Notices
Events A place to announce events of interest

Guaging your interest for Porsche OBD II seminar.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010 | 10:03 PM
lugnutzine
2nd Gear

Default Guaging your interest for Porsche OBD II seminar.

Hi folks,
I 'd like to take an informal poll to guage the interests of Rennlist members and beyond.
I'm considering producing an OBD II seminar to help educate the Porsche community on diagnosis and repair of OBD II fuel and igniton systems, particularly as it relates to Porsche vehicles. The information in the seminar would also help users to understand fuel and ignition faults and parameters in any vehicle produced for sale in the US from 1996 until present. It would also include a much needed discussion and clarification of DME actual values, input signals, fault code and fault type explanations. The seminar would be generalized to a degree to cover the range of models/years and changes to actual value nomenclature, additional PIDs incorporated into the DME actual value menus, especially, an explanation of which values are useful. The main tool(s) used in the seminar would be the Durametric Diagnostic Tool and the PST-2 and PIWIS testers. Also included in the discussion would be the parameters affected by the ever popular DME "flashing". The discussion could also be expanded to other control units, however, understanding OBD II is daunting enough for most non-professionals.
I arrived at this idea thru the viewing of forums and noticing how much inaccurate information is being perpetuated on many forums. Sometimes I would post corrections to the misinformation, sometimes I didn't even know where to start because the discussion was so far off-base that it was apparent there was very little understanding to begin with. The purpose of this is not to self aggrandize or lord knowledge over others who are not as fortunate as to be professionally educated on this topic. Understanding this topic is not "art " as I do not express myself thru OBD II diagnosis, instead is the application of a set of rules that appears esoteric but is actually quite accessible. At the risk of self-aggrandizing, my qualifications include Porsche Master Technician, ASE Master Technician, and a less-than-useful Bachelor's degree in Sociology and Religious Studies from UIUC. Moreover, I believe I have something to offer the community, and can relate the material in such a way that it would be useful to both the advanced and beginning user.

Thanks, and please let me know what you think. I definitely welcome any comments from other professionals who would like to be involved.

Last edited by lugnutzine; 07-05-2010 at 10:06 PM. Reason: spelling error

Quick Reply: Guaging your interest for Porsche OBD II seminar.