Notices

955 spare tire cover latch fix DIY with pictures

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2022, 04:36 PM
Mongler04
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 955 spare tire cover latch fix DIY with pictures

Here is my fix for the rear spare tire cover latch. The 955 has a very cheap and lazy design with 2 pins that bend easily and over time the latch comes apart. Well I fixed it for a few bucks and some common tools. Here is how I did it.

You will need about 1 hour and the following tools
  • · Drill
  • · T-10 Torques bit
  • · 3/16 drill bit
  • · 8-32 and 10-32 tap OR a 10-32 tap and a #21 or a 5/32” drill bit
  • · Screw drivers flat and Philips
  • · Razor knife
  • · Some blue Loctite
  • 10-32 stainless screws panhead
· I also used some other tools to figure out the work but the above is what is needed for you if you follow this guide.

Here are the part numbers

I was going to order the part before I figured out how to do this and Gaudian wanted almost $100 bucks for this and that was 6 weeks back ordered from Germany and would still have the same issue.

Spare wheel covering

Complete 955 551 115 00

Satin black 955 551 115 000 1C

Sand Beig 955 551 115 006 C6

Palmgreen 955 551 115 006 H8

Steel grey 955 551 115 007 A8

Open the rear hatch for the spare tire there are 4 screws that are a t-10, be careful they are only into plastic, finger tight is all that is necessary when installing them.

Disassemble by taking out the pins

Now either drill out the holes for the 10-32 tap or just use a 8-32 tap then the 10-32 as I did. You can do this in your hand on slow with a drill.

Now drill a 3/16 hole though the plastic where the old pins were.

Put the 10-32 screws into the enlarged holes and install the spring but just so that the screws are flush with the inside of the spring.

Put a drop of blue thread locker on all 4 threaded areas.

Install the latch as shown then push down gently and wiggle it, now lift it up with your finger and start threading in the screws by hand.

You do not want the screws tight; keep testing the latch for binding, just as close as they can come to the plastic then back a tiny bit.

Now take it to the car and test fit, use a razor to lightly trim a tiny bit back but not all the way to the line in the fabric. Keep trimming the wood a bit at a time. Now use the drill bit and gently drill out some of the wood from under the carpet leaving the fabric.

Pull the fabric back as you install this. Take your time and it will be flawlessly invisible.

(notes)
I tried to use some stainless rod but the price was about $20 for a foot of 3mm stainless rod... would be a direct slide in and done but still had wiggle issue and would bend and cause issues.
2nd attempt was to use threaded rod but getting the threads to line up on both sides is impossible. I also wanted to thread the screws in from the inside and this might be doable with a ball allen and a smaller thread and bolt but the distance is the issue.
This was $2 bucks for the screws, i had everything else.

Quick Reply: 955 spare tire cover latch fix DIY with pictures