Notices

east coast to pikes peak hill climb!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 12:56 AM
carsofathens
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default east coast to pikes peak hill climb!!!

Hello, would anyone be interested in a convoy from Georgia to pikes peak Colorado for the hill climb this year? I would want to avoid highways when possible and try to find some fun driving roads. Please let me know if you are at all interested or, want to let me know that i'm a dumbass and my stupid old Porsche is going to breakdown.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:53 AM
MyNameIdeasWereT
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

I made that trek the last two years from Dahlonega, GA. Though both times were in my Volvo rally cars and not the Porsche. If you're willing to go offroad, there's some great trails to get sideways on.

After hauling 22 hours non stop to get home last year, I told myself I'd only consider flying out in future years. It's fun when you can get a small convoy of cars to travel with, but it's lonely by yourself.

To be honest, the most fun roads are the ones we have here in the Smokey mountains and then the ones you get out in the Rocky mountains. When hauling cross country, just take the highway. Especially once you hit Kansas. You can either take the straight highway all the way across the state, or you can take that straight road that runs parallel to the highway all the way across the state. Be sure to check out the Garden of the Gods, which isn't too far from the base of Pikes Peak. Also make sure you set aside the time to actually drive to the top, as it's fun to say you've driven the legendary road in your own car.

There's some sections of highway where you'll travel over 200 miles between gas stations, so plan accordingly for that.

Be sure to prepare your car for the elevation changes. Modern technology will adapt, but only after you've restarted the car at the new elevation. I did about a 350 mile stretch and almost stalled my car at the first red light because it took so much throttle to get moving, but as soon as I restarted the car, it was ready to go. Though hideously slow.

Old 04-17-2019, 12:32 AM
carsofathens
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love your photo's! I think I want to take the stupid route and go down towards Alabama and than head west. either way I love sliding my Porsche in the dirt!

Quick Reply: east coast to pikes peak hill climb!!!