Notices

955/957 Cayenne DIY: Opening a stuck front ashtray

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 11:28 AM
Ghoulie
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Cayenne S 2006 - front ashtray stuck

Just bought a low mileage Cayenne S and amongst several niggly bits (single CD player won't recognise a cd) - front ashtray wouldn't open. Read this thread and others re what appears to be a common Porsche problem (so much for supremacy of German engineering!) - I slipped a thin palette knife blade into both sides of the top of the offending ashtray about an inch from each side so I could hear the blade clicking through something like a catch then put a scredriver in the centre and slid it into the ashtray and force it back gently - hey presto, it came open. Saved wasting an hour of my time dismantling the surrounding bits to get at it, I will leave it open for access to the lighter socket to run my Garmin satnav and iphone from - both items way in advance of the antiquated Porsche inbuilt stuff that is about as intuitive as a Greek novel written in Greek and costing a fortune to convert via bluetooth kits etc.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:36 AM
Ghoulie
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Stuck front ashtray

pushed in but nothing happening. Read this forum advice and tried inserting 2 thin palette knife blades about 1 inch in from each end of ashtray front at top gap - you can feel them click through a sort of catch. The put a screwdriver blade end into centre - pushed in and gently exert rearward pressure - bingo - ashtray flicked out. Nothing inside it at all. Far quicker / easier than dismantling surround.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ghoulie:
Jupiterfish (03-30-2022), ulflun (06-21-2020)

Quick Reply: 955/957 Cayenne DIY: Opening a stuck front ashtray