Notices
Events A place to announce events of interest

The Mille 2011 World Record Porsche Tour & Festival Atlanta Nov 5th

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 09:36 AM
por917
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Excellent! I hope the record goes in the books as being broken here in the good ole USA!
Old 10-29-2011, 07:41 PM
tmoore
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by por917
Excellent! I hope the record goes in the books as being broken here in the good ole USA!
Wouldn't that be a treat.

Last edited by tmoore; 12-29-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 09:06 PM
4re308
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes that would be soooo coool if we could bring that record to the US of A!!

Getting lots of sign ups. We will shut down the online reg on Thursday event. Then we will resume registration on Friday at 12 at the track and Saturday morning at the track. Cash only!

Hope to see you all there!
Old 11-01-2011, 01:58 PM
St3mpy
Instructor

Question: I registered online. Do I pick up the "goodie bag" at the event?
Old 11-02-2011, 11:36 AM
D1A3
Intermediate

I'll be there with the 993 Cabriolet. I've got a buddy driving my 914 (his is on jackstands!). Trying to get all of my cars there to help with the record!

Anyone planning to caravan from the Roswell/GA400 area, please PM me.

Last edited by D1A3; 11-02-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:55 AM
D1A3
Intermediate

Oh, a couple of quick questions to anyone that knows...

1. Assume if you are pre-registered online that you can arrive at 6:30 -7:00 on Saturday AM to particpate in parade and laps around AMS. Correct?

2. When are the laps around AMS going to be run? After the parade? Also are the laps at speed (ie: bring your helmet/track gear)? Any limitations to running the laps?

Sounds like most folks I know are showing up Saturday morning and not able to make Friday. Hope all of this works out as planned! Can't wait for Saturday to come!!!!
Old 11-04-2011, 11:23 AM
3.6conversion
Instructor

1 day away. weather will be great..low 60s and sunny.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:29 PM
por917
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Let's have a good turnout and break the Record! Looking forward to meeting fellow Porsche fans.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:30 PM
Bob Shapiro
3rd Gear

Had a good time but not close to a record... had a good time because my wife is a great companion...maybe next year they will get their house in order and learn to control the situation, not let the situation control the event. I guess when it became apparent there would be no world record, the parade was scrapped. So we waited around in the staging area just to drive into the track, while the organizers knew there would be no parade.....and what happened to the concours? Some paid for touring laps and I am sure some did not...while everyone took part in them. The track was really too crowded for this kind of activity and the banking at 35 mph was not comfortable.I am sure the vendors were not happy either. I criticize but I totally understand the pressure of running an event of this kind, but.......would I come back? sure but it's only 40 miles from home.

Last edited by Bob Shapiro; 11-06-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:17 AM
D1A3
Intermediate

Poorly organized and did not even come close to meeting the expectations set. Not much went as planned. Very amateur at best. I know several people (and vendors) were looking for the organizer in the afternoon to string his neck. Probably good he was nowhere to be found.

At least there was a good turnout and got to hang out with some good people.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:35 PM
ToyCollector
Intermediate

I agree with last poster. Total amateur hour(s)....due to hours of wasted time. No signage on where to go, one line to check in hundreds. No toilets nearby while people waited for hours waiting for "parade" to start. Vendors were marooned inside of track while hundreds stood around in the cold waiting for "something" to happen. No food/drink in staging area....not an issue if we were only going to be there for 30 minutes. Some got there at 8AM, things didn't get moving until 2.5 hours later. No signage for right turn to track from transition to staging area for track "parade". Having helicopter filming event during low slow flight allows for no room for error if chopper had mechanical issue and had to autorotate.

All I can say is if a couple hundred more cars showed up, it would have been an even bigger disaster. The positive was clearly all the pleasant owners and wonderful cars there. No way would I attend this again unless major organizational improvements and changes were made.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:58 PM
AtlJimK
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ToyCollector
I agree with last poster. Total amateur hour(s)....due to hours of wasted time. No signage on where to go, one line to check in hundreds. No toilets nearby while people waited for hours waiting for "parade" to start. Vendors were marooned inside of track while hundreds stood around in the cold waiting for "something" to happen. No food/drink in staging area....not an issue if we were only going to be there for 30 minutes. Some got there at 8AM, things didn't get moving until 2.5 hours later. No signage for right turn to track from transition to staging area for track "parade". Having helicopter filming event during low slow flight allows for no room for error if chopper had mechanical issue and had to autorotate.

All I can say is if a couple hundred more cars showed up, it would have been an even bigger disaster. The positive was clearly all the pleasant owners and wonderful cars there. No way would I attend this again unless major organizational improvements and changes were made.
+1,000,000

Major CF. Totally agree about the amount of cars, there were maybe 300-400 cars.

Paid for laps and everyone got do go regardless if you paid or not. No drivers meeting a "free-for-all" on the track, cars darting, accelerating/braking on the banking, shocked there was not an accident.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:36 AM
blown 87
Rest in Peace
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by D1A3
Poorly organized and did not even come close to meeting the expectations set. Not much went as planned. Very amateur at best. I know several people (and vendors) were looking for the organizer in the afternoon to string his neck. Probably good he was nowhere to be found.

At least there was a good turnout and got to hang out with some good people.
The event organizer was no where to be found, cause I was looking for him also.
He told some folks that the lap (s) we took were only for the photo shoot and the laps that folks paid for would be in the after noon, I left at almost 5 and no laps.

What a freaking joke.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:38 AM
blown 87
Rest in Peace
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AtlJimK
+1,000,000

Major CF. Totally agree about the amount of cars, there were maybe 300-400 cars.

Paid for laps and everyone got do go regardless if you paid or not. No drivers meeting a "free-for-all" on the track, cars darting, accelerating/braking on the banking, shocked there was not an accident.
One car had tags on it from 1971, and frankly I am not sure it had been driven since then, not good when you have to push a car off the track.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:26 PM
Jacke2c
Formerly turbotwoshoes
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Default The Mille?

Yes, it was cold, and blowing, and yes we did have to wait. What kind of entertainment were you expecting for a first time event? I enjoyed myself thoroughly. I was hoping Porsche North America would have shown. I was hoping for more from the Swap Meet. But unless you go to Laguna.... so far all the events I have attended have been pretty much the same. No, I haven't been to Hershey, but do you get to drive? I made a new friend that lives in Atlanta... Thanks Michael for the enjoyable conversation! I wish others would post their pictures and/or videos! It was worth my overnight, and a drive from Montgomery, AL. Jack

Quick Reply: The Mille 2011 World Record Porsche Tour & Festival Atlanta Nov 5th