Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

Mar 30th 992 S European Delivery at Zuff

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2020, 07:16 PM
touringGT3
Pro

Received 297 Likes on 161 Posts
Default Mar 30th 992 S European Delivery at Zuff

Plans are almost firm and have my itineraries and accommodations booked. Sharing them in case anyone who has done ED has any comments to enhance my plans.

- Will only visit Germany and Switzerland for 11-12 days, flying time included. Flying into and out of Frankfurt.
- Pickup and dropoff at Zuffenhausen. Having winter tires require that I drop the car off at Zuff.
- Bases will be Stuttgart/Baden-Baden, Lucerne, and Grindelwald.
- Places to visit are Stuttgart, Baden-Baden, Lucerne, Jungfrau region, and Bern.
- Unfortunately won't be able to take the Swiss mountain passes since they are closed until June.
- Only scenic routes I'll be lucky to take are Black Forrest and Brunig Pass.
- Had to give up Nurburgring as it's way out of the way of my Switzerland itinerary.
- Wont' be adventurous on accommodations so will mostly stick to Marriot chains of hotels (except in Grindelwald), the boutique ones at least. Hopefully parking the 911 won't be too difficult.
- Total driving time planned so far is about 650 miles / 16.25 hrs. Longest single-day trip is the last leg from Grindelwald to Stuttgart via motorways at 225 miles. Might do a last minute Black Forrest run if I still have the energy to detour.

And here's my route. Feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Old 02-24-2020, 09:04 AM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

I would say you have a nice, no nonsense, not overfilled and doable itinerary. Go. Enjoy.
Old 02-24-2020, 05:08 PM
Monetthecat
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I would agree it seems easily doable in the time you've given. You will enjoy Grindelwald, CH. I suspect that you will be going up to Jungfrau. Some amazing views from that. Not sure if you are a golfer, but in Grindelwald they have a 9 hole golf course that is a lot of fun to play. Not PGA, but certainly an experience. You can rent clubs and we walked the course.

Don't forget you need a Swiss Vignette (road sticker) when traveling through Switzerland. You can purchase online in advance or at any petro stations close to the border.

Also DO NOT SPEED in Switzerland!! They will get you.

Enjoy!
Old 02-24-2020, 06:19 PM
adamsocb
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Monetthecat

Enjoy!
True that!
I was on a small road near Lake Lucerne last May and a camera got me in my rental going 8 KPH over the 50 KPH limit. It was an area with lots of small villages and the limit kept going from 80 on the open road to 60 just out of town to 50 in the villages. The signs were sometimes just a hundred meters or so apart. I saw the 60 sign, but missed the 50 until it was too late. They give a 5 KPH grace on speed cameras and since I was less than 5 over the grace the ticket was only 40 CH Franks (about $40). The next step, 6-10 over the grace would have been $100, 11-15 $250, and 16+ court summons. Keep in mind 5 KPH is only about 3 MPH so you are looking a a severe penalty for going 71 in a 50 or the equivalent of 44 MPH in a 31 MPH zone.
Link to the Swiss Speed Rules
Old 02-24-2020, 06:46 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Oh yeah, I second (third ) DO NOT SPEED IN CH!!!
The only time I did was in a diplomatic car and even then they tried to get to me and proposed a $3k+ penalty
Old 02-24-2020, 08:28 PM
touringGT3
Pro

Originally Posted by lupo.sk
I would say you have a nice, no nonsense, not overfilled and doable itinerary. Go. Enjoy.
Thanks! Yes, made it a point to not do too much in any given day.

Originally Posted by Monetthecat
I would agree it seems easily doable in the time you've given. You will enjoy Grindelwald, CH. I suspect that you will be going up to Jungfrau. Some amazing views from that. Not sure if you are a golfer, but in Grindelwald they have a 9 hole golf course that is a lot of fun to play. Not PGA, but certainly an experience. You can rent clubs and we walked the course.

Don't forget you need a Swiss Vignette (road sticker) when traveling through Switzerland. You can purchase online in advance or at any petro stations close to the border.

Enjoy!
Yes, will be primarily exploring the Jungfrau region. And yep, I'm a guilty golf nut. Haven't checked out any golf courses though since this trip will be in late winter. But as soon as this baby arrives states side in May, my golf clubs will be living on the back seats all golf season long.

Originally Posted by adamsocb
True that!
I was on a small road near Lake Lucerne last May and a camera got me in my rental going 8 KPH over the 50 KPH limit. It was an area with lots of small villages and the limit kept going from 80 on the open road to 60 just out of town to 50 in the villages. The signs were sometimes just a hundred meters or so apart. I saw the 60 sign, but missed the 50 until it was too late. They give a 5 KPH grace on speed cameras and since I was less than 5 over the grace the ticket was only 40 CH Franks (about $40). The next step, 6-10 over the grace would have been $100, 11-15 $250, and 16+ court summons. Keep in mind 5 KPH is only about 3 MPH so you are looking a a severe penalty for going 71 in a 50 or the equivalent of 44 MPH in a 31 MPH zone.
Link to the Swiss Speed Rules
Oh yeah, I second (third ) DO NOT SPEED IN CH!!!
The only time I did was in a diplomatic car and even then they tried to get to me and proposed a $3k+ penalty
Yes, I've read that Switzerland is notorious with speeding. Anyone knows if Baden-Baden also have speed cams?
Old 02-24-2020, 08:32 PM
touringGT3
Pro

Sadly though, with the corona virus now in Italy, I might be forced to possibly cancel this ED trip and settle for an alternate delivery. Hopefully I can be allowed to do Atlanta PEC, but hoping it doesn't come to this.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:35 PM
touringGT3
Pro

And he's lonely and already waiting for me.

The following users liked this post:
aggie57 (02-24-2020)
Old 02-25-2020, 04:53 AM
user 83838290
Banned

Pretty much every German city has multiple cameras... use waze or sygic to navigate around and you'll het notified. Sygic works offline so it might be better if you don't want to use a bunch of intl data.
Old 02-26-2020, 03:06 PM
FOOD11E
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@macmac I am picking up my 992 on the 27th as well, fingers crossed with the spread.
Old 02-27-2020, 12:29 AM
touringGT3
Pro

Pretty much every German city has multiple cameras... use waze or sygic to navigate around and you'll het notified. Sygic works offline so it might be better if you don't want to use a bunch of intl data.
Good to know, thanks. Will check out that sygic app.

Originally Posted by FOOD11E
@macmac I am picking up my 992 on the 27th as well, fingers crossed with the spread.
Good luck and congrats, @FOOD11E ! I already sent a query to the delivery program folks on the possibility of canceling ED if the situation gets worse. Hopefully it doesn't get to that point.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:18 PM
FOOD11E
6th Gear

Originally Posted by macmac
Good to know, thanks. Will check out that sygic app.

Good luck and congrats, @FOOD11E ! I already sent a query to the delivery program folks on the possibility of canceling ED if the situation gets worse. Hopefully it doesn't get to that point.
absolutely, let me know what they come back to you with !
Old 02-27-2020, 09:44 PM
touringGT3
Pro

Originally Posted by FOOD11E
absolutely, let me know what they come back to you with !
Got a response this afternoon that I have to decide by March 2nd if I'm no longer doing ED. Not really much time to evaluate the situation, but I'm not really cancelling my ED unless I'm forced to anyway.

How about you @FOOD11E ? Your itinerary is all set?
Old 02-28-2020, 03:09 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,907 Likes on 1,535 Posts

Originally Posted by macmac
Got a response this afternoon that I have to decide by March 2nd if I'm no longer doing ED. Not really much time to evaluate the situation, but I'm not really cancelling my ED unless I'm forced to anyway.

How about you @FOOD11E ? Your itinerary is all set?
Same here. I do hope you can do it, our delivery isn't till June 5th so we really don't need to make a decision until late April but we're watching the situation closely as well.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:20 PM
FOOD11E
6th Gear

Yup here is what I was thinking. I may just head north and east instead where the virus seems to be less present. March 26th -> stuttgart

To stay: @hotel from porsche https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g187291-d233929-Reviews-Althoff_Hotel_Am_Schlossgarten-Stuttgart_Baden_Wurttemberg.html

To do: (Mercedes museum, visit the city)

To eat: TBD

- March 27th Day

Pick up cars @8am at Porsche Factory, Porsche museum tour, lunch at porsche, 3hr drive to Lucerne

To stay :

- https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g188064-d1160988-Reviews-Hotel_Schweizerhof_Luzern-Lucerne.html

- https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g188064-d232991-Reviews-Grand_Hotel_National-Lucerne.html

To eat: TBD

- March 28th

Drive 3hr45min to Innsbruck

- drive through: Timmelsjoch Pass may be closed will have to check / Klaussen pass

To stay / eat: Innsbruck - https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g190445-d238224-Reviews-Weisses_Roessl_Hotel-Innsbruck_Tirol_Austrian_Alps.html not the greatest hotel but has amazing food

To do: Decent size austrian village on the edge of the alps, head up the mountain on gondola for cool views

- March 29th

Drive 2hr

Drive through Kitzbuehl, Grossglockner High Alpine Road

Salzburg To stayL - Fine hotel and resort credit and free breaky https://www.americanexpress.com/en-us/travel/fine-hotels-resorts/property/Hotel-Sacher-Salzburg

To do: Salzburg Cathedral, Red Bull Hangar-7 (Museum), Festung Hohensalzburg (Fortress), could be cool to see a concert as well in mozart’s home town

- March 30th

Drive 3hr

Vienna

To stay: fine hotel and resort credit and free breaky https://www.americanexpress.com/en-us/travel/fine-hotels-resorts/property/Hotel-Sacher-Wien-Vienna?linknav=US-travel-dd-fhr-PropertyResults-Austria-HotelSacherWienVienna / not FHR https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g190454-d488395-Reviews-Palais_Coburg_Hotel_Residenz-Vienna.html#/media/488395/292354316/?albumid=101&type=0&category=101

To do: hallstatt, concentration camp ? , market, museum

- march 31 + April 1

drive 3.5hrs

2 nights in prague - any of these would be awesome https://www.americanexpress.com/en-us/travel/fine-hotels-resorts/property-results/dt/4/d/Prague or https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g274707-d280821-Reviews-Art_Deco_Imperial_Hotel-Prague_Bohemia.html

Stop in Pilsn on way out to visit one of the oldest breweries in the world

to do: prague castles, Charles bridge, old town square, Vienna Prater (Public Park), Hofburg (Imperial Palace)
To eat: Restaurant Plachutta Wollzeile,

- April 2

3.5 hrs drive

Bamberg - https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g198395-d589779-Reviews-Hotel_Nepomuk-Bamberg_Upper_Franconia_Franconia_Bavaria.html or https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g198395-d200216-Reviews-Welcome_Hotel_Residenzschloss_Bamberg-Bamberg_Upper_Franconia_Franconia_Bavaria.html

to do: very cool old german city

- April 3

2.5 drive

Stuttgart - same hotel we started at

Drop off cars at Porsche

- April 4 fly out AC6945 to london + AC 865 to MTL

Quick Reply: Mar 30th 992 S European Delivery at Zuff