Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

Euro Delivery Is MORE Expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 11:12 PM
aegiswings
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Euro Delivery Is MORE Expensive?

Just priced out a 2019 718 Cayman GTS today and I was offered $3500 off a GTS I ordered, but no discount if I wan't to do euro delivery. The dealer actually said euro delivery actually cost them about $3600 more than a custom order and so they couldn't offer any kind of discount. Is this true?

I know that discounts aren't as good as what you get with BMW, but I didn't expect it to cost more. I still want to do euro delivery, though. I hope it is worth it.
Old 04-01-2019, 03:22 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

Dealers do get charged $3k maybe a little more now, but they are compensated with an additional allocation. Some dealers waive the fee, others pass it on.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:22 PM
aegiswings
Intermediate

Yeah, that seems to be what I am hearing. Prices seem to be all over the place. Some dealers complain about it, some don't. Well, most at least make it known it costs them more.

What I don't understand is how production slots enter into the equation. I've heard them say they can use the slots they have. I've been told they have to check to see if they have slots. I've been told I can't order because they have no slots. I've even been told that the car has been discontinued and I can't order it at all. And then a dealer today told me that slots don't matter and it will take 12-16 weeks from the time I order.

The last one has the best price, so I might end up going with them. I'm worried I'm going to end up putting down a huge deposit and then wait forever for a car.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:47 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,145 Likes on 984 Posts

Originally Posted by aegiswings
Yeah, that seems to be what I am hearing. Prices seem to be all over the place. Some dealers complain about it, some don't. Well, most at least make it known it costs them more.

What I don't understand is how production slots enter into the equation. I've heard them say they can use the slots they have. I've been told they have to check to see if they have slots. I've been told I can't order because they have no slots. I've even been told that the car has been discontinued and I can't order it at all. And then a dealer today told me that slots don't matter and it will take 12-16 weeks from the time I order.

The last one has the best price, so I might end up going with them. I'm worried I'm going to end up putting down a huge deposit and then wait forever for a car.
I've done two Porsche European Deliveries and planning a third. Your dealer has to have a build allocation to order the car. I bolded your comments above that I know are true and do not conflict with each other........ but replace "slots" with "allocations". PCNA advertises European Delivery as a no cost option but they also allow the dealer to set their own overall price above or below MSRP. So for a dealer, he has to pay an additional $3k to PCNA (this was the cost for my last two) if he sells to a ED buyer. Many pass on this cost to the buyer, some don't. The dealer gets another allocation in addition to the car he is selling as compensation. Some dealers also charge you up front the 19% VAT which is reimbursable once you bring the car into the US. Some don't collect the VAT upfront. It's their choice.

For reference, the discount for my cars w/ED were:
1. 2014 Boxster S 5% off, No VAT. Did not pay any ED fee.
2. 2018 991.2 C4 5% off, No VAT. Did not pay any ED fee.
Old 04-02-2019, 10:59 PM
aegiswings
Intermediate

Originally Posted by subshooter
I've done two Porsche European Deliveries and planning a third. Your dealer has to have a build allocation to order the car. I bolded your comments above that I know are true and do not conflict with each other........ but replace "slots" with "allocations". PCNA advertises European Delivery as a no cost option but they also allow the dealer to set their own overall price above or below MSRP. So for a dealer, he has to pay an additional $3k to PCNA (this was the cost for my last two) if he sells to a ED buyer. Many pass on this cost to the buyer, some don't. The dealer gets another allocation in addition to the car he is selling as compensation. Some dealers also charge you up front the 19% VAT which is reimbursable once you bring the car into the US. Some don't collect the VAT upfront. It's their choice.

For reference, the discount for my cars w/ED were:
1. 2014 Boxster S 5% off, No VAT. Did not pay any ED fee.
2. 2018 991.2 C4 5% off, No VAT. Did not pay any ED fee.
Thanks for the advice. I'm a little wary about going with this dealer because he told me it does not matter whether he has an allocation for a Cayman GTS or not. I'm guessing he does not have an allocation, but he will take my deposit and then make me wait until he has an allocation. He claims he talked to Porsche and they told him 12-16 weeks from when I place the order. He is offering 5% off MSRP which is the best price I've found so far. Should I risk it or go with another dealer that definitely has an allocation.

I'm tired of being jerked around by all these dealers. I had another dealer offer 5% off a GTS yesterday, but when we drew up the paperwork, he told me he had messed up the numbers and it was really only 2% off. Fortunately I got another offer of 5% off today.

I noticed you bolded the comment that said the car was discontinued. Certainly that can't be true, right? The other 15 dealers I've talked to have all been willing to order a S or GTS for me, whether it is ED or not. I think that one dealer straight up lied to me in order to get me to buy one of their 2018's off the lot.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:20 AM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,545 Likes on 1,008 Posts

No allocation: no car.
The *dealers* aren’t screwing around with you. Individual sales associates are. Minor, but perhaps, important distinction.
Some sales associates can get an allocation through trades, connections or favors due, etc.
You have to ask specific questions to figure out if they are good or screwy.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:38 PM
Monetthecat
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the advice. I'm a little wary about going with this dealer because he told me it does not matter whether he has an allocation for a Cayman GTS or not. I'm guessing he does not have an allocation, but he will take my deposit and then make me wait until he has an allocation. He claims he talked to Porsche and they told him 12-16 weeks from when I place the order. He is offering 5% off MSRP which is the best price I've found so far. Should I risk it or go with another dealer that definitely has an allocation.

I'm tired of being jerked around by all these dealers. I had another dealer offer 5% off a GTS yesterday, but when we drew up the paperwork, he told me he had messed up the numbers and it was really only 2% off. Fortunately I got another offer of 5% off today.

I noticed you bolded the comment that said the car was discontinued. Certainly that can't be true, right? The other 15 dealers I've talked to have all been willing to order a S or GTS for me, whether it is ED or not. I think that one dealer straight up lied to me in order to get me to buy one of their 2018's off the lot.
Where are you located at? Perhaps we can recommend a good Sales Rep in your area.
Old 04-04-2019, 05:47 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,545 Likes on 1,008 Posts

Originally Posted by Monetthecat
Where are you located at? Perhaps we can recommend a good Sales Rep in your area.
This -^ But, I think a deposit and paperwork was already signed?

@aegiswings Did you already do a deal? That's you can't get out of? If not, let me know. I'll tell you who - specifically - to see for no run-around.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:02 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Deleted. Duplicate post. Weird.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:04 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

He needs to have an allocation and you need to have a commission number. A commission number is proof to you that the car in the Porsche Vehicle Sales and Management System and that you actually have a car reserved for you with a build etc. You wont get this with just a deposit. I would follow up with that dealer and verify that he has an allocation and that you will be given a commission number once you sign the buyers order. 5% off is a very good deal for European delivery.

My point there was that if the car is discontinued (i.e. no more allocations available), he obviously can't get you a car.
Old 04-06-2019, 03:30 PM
aegiswings
Intermediate

Originally Posted by worf928
No allocation: no car.
The *dealers* aren’t screwing around with you. Individual sales associates are. Minor, but perhaps, important distinction.
Some sales associates can get an allocation through trades, connections or favors due, etc.
You have to ask specific questions to figure out if they are good or screwy.
In this case, it was more than a single sales associate, it was the dealership itself. When I first called them, I told them exactly what I wanted and that I wanted to do Euro delivery. They told me that had a few allocations for an S, but only one allocation for a Boxster GTS. They said it wouldn't be too difficult to switch that allocation from a Boxster GTS to a Cayman GTS but it could possibly take a few days. The sales associate on the phone said he was the person who handled all of the Euro deliveries for the dealership and that he would be there on Sunday.

When I went in on Sunday, the receptionist directed me to a sales associate. I said the same things I had said on the phone a couple days earlier, and he said, "I don't think the Caymans are available anymore." Together we walked over to his sales manager who said, "No, those cars are discontinued. They aren't making them anymore and there is no 2020 model coming either". Those said that was it for ALL Caymans and that no one dealer would be able to order a new Caymans as they've shut down production for the year. They then directed me to the 2018 models that they had on the floor.

So it wasn't that they didn't have allocations (they probably did). They explicitly told me that no dealer could order one as they weren't making them anymore. And it wasn't just one sales associate. it was the sales associate, the sales manager, and to some extent the receptionist too that was were complicit in this scam. I'm not sure who I talked to on the phone previously but it could have even been the same sales associate. They told me whatever I wanted to hear to get me in the door. Then try to unload last years models at slightly discounted prices. Classic bait and switch.
Old 04-06-2019, 03:38 PM
aegiswings
Intermediate

Originally Posted by worf928
This -^ But, I think a deposit and paperwork was already signed?

@aegiswings Did you already do a deal? That's you can't get out of? If not, let me know. I'll tell you who - specifically - to see for no run-around.
Yes, I made a deposit, but not with any of the dealers I spoke about previously, though. I was also able to get a similar deal (5% off and euro delivery) from Porsche of Norwell and I put down a deposit with them. I have a build code but not a commission number. I've signed a purchase agreement. They've said I'll get more information about the euro delivery on Monday. Maybe that is when I'll get a commission number?

This dealership said that did have an allocation available, but there doesn't seem to any way to know for sure. Pretty much every dealership has mislead me in some way previously.
Old 04-08-2019, 09:53 PM
Monetthecat
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

aegiswings - Any update from the dealer?
Old 04-09-2019, 11:42 AM
jasonfreed
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, I made a deposit, but not with any of the dealers I spoke about previously, though. I was also able to get a similar deal (5% off and euro delivery) from Porsche of Norwell and I put down a deposit with them. I have a build code but not a commission number. I've signed a purchase agreement. They've said I'll get more information about the euro delivery on Monday. Maybe that is when I'll get a commission number?

This dealership said that did have an allocation available, but there doesn't seem to any way to know for sure. Pretty much every dealership has mislead me in some way previously.
I'd suggest you call Sebastian at Porsche of North Olmstead (in Ohio).

He is very well versed in Euro Delivery as he did it himself and arranged mine with my 2018 991 GTS.

Call him - you will get the real story. They are a GREAT dealership - I have never dealt with a more honest place and I've bought a ton of cars.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:26 PM
aegiswings
Intermediate

Talked to the dealer again yesterday. It looks like the car will be ready mid-June, but the earliest ED day is July 1. I'll probably head there soon after. I'm figuring out flights and hotels in the meantime.

Quick Reply: Euro Delivery Is MORE Expensive?