Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

Where do you park your new 911 on your ED?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 12:01 AM
Sam K
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where do you park your new 911 on your ED?

Hi guys, I am a longtime Porsche over 912, 944, Beck Spyder, Boxster, 911. I am thinking about ordering a brand new 911 and getting a European Delivery in Leipzig. I want to drive the car on a route through Prague, Vienna, and drop it off in Geneva. I attached a pic of the route.

My only question is.... where do you park this thing? I'm spending $150k + on a car and I don't want to get door dinged or stolen . Yet I want to see the treasures of Europe. I've been to Europe several times. Space can be a concern in some of the older cities, hence my worry about parking the thing and door dings.

I'm not the first guy to worry about this. Does anybody have any suggestions? Hotels with parking? What do you do with a $150k car? I'm sure somebody has done it with a $500k car before.

This is my intended route. Where to park?
Old 05-29-2019, 05:33 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,143 Likes on 982 Posts

I've done two European Deliveries and planning for a third. I went to some pretty shady spots too including driving all the way to Romania, through Serbia, Bosnia etc......20 countries between the two trips. For me, it was just a car and I treated it that way. I didn't change my habits or decision making based on the value of the car. I parked where it was convenient. I know that doesn't answer your question so let me offer some suggestions.

Park in a parking garage at a reputable hotel. They have security and it is in doors. Don't valet it, park it yourself. Park it has high up in the garage as you can while still remaining in doors. (i.e. don't park on the roof and expose it to weather). Parking high up will minimize traffic that passes your parked car. Most people are going to take the first parking spot they see in the garage so parking high up will minimize the number of times people will park right next to you and risk a door ding.

Park in a corner so that the passenger side of the car is right next to the wall as close as possible. This will maximize the clearance from the drivers side to the next parked car and minimize door ding potential.

I'd be more worried about rock chops though which has a much higher probability of inflicting some minor scars on your new car. Don't tailgate and don't follow trucks.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:22 PM
Monetthecat
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

For my wife and I we have focused on the hotels for safe parking when doing ED. Once that car is parked at the hotel we don’t use it until we leave for the next destination. Obviously 5 star hotels are best, but that’s also not a sure thing as many of them use public lots.

I would ask the hotels what the parking is like and also ask this board. For example I see Salzburg on your route. I can safely recommend the Schloss Monchstein hotel. Very safe/secure parking (albeit outdoors) on hotel property.

Also see Innsbruck... outside of Innsbruck is a town called Teffs and hotel called the Interalpen. Great parking underground. This hotel is used by many of the driving tours like Porsche and Audi

hope that helps
Old 05-29-2019, 06:51 PM
Sam K
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for the really helpful responses guys. It's good to have found a forum with intelligent like-minded folks!
Old 05-31-2019, 05:22 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

I like small hotels in small villages with outdoor parking. Pretty safe that too.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:21 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

Any good hotel has a parking garage, park there. Public parking garage - as was mentioned, park at a wall and away from people.

You're not going to enjoy the drive from Prague to Brno - they are rebuilding the whole freeway and there are many 80kph zones and frequently the traffic moves very slowly. The old parts are in very bad shape. I will be driving that route tomorrow in the evening and back on Tuesday so I can update you on the current status.

You will need a freeway sticker for Czech republic, Slovakia, Austria and Switzerland. You can buy the Slovak one online (takes a couple of minutes and you just need to enter your license plate), all the other ones are still stickers you put on your windshield that you have to buy BEFORE entering freeway at some gas station. Usually the German gas stations carry CZ stickers at around 30km away from the border.

Stop in Bratislava on the way, the old town is very nice, castle... pm me if you want any suggestions.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:43 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

Best advice is stay out of cities. My first ED with a GT3 RS I had to valet at several hotels and it was fine. Stressful but fine. Outside parking as Kobalt mentions in villages is good, and the easiest option. Now having finished my second one it was also all good over two months. Don't stress, just enjoy it. All insured too so focus on enjoying the car while it's moving.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:08 PM
Monetthecat
Instructor

You can also pre-purchase all the highway stickers (vignettes) at this website: https://www.tolltickets.com/en/

I have them mailed to me and adhere them to self-adhesive laminated sheets before we leave. Then I can stick them on the windshield and remove when done driving in that Country.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:06 PM
user 83838290
Banned

I just drove the complete freeway from SK/CZ border to Prague. You're going to be good, there are some bad areas (potholes and such) but otherwise it's fine with a bunch of construction and 100, 80 and even 60 zones.

If driving in 2m (6'6") wide lanes makes you nervous, then you'll have a bad time
Old 06-04-2019, 03:34 PM
user 83838290
Banned

FYI

Attachment 1304788

Last edited by user 83838290; 08-22-2020 at 07:22 PM.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:15 PM
Monetthecat
Instructor

Yikes!!
Old 06-13-2019, 07:52 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

I do check out all hotels for parking to make sure there are no steep inclines and stay out of the cities.
Besides that I don’t really worry about it and park it wherever I have to and pick the best possible available slot.

My car sat half the day today at a national park in the mud between two rental cars with helmet bag in the rear, cameras mounted on the rear window and front windshield..
I could hide it all and park elsewhere but there’s only so much hassle and worry I can deal with..
Always assume you’re buying a new front lip when you come home.

Quick Reply: Where do you park your new 911 on your ED?