Looking for a Porsche Mechanic in N. VA, Play in front wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 07:32 PM
buckeyefan
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Looking for a Porsche Mechanic in N. VA, Play in front wheels

Hi,

I own a 1983 944. I just moved to Fairfax, VA. Now, I need to find a Porsche mechanic. Does anybody know a good one?

My car failed the VA safety inspection because of play in the front wheels. I knew this existed. In June I bought new tires for the car, they also told me that there was play in the front wheels. I checked the joints myself, replaced the tie-rod boots, and adjusted the tightness of the wheel bearings. Everything seemed to be O.K. Then I took the car to the alignment shop and had it aligned. He told me everything lined-up properly; no problems. The car drives great. There is no play in the steering or vibration at any speed. But, it still does not pass VA inspection. I'm going to have it checked at a Porsche shop.

I'd like to know if it is typical for a 944 to have more wheel play than other cars? I heard of 944s having mysterious front wheel shimmy. If anyone can elaborate on this I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
SB
Old 10-12-2003, 07:36 PM
cjeckert
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

cheack out Autobahn Service Inc Fairfax Porsce Specailists VA 703-691-1771, I live right out side vienna its about a 10minut drive to them, they are near fairfax high school. they do very good work never had any problems with them also all work is garenteed for 4000miles
Old 11-11-2003, 12:16 PM
Par911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi welcome to the area, here is our local forum www.dorkiphus.com, there are alot of people in NoVA on this forum that can help you out. Personally, I would check out RPM in NoVa.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:45 AM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMA motorsport on Prosperity next to the BMW dealer in vienna. ivan and chris are both great guys - chris has a 951.

Quick Reply: Looking for a Porsche Mechanic in N. VA, Play in front wheels