For Sale Ads - (Member to Member FS/WTB/Free)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Silver Rocket
Mark this thread as Unsold

For Sale: FS 996 C2 "Streetable-Track Car"

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 03:35 AM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default FS 996 C2 "Streetable-Track Car"

For Sale 1999 Porsche 996 C2 Factory Aero

-Current Mileage-70,114
-Clean Car-Fax (available by request)
-3.4 Liter engine (281 RWHP)
-6 Speed Manual Transaxle
-If this Porsche sells for the posted asking price I will include free shipping to the lower 48 (open carrier) in the sales price.

General Summary:
Up for sale is my 1999, Porsche 996 Carrera 2. This car is a “street-able track car”, not a “track-able street car” as most cars similar to this one may be. To be a track car this car is still very clean, the interior is immaculate with all leather being conditioned regularly and the body is near perfect with no dents or dings of any significance. All owners of the car have kept it well maintained and clean; I took it one step further and enhanced the vehicle’s reliability. The A/C in this car is the coldest I have ever seen, even in 100F temperatures! The C2 Aero is beautiful in black and this car has all the things everyone wants.

Here are the details:
Recent Actions:
-Just completed extensive 70K mile Service by Flat 6 Innovations(no further action required till 100K)
-Installed Sumitomo HTR Z III Tires (1200 miles)
-Fresh re-spray of front hood and bumper (rock chips from track usage repaired only)
-Transaxle service
-IMS Retrofit and RMS update (12K miles)
-Clutch 12K miles
-Brake caliper rebuild, new rotors and Porsche sport pads (12K miles)
-Full detail

List of Upgrades:

-Factory Aero kit (5,500.00)
-Tinted windows (max legal limit) (350.00)
-Sport Design Wheels (2,000.00+)
-Sumitomo HTR Z III Tires (1200 miles and 1 LSR event since installed, no DE time) (950.00)
-B&M short shifter (299.00)
-3 Spoke Steering Wheel (325.00)
-SRP pedal pad set (high grip) (190.00)
-Hardwired for Valentine 1 detector (V1 not incl) (100.00)
-Tequipment stainless steel rollbar (strengthened for LSR Rules) (1700.00)
-Tequipment engine protection plate (325.00)
-Euro GT3 seats x2 (15 months old) (3,000.00)
-Tequipment sub-belt bar on driver's seat (79.00)
-B-K sub-belt bar on passenger seat (71.95)
-B-K harness clip-on kit
-Sparco harnesses (6-pt driver & 5-pt passenger) (750.00)
-Amerex 2.5 lb Halotron fire extinguisher (195.00)
-B-K extinguisher mount (97.00)
-Safecraft fire extinguisher holder (135.00)
-GT3 front adjustable lower control arms (1025.00)
-GT3 adjustable sway bars (front & rear) W/GT2 front drop links (to work with GT3 sways) (625.00-Fr) (525.00 Rr)
-JIC Cross Competition coil overs W/10-14KG springs) - one year old, one DE event, two Land Speed events (3,344.00)
-Porsche Sport Brake pads front and rear-(One DE event, 8K miles and one LSR event) (150.00)
-Cryogenically enhanced Zimmerman rotors both front and rear (600.00) +220.00 for cryo)

Engine Details:
The heart of any Porsche is the engine, the issues related to the M96 engine are well documented, but the buyer of this car won’t have to worry with the dreaded IMS bearing failure as the engine in this Porsche has been retrofitted with the LN Engineering IMS Retrofit bearing. I also updated the Rear Main Seal and many other aspects of the engine for better peace of mind when driving and tracking the car.

I have kept a running tally of all the items that have been altered on the engine. The car has hundreds on dyno runs under its belt and I have all the comparatives of these on file. I have literally collected a library of files through the vehicles miles and updates and have verified the engine's power before and after each event it attended. The first time this car hit my dyno, before the engine was ever touched it made 241RWHP, after a service it was averaging low 240s. I applied many developments to it and altered it to the point where its peak power output was elevated to 281 RWHP on the same dynojet that it made 50HP less on before the upgrades or our work was done. The average dyno run for this car today is in the low-mid 270 range with its current flash uploaded which I use for street use and better MPG. This is also the flash that was uploaded when Beth set all 4 of the Land Speed Records with the car, the car performed better with my data acquisition system installed with this flash that when making even more net HP..

We have tuned the car for torque, the torque output is extreme compared to any 3.4 I have seen or experienced in the past, especially over such a broad RPM range which is what has made this car perform so well. This car is faster than the factory 3.6 powered Porsches that I have driven on many occasions.

Engine Specific Upgrades:

Internal/ Mechanical enhancements:
LN/ Flat 6 Innovations IMS Bearing Retrofit completed (3,500.00 value)
Sachs Race Engineering Clutch Disc (500.00)
Flat 6 Innovations 4" Under Drive Pulley (275.00)
LN Engineering Lo Temp thermostat (171.95)

Exhaust system enhancements:
Maxspeed Headers (700.00)
Fabspeed mufflers (1,195.00)

Oiling system enhancements:
Accu-sump oil accumulator kit from Flat 6 Innovations (1300.00)
Remote mounted Canton oil filter w/ all braided oil hoses and aeroquip fittings(475.00)-Full Flow oil system
LN Engineering spin on filter adaptor (134.95)
LN Engineering Accusump adaptor (129.00)
LN Engineering Magnetic drain plug(19.95)

Engine tuning enhancements:
EVOMS Carrera V Flow cold air intake system (595.00)
EVOMS software tuning (custom flash designed by myself and Todd Zuccone) (1100.00)

Total of upgrades at retail cost -32,649.95
Remember, aside from the IMS Retrofit procedure none of these items had their installation costs accounted for, just retail purchase prices!

The engine has just had a full service to include a complete evaluation of its health. Knowing I was going to sell the car I took the liberty of attaining used oil samples of the engine and transaxle lubricants. We also completed leak down, compression and bore scope evaluations of the engine's internals for inspection. I pulled the oil sump plate and inspected the pick-up tube for debris or any signs of impending issues, which is what I do at 70K no matter what.
The remainder of the car needs no maintenance and no repairs. The clutch, brakes, transaxle and etc are all in top shape. The tires are new with 1200 miles, the brakes have 12K miles on them, and nothing needs attention at all (to my knowledge). The interior is flawless.
With this car I know what I am selling and you will know exactly what you are buying.
This car has been optimized for track performance; the track is where this car belongs.
Although this car could easily be restored to its “stock character” with minimal effort, If you are a purchaser looking for a daily driver Porsche, or something with a subtle feel, smooth clutch and all the creature comforts this car isn’t for you in its current state. I do have the rear seats, stock front seats and many other parts to restore the car back to street use primarily, but I feel that would be a shame to such a well-balanced and fully sorted track car that has proven to be reliable both on the street and on the track.
With the JSC Competition Suspension/ coil overs and heavy springs the car is a bit harsh for daily driving, but on the track the performance is astounding. It is possible to drive the car daily, as my daily commute is 83 miles round trip and this car serves the purpose well, but it’s not for everyone. The sounds from the engine compartment during acceleration are best described as a “mechanical orchestra” and the EVOMS cold air intake really enhances the experience. While at cruise speeds there are no drones or annoying sounds from the Maxspeed Headers and Fabspeed Mufflers, a combination that I have used in the past with excellent results and sound. The car has a Sachs Race Engineering clutch, so it’s a bit aggressive, but still street-able. This car is well balanced from its power output to the tire/suspension combination it is ready to rock right out of the box. So many aftermarket enhancements for these cars and engines don’t work as advertised, this car has benefited from my knowledge of what does and doesn’t work and all the goodies you see applied I have proven to be effective, else they’d not be on my personal car.
I have also applied the LN Engineering IMS Retrofit bearing to this engine to address the reliability concerns that have plagued the M96 for the past several years. While applying the IMSR I also upgraded the RMS (Rear Main Seal) to the latest 997 revision from Porsche to prevent against oil leakage which is also common with these engines. The IMSR and RMS along with the clutch were carried out in August of 2009, roughly 12K miles ago. Those 12K miles consist of mostly street driving, with two ECTA events and one PCA DE at Road Atlanta where the car turned low 150s with a driver that hadn’t strapped in a Porsche (me) at the track since 2004.
This car is fast and handles well; it currently has a race alignment and is ready to hit the track as soon as you take delivery of it. For a 3.4 M96 powered 996 the engine produces extreme performance making a best of 281 RWHP on our Dyno-Jet chassis Dyno. I have used the car as a DE car and a street car, while my Wife has been a successful at setting speed records with the car. In May of 2010 this car broke four East Coast Timing Association (ECTA) Land Speed Records (all in different classes) different classes and currently holds these records. The car sported a best top speed of 152.170 MPH in the standing mile at Maxton N.C. and did this without ever being shifted into 6th gear.
The car currently has 70,114 miles on the odometer. I have stored the vehicle after it was detailed for the photos that follow in this ad, so when you receive the car it’ll be exactly as depicted in the extensive photos that I have compiled to represent the car’s current state. I want to give the absolute best descriptions of this car possible, so please bear with me. I am an attention to detail freak and I want the new buyer of this car to be informed of everything I know.
I’ll start by explaining a bit about driving this car on the street in its current form:
This Porsche gets a ton of attention on the street because it looks great; it’s black and has the appearance of a GT3 to many. It is possible to drive this car daily as both my Wife and I have done so, both averaging 50+ miles round trip each day. The fuel economy isn’t great because the engine is tuned for power; the car averages 20 MPG when driving with a heavier foot, I have gotten 25 MPG from it when driving on a longer trip.
With the heavy suspension and stiff sway bars the car doesn’t ride as smoothly as you’d expect from a Porsche, it is fairly rigid but is very compliant with the road or track. I have driven the car on wet roads and it’s just as tractable as on a dry road, due in part to the Sumitomo tires and chassis tuning. I like to describe this car as a “street-able track car” because that’s exactly what it is. So often I see people make a few enhancements to these cars but not go “all the way” with those enhancements. This generally creates a partially compromised Porsche that’s “ok” for the track, but also has lost some of its street-ability. These cars generally have their share of bugs and issues because they aren’t fully prepped. This car isn’t like this, you drive it on the street some and drive it to and from the track, but the car lives at the track and that’s where it wants to be and needs to be. The car is well sorted, reliable and has zero current issues mechanically. The car does have a constant CEL that is the result of being tuned for power coupled to the exhaust system that it has, I’ll go over this in detail at the end of this summary.
Despite being modified the engine is still very effective on the street as it is tuned more for torque than overall horsepower. This is what makes the car fast and extremely powerful at any rev range while retaining its manners on the street. Internally the engine is not modified past the IMS Retrofit bearing; it is as Porsche designed it while the externals have been greatly enhanced along with an EVOMS ECU tune designed by myself and Todd Zuccone last year.
The person who appreciates this car will like raw performance, won’t be concerned with strapping a car seat in the back and won’t care if his Wife doesn’t like the rougher ride. I have just described myself; luckily my Wife is a racer  If you like the sound of an intake, deep exhaust notes that aren’t too loud and the feel of hitting 152+MPH and still having another gear to shift into; you’ll like this car, even on the street.
It is possible to drive this car daily.
On-Track Performance:
The on track performance of this car is astounding, and that’s not just the engine; it’s the entire vehicle. What I value most about this car is the balance of power/ handling/ braking that it has. Driving this car on the track took a little while for me to get used to as I came from aircooled lower horsepower Porsches. The car certainly isn’t as radical as a Turbo or a GT3 but believe me the power of this car was just as addicting as the handling and braking that I’ve always expected from a Porsche, without buying a Turbo or GT3 this car is the closest thing you can get in my honest opinion and without the insane maintenance and repair costs.
When driving on track at Road Atlanta I never felt insecure about taking a corner and honestly didn’t know how fast I was going through turn 1, the esses or through turn 12 until I watched the video after the event! On the back straight the car would hit just about 145 MPH before braking for 10A, the car gets off the corners exceptionally well. The car is so well balanced that it doesn’t feel like you are pushing the limits of its capabilities at all and that’s what helped me to become more secure (and faster) behind the wheel.
From a safety stand point the car has a 6 point harness on the driver’s side and a 5 point on the passenger side. It has a stainless steel Porsche Tequipment roll bar that I strengthened to meet the rules of the ECTA for land speed racing. This added bar provides a better angle for the harness to attach to, which was the only change made to the car for ECTA competition. The car has a fire bottle with a very nice rigid mount in front of the passenger seat.
Mechanically the car has been upgraded to use an accusump system from Canton. This is an item that helps to equalize oil pressures when the engine’s oil pressure drops to an unsafe level. I have seen many 996 track cars experience engine failures due to oil starvation during track service and more rigid suspensions and sticky tires make the situation worse as G forces increase. The oil system modifications we have made not only make the engine safer on the track, but also filter 100% of the engine’s oil through a remote Canton oil filter with all external oil lines being -12 stainless steel braided. This system has proven effective and even allows for the engine to be “pre-lubricated” before start up by using the charging handle located in the cockpit of the car. This helps reduce initial start up wear on the engine greatly.
This car never disappointed me on the track and over time we proved that there was no use carrying spare parts with us to the track, because the car never needed attention, either at PCA or ECTA driving events.
Land Speed Performance:
The car currently holds four ECTA records and has broken records that were set by engines over 4 liters in displacement previously. It has also set records in classes that were specifically geared for “blown” vehicles (supercharged or turbo charged) yet the car is normally aspirated. The records that were broken were shattered by as much as 11 MPH over their old counterparts, which is quite astonishing considering the car was running on 93 octane regular pump gas and was taken to the Maxton Mile exactly as it was driven on the street the day before. The car is currently inspected and certified for competition in ECTA through the remainder of 2010 should anyone wish to use the car for this purpose.
Closing Summary:
While this car isn’t for everyone in the market for a used Porsche it certainly offers some unique enhancements all rolled up into a well composed performance package. There is no need to buy another 996 and then apply the updates to it and spend the time and money to do this, because this car already has over 30K worth of retail enhancements completed to it and that’s not even counting the professional labor to install and tune them. The car is well sorted and is ready to give instant gratification to its purchaser upon delivery as the car is tuned and ready to go (this is priceless).
Often times there are hidden charges and expenses when purchasing a car like this, but with me adding the shipping of the car into the price, thoroughly servicing the car and etc. I have removed these for the buyer. This is a nice first generation 996 that not only looks the part but fills the shoes that Porsches are expected to both on the street and at the track.
If you should desire any other pictures of any aspect of the car I’d be happy to shoot these areas and send digital photos. If you’d like to chat with me about this car and you are a serious buyer I have no problem discussing the vehicle at length.
Please call my office at 706.892.8192 and ask to speak to Jake Raby in reference to the 996 that’s for sale.

Known Issues:
- Small rear bumper imperfection:
This blemish is so slight that I had never noted it until I had the car detailed. It appears to have been bumped by a shopping cart or etc. very slightly but unless you are looking for it, you’ll never see it.
- Rock Chips
These are minimal and the majority was taken care of with a recent re-spray of the car’s hood and bumper. These chips come from both street and track usage and while they are normal and minimal they do exist and should be noted.
- Chipped windshield
Due to track usage the windshield has some very tiny chips from rocks and etc. These are hardly notable unless the windshield is super clean and in direct sunlight. Very small crack at the passenger lower corner of the windshield, it does not harm integrity and has been this way the entire time I have owned the car; it’s barely notable due to its location. It wasn’t an issue to ECTA scrutinizers even when pointed out to them.
- Check Engine Light:
This CEL is not detrimental to the engine’s performance but could affect street registration in some areas that require emissions testing. In my area it hasn’t been an issue for me at all and if used as a dedicated track car it also isn’t an issue. The changes required to turn off this CEL permanently would deplete a large part of the engine’s performance and I’d recommend it not be done unless someone wanted to return the car to full time street use.

What’s included:
I have the rear floor mats, the factory rear seats and the factory turn signal lenses and all of these will be included in the package at my asking price. I do not have the factory spare tire, jack and tool kit as they did not come with the car. I do have the factory front seats but would like to retain them and have not added them into the cost of the vehicle (I can add them if you’d like for more $)

Terms and Availability-
The car is located in Cleveland Georgia about an hour north of Atlanta in the NE Georgia Mountains. I invite anyone who is interested in the car to come to my office and take it for a test drive, just call 706.892.8192 or email jake@flat6innovations.com to set up an appointment. If you’d like a PPI completed (not necessary) I have no problem with that, but I require a copy of the report following. The potential purchaser would be monetarily responsible for the PPI in full.

I agree to use our shipper of vehicles (Earth Auto Movers) to transport this vehicle to its new owner at no charge if the vehicle sells for my asking price within the Continental USA. If the vehicle sells to an international purchaser I will provide shipping to the port or border only. This shipping will be carried out on an open carrier; enclosed carriers will add more money and the purchaser will be responsible for that additional charge which I can roll into the vehicle sales price. This will be done promptly upon full payment of the vehicle via certified funds or wire transfer.

This is my personal car, it is being sold “as is” with no guarantees express or implied. When this car is sold there will be no further association with the car and Flat 6 Innovations, which must be understood. This is a normal sale between two individuals, my company is not involved at all.

Pricing:
I have priced this car with shipping in the lower 48 included at 28,500.00. If you’d like to make me an offer, feel free to do so as the price is somewhat negotiable. If sold at a lesser price the buyer must assume all costs and scheduling of shipping for transport of the car to their location.

I am asking more for this car than the majority of '99 996s for sale, because it is a lot of car. I feel this is a very fair price for the car based on the upgrades that it has which at retail add up to more than I am asking for the entire car (32K plus install labor!). This car has much more value than I am selling it for, but in today’s economy I feel this is what the car is really worth based on its current level of preparation.

In a recent Rennlist "Whats it worth" thread RL members stated that the car in its current form should bring 25-27K, but they were not made aware of many of the updates the car has and the fact that the car needs no service work for the next 30K is also valuable. I have other cars to build and projects in the works, so a quick sale is what I’d like, give me a call or shoot me an email to make me an offer. What I am asking and what I'll take are two different things.
Jake Raby
Attached Images       
Old 07-15-2010, 10:56 AM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

I put together a video of the highlights of the 996 and shared it to youtube. Lots more pics and a short in car clip from one Land Speed pass are in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeyHqUkKwv0
Old 07-15-2010, 11:23 AM
Stuttgart951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

-WOW-

Deal of the month.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:38 AM
Brian A.
Rennlist Member

Nice deal!
Old 07-15-2010, 12:02 PM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys. I priced the car to sell. I don't expect it to last too long!

Last edited by Jake Raby; 07-15-2010 at 12:23 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:44 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did the car really gain 50RWHP from a chip, intake, and exhaust?
Old 07-15-2010, 06:32 PM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pcar964
Did the car really gain 50RWHP from a chip, intake, and exhaust?
...and under drive pulley, altered camshaft timing, and a choice selection of engine oil.

Its also no normal "chip", it took Todd Zuccone (EVOMS) and I a matter of almost a week to cook up the custom flash for this combination, especially for the altered cam timing. I also changed the variocam changeover point which picked up massive mid range power.

The graphs are reality. Last year we needed .5 MPH to break the fastest speed record we were looking for an I was trying everything possible to find the necessary speed to do this.

The parts on this car aren't just a bunch of stuff someone bolted on... what you don't see are the parts that didn't work and were pulled off and trashed. .
Old 07-15-2010, 07:07 PM
ryanm6100
Pumice King
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just called my insurance company and that would double my semi annual policy payment versus the 951
Old 07-15-2010, 09:11 PM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

When I bought the car it only added 65.00/ month to my policy.. That might have been related to the fact that I have a fleet of cars.. When I added the Boxster it was the same cost, but a hell of a lot less car!

Even if it did double the costs of insurance the fun factor is worth it.. I'd certainly keep it if the wife didn't want to build an earlier 911 (air cooled) land speed car.. Lots of records to be broken in those classes!
Old 07-15-2010, 10:15 PM
Riff
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet car!!
Old 07-15-2010, 11:24 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

Well sorted 996, GLWS!
Old 07-16-2010, 12:36 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

WOW Jake, you've been busy! Sorry I haven't kept in touch. The Spyder is now running much better, it's getting sorted. This car is just about perfect, man!

I took the liberty of posting this on our PCA region's website in the "for sale" section. Hopefully you'll get some serious interest. GLWS, buddy!

For all the rest of you out there: this is the deal of the century!
Jake is a perfectionist, really more of an artist than a gear head.
Whoever gets this car will be one happy customer, for life!!!
Old 07-16-2010, 01:03 PM
Stuttgart951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jake Raby
Thanks guys. I priced the car to sell. I don't expect it to last too long!
Have passed along to a friend who is looking.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:55 PM
Jake Raby
Burning Brakes

Jose, glad the 550 is doing well. Thanks for the kind words,
I've had lots of interest in the 996, with two people that are seriously considering it.. But until I have money it's for sale!
I hate selling cars, this is the first one that's made it's way out of my stable in 5 years, it's replacement is already here!
Old 07-17-2010, 12:02 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't mention it Jake. You are one of my heroes, and I really don't have that many.
So, might we get a clue as to the replacement? GLWS, it should go quickly!

Quick Reply: For Sale: FS 996 C2 "Streetable-Track Car"