, twice, but could only get 1-2 years out of the treatment, even with 2-3 coats. Whatever product you decide upon, careful NOT to get it on your vinyl siding, as it doesn't want to come off. I found that the Olympia 3 yr product gave me much, much, better long term results. The usual disclaimers of absolutely no interests other than that of the Rennlist Community.
regards,
Steve

Quick Reply: Free: restoring and sealing deck, any ideas??