For Sale Ads - (Member to Member FS/WTB/Free)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Silver Rocket
Mark this thread as Unsold

WTB: Zermatt Silver 944

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007 | 04:53 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Default Zermatt Silver 944

I want to buy a Zermatt Silver 944 or 944S. My only requirements are the color (Zermatt Silver) and the condition of paint and body (at least 85%). I don't care about the interior, the mechanicals, the electronics, or any other details. But of course, if all those other things are good too, I'd be even more interested.

I'm not looking for an S2 or a 951, or a 968. It has to be a 944 with the OB.

Please, if you have a car you want to sell, just show me some pics, and tell me your asking price. Toss in as many details as you can as well.

Thanks!

P.S. If you know where I can get a few buckets of Zermatt Silver paint for a sane price, that might solve my problem altogether.

Last edited by FRporscheman; 03-18-2007 at 06:36 AM.
Old 03-12-2007 | 06:21 PM
tod84944
Drifting

go to O'rileys. They can mix it for you. Did it last summer. Tell them you want the Nason brand. You will be using a clear coat over it due to being a metallic
Old 03-12-2007 | 09:51 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Can I ask why you want this exact color? I bet you have a good story behind it.
Old 03-12-2007 | 10:10 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

In 198X my uncle bought a blue metallic 928 OB. He totally lost control in the rain going downhill in San Francisco, then ended up hitting a street lamp post, sliding up it, and falling back down upside-down onto a Cadillac. Totalled.

In 1989 my unlce bought a 1984 Zermatt Silver 944 from the first owner. He let the timing belt break, and then the engine was replaced from a Guards Red donor car. Shortly afterwards, he decided the damn thing was too slow for him. My dad had just acquired his black 928S, and my uncle was jealous, so he convinced my dad to trade with him. My dad knew he was getting the "short straw" with the 944 because he, too, disliked them for their doggishness. He then handed it down to my mom.

My uncle resumed his doofusry and crashed the black 928. This time it was only partially his fault. Once again the car was bad enough to be "totalled", but physically salvageable, so my dad yoinked it back and spent 10 years restoring it (slow worker). My uncle now drives a miserly 525i.

Ever since the early 90s my mom has been loving that Zermatt Silver 944. Ever since the early 2000s, when I picked up my first wrench, I've been helping to keep it healthy. She has fun with that car, and loved everything about it: The firm perfect seats; the good handling; the decent fuel economy; the humble sense of class.

And the color.

I borrowed it one day, and I wanted to show off to my 911-loving friend what a "real" porsche really could do. Well what I ended up showing him was what a "real idiot" could do, and I crashed into a parked car. We got the damage repaired professionally, but being a newb, and cheap, I thought painting the whole car at Earl Scheib for $600 was more logical than painting one fender for $400.

I have regretted that decision ever since. Because of me, that beautiful Zermatt Silver was destroyed, defaced with a coating of Scheib's booger gold. I've felt guilty and sorry for my mom for ruining her ride. Especially because she used to be popular at work for having a Porsche (everyone else has lexuses and SUVs). Now it's just a toilet with Fuchs.

SOOOO I thought I could either strip down the whole car and go to great pains finding Zermatt Silver and cough up the bucks to get it painted right... or just do the 'logical' thing, and find a car that already is Zermatt Silver. That way I could upgrade her to the late interior at the same time.

Thanks for reading my long story. Don't flame me, I learned my lesson.
Old 03-12-2007 | 10:17 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Sorry I don't have better pics.

BEFORE

AFTER
Old 03-15-2007 | 10:03 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Arash,
I would probably get it repainted. I would think you could do it for a couple of G's. It is all about finding a good shop in your area. If you buy a new car you don't know what your getting as far as history. At least with your Mom's car, you know the history. Good luck and thanks for sharing! - Jay

PS - Don't feel bad, I rolled my Dad's perfect 944 down the driveway and into a new Volvo when I was 12!!!!!!

Quick Reply: WTB: Zermatt Silver 944