Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

what was really the tab on your ED?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 08:10 PM
renault4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what was really the tab on your ED?

I am curious:

If one goes to the configurator and, starting with a TTS Coupe, one liberally and wantonly selects scores of boxes, even here avoiding a PTS color, the Aerokit and probably a lot of possible Exclusive Manufaktur options, one can easily push the bottom line from ~$190K to ~$230K.

Lets say for argument’s sake ~$250/260K out the door at a US dealer after taxes, title, license, tire/wheel insurance, etc.

Ok so far!! :-)

Now, purely for benchmarking, calibration and expectations management purposes (otherwise we will quickly get into a “if you have to ask..” situation), lets tack on the final cost of the ED (assuming the US as the origin).

The US State Dept per diem rates for different European cities list a range from $340 a day (Munich) to as much as $600 a day (Paris); figure on 14 days, that’s about $5000 at the low end and that’s for not very spiffy hotels!

Let’s figure on better hotels, front of the bus airline seats, decent meals and triple it, say, $15K. When expressed as a % of the total cost of the car, well, a tricked-out TTS, it’s not so bad—it’s still about the cost of a set of CF wheels!

OK, so, for folks who have reported here on their truly wondrous post-delivery adventures --no need to report exact costs--after factoring in hotels, meals, track fees, X days tooling around Europe, etc., where did you land relative to this back-of-the-envelope benchmark calculation?

About that? Below? Waaaay above that? 2x? 5x?

Old 08-09-2018, 08:48 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 29 Posts

There are some questions in life you really don't want to the answer to. Like when your wife asks about the cost of all the parts the UPS man has been delivering. The cost of an ED can vary greatly depending what hotels and restaurants you use. Airfares vary greatly depending upon your US departure city, airline and time of year. I completed a 16 day ED last year for two people and I figure I spent less than the $15K premium of a C2S over the C2 I bought. It was probably in the $10-12K range. If you're looking to spend $250K for the car, the cost of the ED is peanuts and you should be more worried about something else in life.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:45 AM
SpineConnection
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

​​​​​​i am leaving in two days for 12 day ED trip, and so far i have covered airline tickets, 5 star hotels and airbnb mix. I still have to pay for meals and entertainments, but it was not that bad. Used Airfrance from IAD to CDG (direct) it was only about $800 round trip. Used Hyatt points to book Park Hyatts Vendome for couple days (saves big bucks), some hotels and airbnb herr and there, I am at $3500-4000 so far. Without points I could be easily at $6000 mark with Park Hyatt choice.

I could see us (just me and my wife) spending $300/day for meal+entertainment+gas+toll, i will be right around $3500-4000. So $7000-8000 total for 12 days.

gotten 7.5% discount on MSRP on Macan GTS with PTS, i think i did well.

So overall under $10k budget sounds reasonable for 12-14 days ED trip. (Of course if you wife wants Chanel or Hermes, things can go over the bucket real quick).
Old 08-15-2018, 12:36 AM
quattroboy
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 25 Posts

My ED was a dream come true, was on my bucket list, I picked up a 2017 C2 manual in Leipzig, and toured Germany for 12 days. Flew economy plus from Vancouver to Frankfurt to Leipzig on Lufthansa, business class on the way home, stayed in 4-5 star hotels, ate some great meals and generally enjoyed myself. I figured about $12-14K covered it and I went light on shopping!

Old 08-15-2018, 12:04 PM
renault4
Intermediate

Excellent!

So far, the emerging rule of thumb seems to be: if you're thinking of an ED, figure on +/- $10K where, with careful planning, you can either come in under that--if indeed you need to--or exceed it if indeed you care to!

The issue was not to determine the merit or worth, in fact I don't think I have seen one posting where the owner regrets the event much less the cost, so by definition it was worth it to everyone irrespective of cost.

I agree further that if you are going to go down the line on the purchase of any new Porsche model, you shouldn't be fretting about the cost of an ED.

So this post was intended to draw on the experience of others to help set expectations for prospective ED participants. I believe this is helping in that regard.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:03 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

$3000 Insurance RS 2 months and $8000 for Macan 6 month.
2 month RS:
20 track days @ $1000 at 10 different tracks.
Fuel for 6000 miles
6 sets of tires
1 set of front pads
1 set of front rotors

Plus hotel and a few tickets back and forth.
Plus was offered $80K over in 2015 for my RS.

Did it again with Macan but that was much cheaper because only 4 laps at the Ring :-)

Cant wait to do it again.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:53 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred R. C4S
There are some questions in life you really don't want to the answer to. Like when your wife asks about the cost of all the parts the UPS man has been delivering. The cost of an ED can vary greatly depending what hotels and restaurants you use. Airfares vary greatly depending upon your US departure city, airline and time of year. I completed a 16 day ED last year for two people and I figure I spent less than the $15K premium of a C2S over the C2 I bought. It was probably in the $10-12K range. If you're looking to spend $250K for the car, the cost of the ED is peanuts and you should be more worried about something else in life.
X2 - spent $180k for my GT3 and this was a bucket list trip with my old man so I called AMEX Concierge and said go to town. I think I ended up at $25-30k total for my 3 week trip, but honestly it was the best and most memorable $25-30k I've ever spent. All my dad and I talk about is which Porsche we need to buy to go back again!!
Old 09-02-2018, 10:09 AM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
X2 - spent $180k for my GT3 and this was a bucket list trip with my old man so I called AMEX Concierge and said go to town. I think I ended up at $25-30k total for my 3 week trip, but honestly it was the best and most memorable $25-30k I've ever spent. All my dad and I talk about is which Porsche we need to buy to go back again!!
Sounds like an awesome experience with your father--thanks for sharing.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:21 PM
GTSdds
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So true..we go to Europe on a “normal” vacation and have a nice time seeing the sights and enjoying everything..getting from point A to B however.

Then one does a ED trip and picks up the new car to get from point A to B. ED becomes the only way a car guy wants to do Euro trips thereafter..lol, so totally true!
Old 09-04-2018, 08:18 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 957 Likes on 428 Posts

I'm doing ED #3 in a few weeks; doing #4 next summer with the wifes new Cayenne. We go to Europe for all our vacations, its more memorable to have our own car there. Plus, saves on rental cars!

As far as expenses, it truly depends on where you are going. Large cities expensive, small villages not expensive. If one plans to only visit large cities, then ED of a new Porsche is not ideal. You will spend more time stuck in traffic and panicking over parking spaces. Large European cities have such great public transport infrastructures that a car is not necessary. When I do my ED's, its always to mountain passes, tracks, off the beaten path places where the driving experience is the main focus.
Old 09-04-2018, 08:22 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 957 Likes on 428 Posts

Originally Posted by renault4
Excellent!

So far, the emerging rule of thumb seems to be: if you're thinking of an ED, figure on +/- $10K where, with careful planning, you can either come in under that--if indeed you need to--or exceed it if indeed you care to!

The issue was not to determine the merit or worth, in fact I don't think I have seen one posting where the owner regrets the event much less the cost, so by definition it was worth it to everyone irrespective of cost.

I agree further that if you are going to go down the line on the purchase of any new Porsche model, you shouldn't be fretting about the cost of an ED.

So this post was intended to draw on the experience of others to help set expectations for prospective ED participants. I believe this is helping in that regard.
you could easily do ED on shoestring budget. For example, my trip in 2 weeks is 10 days, Porsche covers 1 night. The track events are expensive, but since I will not be in a big city for any of the trip, I am not really spending more then $100/night on a hotel. Meals can be cheap take away or expensive sit down, again cheap budget it you want. I love beer, so thankfully its dirt cheap! Point is, like any other trip it can be cheap or expensive, just depends on how you plan it. Enjoy
Old 09-05-2018, 12:24 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by GTSdds
Then ... ED becomes the only way a car guy wants to do Euro trips thereafter..lol, so totally true!
THIS-^

I’ve been lurking this tread. The answer seems reasonably obvious: if you are really worried about a budget you’re doing it wrong. I don’t know how much we spent. Certainly in the low 5 figures with a bunch of that spent on track days and track cars. I’m just going to leave these here along with “What price memories like these?’

Old 09-07-2018, 09:17 PM
renault4
Intermediate

love this and all the other responses!

any chance you posted or could share your itinerary and where Amex Concierge had you stay?

Old 09-08-2018, 12:24 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by renault4

love this and all the other responses!

any chance you posted or could share your itinerary and where Amex Concierge had you stay?

I kind of want to keep my itinerary secret as it's very cherished & almost religious to me for some very very very odd & inexplicable reason lol, but Jaime @ Porsche Euro Delivery US gave me a PDF "GTS guide" that had a bunch of different routes all over Europe you could use as a foundation for trip planning. Pretty useful actually, had estimated km and duration (3-5 days etc), along with sights to see/places to visit along the routes. I think that it is or should be widely available to anyone interested, I can't be the only one to have gotten that

I pieced together a couple of those different planned routes, along with destinations my father and I wanted to visit, then handed that off to AMEX and they worked on building out an itinerary for me based on my criteria (like how many days we wanted in each area, type of hotel, *made sure secure parking/parking available at every hotel*, etc). But in short we did London to get adjusted a bit with the time and to hit a good number of pubs which is a favorite of mine, then to Zuffenhausen (just freaking amazing)/car pick up/Christmas Day Santa delivers the goods, then off to Switzerland, South of France, Italy, Switzerland, back to Germany. I spent a lot of time on the itinerary and enjoyed every second of it, as it was by far the most amount of coin I've spent on a vacation (by a mile) so IMO it deserved that type of attention/planning

Last edited by sampelligrino; 09-08-2018 at 12:34 PM. Reason: what good is a thread without more pictures :)

Quick Reply: what was really the tab on your ED?