Notices

955 Cayenne DIY: Replacing the dash alert chime speaker.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 07:15 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 814 Likes on 456 Posts
Default 955 Cayenne DIY: Replacing the dash alert chime speaker.

I noticed that I wasn't getting alert chimes from the truck, so I checked the Googles and found out that the most likely culprit was a speaker buried in the instrument pod. After watching a couple of Youtube videos, I ordered a replacement chime for $30.

Tools used:
  • T20
  • T10
  • Trim removal tool
  • Pick
I didn't take pictures while disassembling, but I took them when I put it back together. I'll reorder them so it makes sense. I knew the operation was a success because during reassembly I bumped the turn signal and got that chime. Success!

Pop off the rubber ignition barrel trim.

Pop off the left and right center trim pieces with a trim tool. They're held on by tabs near the ends. The one on the left has the ignition barrel trim built in.

Unscrew the ignition barrel retaining ring. It's the thing with the detents.

Open up the side of the dash.

Disconnect the vent wire. Remove the vent.

One T20 behind the vent.

Three T20s on this side, two on the other.

I had a little trouble getting enough torque to turn this one.

Here is the upper cover panel pulling away. The lower part will also separate a little.

Here is the lower part of the dash panel after removing the upper cover panel.

This cover piece is attached to the steering wheel. It slots into the cover panel piece. It hides two T20s for the cluster, one on either side of the wheel. These T20s do not have the flange.

The cover under the top of the pod is held in by two tabs. You have to get your pry tool right at the base of the tab.

Here are the slots where the underside of the pod inserts.

Take out 4 T20 (2 on each side) that hold the cluster in and hold the top of the pod.

The top of the pod has a single T20 in the back that can't really be reached until you lift the front of it up.

Once the top of the pod is off, you simply pull the instrument cluster forward. On the back are two super easy connectors. Rotate the pink lever away from the wire, then they pull straight away from the back of the cluster. The blue one is open, the green one is closed.

There are 6 T10 screws around the outside of the instrument cluster.

There's the chime speaker. Pull the connector apart and the speaker pops in and out.

Installation is the reverse. I made sure to put a good amount of effort into tightening the T20s to prevent the dash from squeeking.

Other than a couple of tricky screws (the one at the back of the top of the pod), and the surprising amount of force needed to pop the tabs loose from the slots, the only thing that I would mention is that during reassembly I had to reach into the dash from the side and push the ignition barrel into place while screwing on the retaining ring.
Old 09-09-2020, 03:47 PM
bjmusico
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice instructions, helped me immensely!

One small thing I noticed when I removed the "top of the pod" above the cluster. At the single hard-to-reach screw at back of top pod, there is a small black plastic spacer/washer. It's located between the pod and main dash, and the screw goes through it. In your picture with the pod lifted, but screw still in place, it can be seen. Once the screw is removed, it will fall out. I only realized it was there because I found it rolling around on the dash after I removed the top pod. If it had fallen somewhere, I would never have realized it existed. Probably doesn't make a big difference, but seems to keep the pod-to-dash spacing when screw is tightened down.

My speaker has been out since I've owned the car. Finally got around today to replacing it and heard the alert tones for the first time. Since we were used to the "quiet" mode, I added a small button switch under dash to disengage speaker, if wanted.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: 955 Cayenne DIY: Replacing the dash alert chime speaker.