Notices
E/SIM Racing For discussion and info on iRacing, SIMs etc.

Monitor Options

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2021 | 09:38 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Speed2k
Thanks, the clarity info is good to know! I think I'll hold off until the technology matures a little more.

What wheel stand are you using and is it stable enough to use for sim racing? My wheel is attached to my desk, but I find it's a little too high for my liking because of space limitations, a wheel stand is probably the best alternative for me at the moment so I'm considering my options.
It is from Next Level Racing and is quite sturdy and fairly adjustable, but they have changed designs since so shop around. The mouse plate was a spare thing (that came with it) I modified and bolted on, the "flight" adapters were add-ons from the to their basic racing stand at the time.

Last edited by Gary R.; 11-28-2021 at 09:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Speed2k (11-30-2021)
Old 11-29-2021 | 02:29 PM
THJR
Rennlist Member

for good quality rig/chassis/monitor stands check out rigmetal .com (no affiliation)
One man operation (I think) and he sells out very quickly. But pricing is less than sourcing raw material and building from scratch.... ask me how I know haha

for monitors, I'd say go with 27" or 32" curved with at least 144mhz refresh rate if possible. I know it makes zero sense based off how the human eye works, but racing at 100fps vs 240fps is night and day.
Resolution is just eye candy. 1080, 1440, 4K...they all "work" just fine.
I know nothing about VR other than the setup I'd want is stupid money and I'd likely need to dedicate a 3090 to each eye! lol

In the past 7-8months I've gone pretty far down the rabbit hole... Mariana Trench is prob more like it and Im still digging! lol
More than happy to help anyone as far as hardware, setup or really anything iRacing related.

The following users liked this post:
mobius911 (11-29-2021)
Old 11-30-2021 | 07:05 PM
Speed2k
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gary R.
It is from Next Level Racing and is quite sturdy and fairly adjustable, but they have changed designs since so shop around. The mouse plate was a spare thing (that came with it) I modified and bolted on, the "flight" adapters were add-ons from the to their basic racing stand at the time.
Thanks, I ended up buying a GT Omega Apex yesterday, hopefully it's as sturdy. The reviews seem quite good. https://simracereviews.com/reviews/g...x-wheel-stand/
Old 03-05-2022 | 07:31 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Just to add I had been trying to order a 3 monitor stand from SimLab for quite a while (Always Out of Stock, until today!) but did grab the Vario VESA Adapter kit from them. In the interim I found that Next Level Racing had a similar but much heavier duty stand and (separate) 3 monitor adapter kit. It was substantially more expensive but just comparing the base it looks to be about twice the material. My use puts this up on a very large table up against a sloped ceiling, so I cut the uprights down to where I needed them and built away. The Vario Vesa Mounts worked perfectly with this stand, and the channel "nuts" that came with the NLR stand are perfect fits in the crossbar channels, about 30% larger than the SimnLab nuts. One thing to keep in mind, the VESA mounts that come with the NLR stand are gigantic and will NOT work on the back of a monitor with any type of inset to the VESA holes (maybe a 55-65" will be ok, mine are 32"). You would need to buy some 1/2"+ spacers to use them. To me the Vario VESA mounts are absolutely necessary to have perfect monitor alignment anyway. A couple pics to show the setup (currently in Flight Sim configuration).. Very pleased with the quality, rock steady..

Next Racing Triple Stand Front

Next Racing Triple Stand Side

Vario-VESA Lower View

Vario-VESA Upper View

Last edited by Gary R.; 03-05-2022 at 08:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Monitor Options