Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

September 2021 Leipzig GT4 Delivery Journal

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2021, 04:48 PM
orca15
Pro

Received 255 Likes on 171 Posts

Great pics and story! Sorry about the windshield. And who said the Dutch were cheap! Try to get someone at a US gas station to give you $100
Old 11-01-2021, 10:35 AM
Nine_thousand
Instructor

Received 139 Likes on 75 Posts

Thanks for the great info on your trip Voodoo, sounds spectacular! Were you able to use the Track Precision app when you went to Spa?
Old 11-01-2021, 04:00 PM
VoodooUomo
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 30 Posts

I did! It was very cool when it worked but it was very sporadic. It crashed a lot for some reason. One of the two sessions it worked ended up with corrupted data somehow. I tried using it most of the day but ended with just one session's worth of data.
The integration with Carplay is fantastic because you get realtime stats on the PCM screen. I will try again when I get the car here with the phone mounted on the windshield and see if I have better luck when using the phone for video --I didn't have a robust phone mount in Europe and couldn't find one to purchase so had the phone stowed away in the center console with video turned off when I used it.

Take your own ram mount if you're planning on using it during ED I'd say.
Old 11-02-2021, 03:02 AM
Nine_thousand
Instructor

Received 139 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by VoodooUomo
I did! It was very cool when it worked but it was very sporadic. It crashed a lot for some reason. One of the two sessions it worked ended up with corrupted data somehow. I tried using it most of the day but ended with just one session's worth of data.
The integration with Carplay is fantastic because you get realtime stats on the PCM screen. I will try again when I get the car here with the phone mounted on the windshield and see if I have better luck when using the phone for video --I didn't have a robust phone mount in Europe and couldn't find one to purchase so had the phone stowed away in the center console with video turned off when I used it.

Take your own ram mount if you're planning on using it during ED I'd say.
Thanks so much for your response. I’m sure it was an incredible day! I’ll make sure I take a solid phone mount (I imagine there are some pretty good g-forces trying to pull the phone off the window!)
Old 11-06-2021, 10:43 AM
Cacou
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the great write-up VoodooUomo and congrats on the awesome GT4. I’m planning the Euro delivery of my TTS in late spring ‘22. I’ve done a BMW ED before, so the experience should be familiar, but I would still like to ask you a couple of questions if you don’t mind.

- Do I understand correctly that the track time in Leipzig is with their car and not yours? I was wondering how that reconciled with the break-in period that’s commended if it’s with yours. What did they have you drive if it was theirs?
- Did you find the factory tour to be compelling enough on its own to warrant a delivery there instead of in Luffenhausen/Stuttgart?
- Would you say Creasign’s PPF job was good enough that you won’t have to consider having it done again at home? I was worried about stone chips and paint damage during transport with my first ED, so this time, I’m doing a full PPF for sure.
- Which drop off did you choose and how long was it to get your car back?

Thanks again.
Old 11-06-2021, 02:37 PM
quattroboy
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Cacou

- Do I understand correctly that the track time in Leipzig is with their car and not yours? I was wondering how that reconciled with the break-in period that’s commended if it’s with yours. What did they have you drive if it was theirs?
- Did you find the factory tour to be compelling enough on its own to warrant a delivery there instead of in Luffenhausen/Stuttgart?
- Would you say Creasign’s PPF job was good enough that you won’t have to consider having it done again at home? I was worried about stone chips and paint damage during transport with my first ED, so this time, I’m doing a full PPF for sure.

Thanks again.
First off, VoodooUomo, great thread and fantastic pictures!

Cacou, I'm going to jump in (no disrespect to VoodooUomo), with my personal experience of ED at Leipzig in 2017, things may have changed, but I thought I'd share.

The track time is with their car, not yours. They have an "equivalent" car, so in my case it was a 991.2 C2, but instead of a manual, it was a PDK. I spent about 20 mins on the track, the instructor did 2 or 3 laps, then we switched I did about 10.
The factory tour at Leipzig is worth the visit, you can see the Macan and Cayenne being assembled, very cool with all the automation. I'd highly recommend driving to Stuttgart and visiting the museum there and do a factory tour, make sure to book in advance. I made the mistake of not booking the factory in Zuffenhausen and missed out, but did get to see the very cool museum.
I dropped my car at Frankfurt, since I was flying home from there (Vancouver), it does cost a bit extra to drop at Frankfurt, but for me it was worth it since I was on a tight schedule and for convenience.
As far as getting my car back it took exactly 8 weeks, it might be quicker if you are on the East coast. A tip, if you can find out the ship date from Bremerhaven and the name of the vessel, you can track the vessel online and see when it lands in Halifax, then Davisville for US cars.

Have fun with your 2022 trip!

Old 11-06-2021, 02:47 PM
orca15
Pro

Received 255 Likes on 171 Posts

I haven’t been, of course, but I am nearly certain that the factory tours at both locations have long been closed due to COVID and it doesn’t seem likely anyone will get those anytime soon. The museums have been open off and on, I think.

Last edited by orca15; 11-06-2021 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-07-2021, 11:05 PM
VoodooUomo
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Cacou
Thanks for the great write-up VoodooUomo and congrats on the awesome GT4. I’m planning the Euro delivery of my TTS in late spring ‘22. I’ve done a BMW ED before, so the experience should be familiar, but I would still like to ask you a couple of questions if you don’t mind.

- Would you say Creasign’s PPF job was good enough that you won’t have to consider having it done again at home? I was worried about stone chips and paint damage during transport with my first ED, so this time, I’m doing a full PPF for sure. The shops here tend to do custom cuts and wrap around the edges, whereas Creasigns used pre-cut from Expel and some edges are visible. This is just nitpicky --car looks great and definitely better than if it would have had no film after track and and high speed autobahn driving.

Thanks again.
1. Yes, it was a PDK and mine is a stick but it was a GT4 alright
2. You get a factory tour at Zuffenhausen as well, and that's where they make the Caymans and 911s. The Leipzig factory tour was great --they build Macans and Panameras there.
3. Yes absolutely. I did PPF and Ceramic and it's fantastic, especially happy that I had PPF before the track day. Only downside was sitting in Leipzig was no car.
4. I dropped off in Stuttgart on 9/9. The car got on a boat end of that month, took less than 4 weeks to dock in California, then another week and a half to make it on a truck to my dealership. I just picked it up here on Friday (11/5).

Last edited by VoodooUomo; 11-07-2021 at 11:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Tom Loder (11-12-2021)

Quick Reply: September 2021 Leipzig GT4 Delivery Journal