Notices

Pearlescent Paint

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007 | 10:47 PM
normank
Racer

Default Pearlescent Paint

I read that the hottest color in 1994 was Pearlescent. Has anyone seen the color on any car? Any thoughts on how it would look on a GT3?
Old 02-05-2007 | 07:44 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Isn't there a flachbau in Pearlescent White? Run a search on the 964 Turbo board.
Old 02-05-2007 | 10:14 AM
normank
Racer

Originally Posted by Damian in NJ
Isn't there a flachbau in Pearlescent White? Run a search on the 964 Turbo board.
Thanks for the tip. I'm going to stay with White. Too many issues trying to visualize what a particular car will look like in a non-standard color. And then there is: Once you paint it, you own it.
Old 02-07-2007 | 11:45 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by normank
I read that the hottest color in 1994 was Pearlescent. Has anyone seen the color on any car? Any thoughts on how it would look on a GT3?

Actually most of the special order metallic paints offered in the early 90's are Pearlescent. My Cobalt blue and Amazon green are both considered pearlescent. They are very cool the way they change colors depending on lighting.

There were 2 94 turbo S's and one 928GTS painted in Pearlescent white as special order at an additional cost of something like $19k back then. Very nice color but very hard to match if it gets damaged.
Old 02-07-2007 | 03:50 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

For the 968's in similar years we have examples listed for several metallic colors in both non pearl and pearl. If we get lucky enough to have examples of both at our Hershey event this year I'll try and take pics.

FWIW, I had my wife's Audi done in Pearl White Pearlescent. Big pain in the behind to get them to agree to do it (said they needed regional approval, since they shut down the paint line for a week every 6 months or so to do the cars) and it was a couple grand more and a long wait. And after wifey scratched up the car once the match was never that great. So I'd never order one again.

Quick Reply: Pearlescent Paint