Clearing a New York 'Parts Only' Title-Car Is In California

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 10:44 PM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 150 Posts
Default Clearing a New York 'Parts Only' Title-Car Is In California

Hello,

I'm looking for advice on how to proceed with clearing the title of a an '87 924S I bought recently that came to me with a Parts Only title. I originally thought a NY Parts Only title was the same as a 'Salvage' title here in California. My local DMV has informed me that it is not. Why did I buy a vehicle that was so badly destroyed it was branded this way? I did not. The vehicle has never been in an accident. It has a clean Car Fax, and the vehicle has zero evidence of ever been damaged. It's not been recently repaired, either. It has old, faded paint, old untouched undercarriage components, etc. It had been donated to a charity as part of an estate liquidation and somehow picked up this branding in the process. My only theory is that it's history includes sitting untouched in the garage of the widow who's husband owned and drove it since the mid 90s, and racked up some pretty big back registration fees, which would have made it unpalatable to most potential buyers. That's just a guess though. I've written to the NY DMV, but haven't heard back yet. I also have a special number to call at the California DMV, which I just need to wait for a 90 minute hole in my life to clear up, which is what the wait time is for them. In the mean time I'd thought I'd inquire here and see if anyone has been in a similar circumstance. The car is in pretty nice original condition, and I'd really like to save it.

Thank you for your suggestions,

Rick

Quick Reply: Clearing a New York 'Parts Only' Title-Car Is In California