Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

Trip / Driver experience suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 05:58 PM
ScootsS
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Trip / Driver experience suggestions?

My dad got me into Porsches and last year I bought my first. As a thank you, I’d like to take him on a special Porsche trip.

In my head, I wanted to do one of those epic European Treffen or autobahn trips but realistically, I need to limit myself to a long weekend.

We’re in the NYC area and I’m willing to fly or drive one (or both of our Porsches) for a weekend trip.

What do folks recommend? Porsche experience center? Road trip to Cooperstown? Something else?

looking for something we’ll remember for years to come. Thanks!
Old 12-16-2018, 06:27 PM
Monetthecat
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Not sure if you can make a long weekend of this, but at the Porsche Museum at Stuttgart you can rent various P-cars for hours or days at a time. Also if a PCA member you get a 10% discount. I rented a 911 4S Cab this summer for 3 days and on day 1 drove down to Lindau, Germany. Day 2 spent 10 hours hitting the alpine passes in Western Austria. Total Porsche bliss... Day 3 headed back to Stuttgart via the Black Forest highway (route 500). Dropped off the Porsche and then renting another car from a more mainstream company for the rest of the 10 days.

Doing it like this requires a bit more planning on routes, but for me that's 1/2 the fun of the trip

Here is a link for more info:

https://drive.porsche.com/en/start.html

Last edited by Monetthecat; 12-17-2018 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-20-2018, 07:07 PM
Dkk16
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Monetthecat
Not sure if you can make a long weekend of this, but at the Porsche Museum at Stuttgart you can rent various P-cars for hours or days at a time. Also if a PCA member you get a 10% discount. I rented a 911 4S Cab this summer for 3 days and on day 1 drove down to Lindau, Germany. Day 2 spent 10 hours hitting the alpine passes in Western Austria. Total Porsche bliss... Day 3 headed back to Stuttgart via the Black Forest highway (route 500). Dropped off the Porsche and then renting another car from a more mainstream company for the rest of the 10 days.

Doing it like this requires a bit more planning on routes, but for me that's 1/2 the fun of the trip

Here is a link for more info:

https://drive.porsche.com/en/start.html
If I may ask some questions...

My wife & I are planning our second Europe trip for next year. We bought our 1st Porsche in October now we are hooked!

We are looking at the Porsche European Travel Experience, the 4-day trips. It is somewhat pricey, however I know it is 1ST class in all aspects. Having said that, I personally would rather rent a Porsche & do a few days ourselves. I think that would be more enjoyable & get more bang for the buck. My only concern is, and it is a major concern, is traveling/navigating thru towns, countries, parking issues, etc... I am very competent in planning & I could probably be O.K. navigating myself, but my Wife will be navigating. She is the most PERFECT person in the world, but has ZERO aptitude when it comes to navigating. What I have seen on day trips thru Southern Italy & France a few years ago, It looks quite intimidating.

I guess my question is, how challenging was your 3 day trip with respects to logistics, navigating thru busy towns, hotel parking, etc... ?

Can Porsche assist me with an itinerary / route?

Appreciated
DK

Last edited by Dkk16; 12-20-2018 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:52 PM
Monetthecat
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

My wife and I have been to Europe 5 times in the last 5 years. Each time either renting something fun or do European delivery of an Audi (never done it with Porsche). The first thing to realize is that all the cars have nav systems. The P-cars for rent at the Stuttgart Museum all have Nav and if you rent a nice enough car it will also have a nav system built in. We've rented as Audi S7, AMG E63, AMG S63 Coupe (WOW!!) and an Merc S-Class. So driving to location is as simple as putting in the destination in the nav. Just keep in mind that some countries have requirements for vignettes (highway stickers). Switzerland and Austria are two examples. Italy and Germany don't require them.

I've never had any issues driving in Northern Italy, Switzerland (don't speed!!!), Austria or Germany. I drive and my wife calls out the speed limits. Sure we've made a wrong turn or two, but the nav system re-routes you and all is good. My wife is also not good at navigating, but she's excellent at taking photos of the trips so it all works out.

All 4 or 5 star hotels have parking so no need to worry about that. Town navigation has never need an issue, but admittedly we avoid the large cities. Salzburg, Munich and Zurich are about the biggest we deal with.

I spend a lot of time with TripAdvisor selection the hotels and then spend time on Google Maps selecting the routes between the hotels. I try and pick the routes through the Alps or anything off the main highway.

To plan the route I use Google Maps and select waypoints between the starting and ending point that will route me the way I want to go. Once I have those I use those waypoints in the built-in nav system in the car and never had any issue.

For example here are my waypoints from Google Maps that routed from the Porsche Museum to Lindau Germany via the Black Forest highway. I loaded each of these into the Nav system of the car and it worked great.

Porsche Museum, Porscheplatz 1, 70435 Stuttgart, Germany 0
Baden-Baden, Germany 1:16
Ruhestein, 72270 Baiersbronn, Germany 1:50
Freudenstadt, Germany 2:17
Hotel Bayerischer Hof, Bahnhofpl. 2, 88131 Lindau (Bodensee), Germany 4:52
https://goo.gl/maps/3krXHcPr8F82

Any questions let me know. I'm already planning the trip for next year...
Old 12-23-2018, 08:15 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

Get a local prepaid card with data in Germany or wherever you land (it works in the whole EU by default), get a cheap android phone and download Waze.
It's better than any built in system and will actively route you around traffic jams and such. Your wife can enjoy the scenery.
Old 12-24-2018, 10:05 AM
Dkk16
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Monetthecat
My wife and I have been to Europe 5 times in the last 5 years. Each time either renting something fun or do European delivery of an Audi (never done it with Porsche). The first thing to realize is that all the cars have nav systems. The P-cars for rent at the Stuttgart Museum all have Nav and if you rent a nice enough car it will also have a nav system built in. We've rented as Audi S7, AMG E63, AMG S63 Coupe (WOW!!) and an Merc S-Class. So driving to location is as simple as putting in the destination in the nav. Just keep in mind that some countries have requirements for vignettes (highway stickers). Switzerland and Austria are two examples. Italy and Germany don't require them.

I've never had any issues driving in Northern Italy, Switzerland (don't speed!!!), Austria or Germany. I drive and my wife calls out the speed limits. Sure we've made a wrong turn or two, but the nav system re-routes you and all is good. My wife is also not good at navigating, but she's excellent at taking photos of the trips so it all works out.

All 4 or 5 star hotels have parking so no need to worry about that. Town navigation has never need an issue, but admittedly we avoid the large cities. Salzburg, Munich and Zurich are about the biggest we deal with.

I spend a lot of time with TripAdvisor selection the hotels and then spend time on Google Maps selecting the routes between the hotels. I try and pick the routes through the Alps or anything off the main highway.

To plan the route I use Google Maps and select waypoints between the starting and ending point that will route me the way I want to go. Once I have those I use those waypoints in the built-in nav system in the car and never had any issue.

For example here are my waypoints from Google Maps that routed from the Porsche Museum to Lindau Germany via the Black Forest highway. I loaded each of these into the Nav system of the car and it worked great.

Porsche Museum, Porscheplatz 1, 70435 Stuttgart, Germany 0
Baden-Baden, Germany 1:16
Ruhestein, 72270 Baiersbronn, Germany 1:50
Freudenstadt, Germany 2:17
Hotel Bayerischer Hof, Bahnhofpl. 2, 88131 Lindau (Bodensee), Germany 4:52
https://goo.gl/maps/3krXHcPr8F82

Any questions let me know. I'm already planning the trip for next year...
Originally Posted by lupo.sk
Get a local prepaid card with data in Germany or wherever you land (it works in the whole EU by default), get a cheap android phone and download Waze.
It's better than any built in system and will actively route you around traffic jams and such. Your wife can enjoy the scenery.
Thanks guys. Big help!

I'll do some recon & get back to you with questions...

Happy & Safe Holidays to all!!

Quick Reply: Trip / Driver experience suggestions?