Old 09-29-2003, 03:41 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts
Default 03 Foliage Run

http://www.sidv.org/Foliage%20run.html

Above are the pictures. Click on image for big whopping pics.

Well overall I think the 03 Foliage run was a success. There was a little bit more grab-*** and catch-up than I would have liked, but lessons learned, the next will be a textbook example of organization.

We started off meeting at Mark's house in West Newbury. There was a little fun in locating it, as the main turn off from the west was not marked, those coming from the east did much better. Mark's wife kept dragging people back whenever she took her 924S out, kind of a Porsche Pied Piper. As the morning moved on a variety of people rolled in. The highlight was John's beautiful GT3. The weather wasn't beautiful, so attendance was lower than hoped. Mr. John D conspicuous with his absence

About 1:00, a little later than hoped, we headed out to the first rendezvous. There was a fair amount of traffic so keeping together was a little difficult. As we got closer to Manchester we started to line up better. As we approached the tollbooths north of Manchester I got a call from another Rennlister, Tom, who was only a couple of miles away. We halted after the tollbooths to pick him up. He arrived in a beautiful silver/gray 928, purchased 3 months earlier. We continued on, and I had planned for a stop in Concord that was probably misplaced.

Along the way we saw “Jenni” in her silver/blue Boxter. She seemed oblivious to the Porches around her. Due to our recent stop and no one was really interested in seeing our lovely city. Oh well, bad call on my part.

We headed north again for the long leg. As we approached exit 28, the meeting place for our northern brethren, the weather turned poor. The roads did open up and we were able to get some higher speeds, but there were a variety of people blocking us on the way. Finally we made exit 8. A few 914’s, Paul’s (our guide) 928GT, and Keith and his wife in their 996 Cab. I later learned that Keith had shown up for some coffee and gas, and Rob R (914) had thought he was a Rennlister and ended up dragging him along (They day was punctuated with Keith calling the kids saying they were going to be later, and later, till they finally said “Have fun, we’ll see you when you get home”), hopefully another Rennlister convert.

We headed north through Franconia Notch. The weather turned unbelievable poor. We could barely see the end of our hoods, and my spirits dropped. Damn, we were here to see the foliage. My Navigator (Sue) said, don’t worry; you’ll be amazed at the weather on the other side. Sure enough, almost immediately the weather turned to beautiful blue skies with only a few clouds. Unbelievable.

We toured around to the Mt. Washington Hotel, We pulled in and there were cars and people everywhere. John tried to pull onto the lawn, employees at the hotel went nutz saying there was a 350 person-wedding coming and we couldn’t stay there. We were relegated to the lower parking lot. We got out and had a photo op and stretched our legs.

Paul and Keith (who live in the area) conferred and decided on another route south of where we were. WE headed back, with the Mainers with us peeling off to head home ((Karl, Sharon, Tory, Cody & Amy bringing a 911, 914, and a 951). Along the way we lost a few more. Their mistake. The road we found (118) I believe was great. Very twisty, very little traffic (I think we saw three cars coming the other way, and none holding us up), a little wet, but some of the leaders apparently hit north of 100mph. (Paul’s 928, the GT3, and my friend Pat’s 951).

We ended up at a diner. We relaxed for a while, and went our own ways.

Thanks to all who came, regardless of the weather. Particularly Mark and his wife who hosted the get together, John and Gigi with the GT3, Paul Bloundin our guide up north.

And thanks again for coming by Garth and your wife (sorry I’m terrible with names) and happy 25th.

See you all next year.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:53 PM
incessant
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow.. I am sorry I missed it!!!! I ended up having to work. I missed a week due to a cruise to Bermuda and had to make up time. (I know, I know, nice problme to have!)

Great pics! Very nice quality. I hope to join you all on the next trip!

-Rhad

Quick Reply: 03 Foliage Run