Notices
DIY - 991 DIY info for the 991

991 DIY Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2023, 07:44 PM
The Roon
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

How do you reset the change oil reminder?
Old 05-17-2023, 02:51 PM
bt1911
3rd Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have
one of these one of these
that works fine. Pretty sure you can't reset it like you do all the other stuff; clock, odometer, etc.
Old 05-18-2023, 04:56 PM
The Roon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bt1911
I have one of these that works fine. Pretty sure you can't reset it like you do all the other stuff; clock, odometer, etc.
Yes, I was looking at that.
I noticed there's a V3, but not sure if the 911 is included. I saw a Volvo, Mercedes, Land Rover etc., but no Porsche.

However, definitely a tool to have since I'll be doing my own oil.
Old 08-01-2023, 03:28 PM
barrios35
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Oil drain plug

Do you replace the whole plug or just the o ring? Where do you purchase them. Dealer, Amazon or favorite store?

Don't want to have a leak later.

Thanks! Going to do it for the first time.
Old 08-01-2023, 04:25 PM
bt1911
3rd Gear

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Both. I consider the washer and the drain plug as throwaways just like the filter. They're cheap enough and I don't want to keep torquing that aluminum plug over and over. As to where, I get them from the dealer. By the time you add shipping costs from the internet, they're cheaper just to drive to the dealer and pick them up. At least for me.
The following users liked this post:
barrios35 (08-05-2023)
Old 08-01-2023, 05:06 PM
The Roon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by barrios35
Do you replace the whole plug or just the o ring? Where do you purchase them. Dealer, Amazon or favorite store?

I'm replacing the oil drain plug, but only because I want a magnetic one.
The crush washer/oil drain plug gasket should be changed at each oil change..it's cheap enough, although some people will change it every other oil change.
I get my oil and magnetic plug and washers from LN Engineering. The Driven oil is supposedly made for DI engines, hence I'm going Driven for all my DI engine vehicles.
Here's a link on the page where I purchased my stuff.
https://lnengineering.com/products/d...40-bundle.html
barrios35 (08-05-2023)
Old 08-01-2023, 05:58 PM
edsonreds
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Piwis manual dictates changing both bolts and crush washers.

From experience you need not change bolts unless the female allen holes are rounded. But you NEED to change the washers because the washers get crushed and provide seal. Bolts are not torqued to yield which is when you should change them. But washers are torqued and deformed, that is why they are one time use.

And remember: torque every bolt to spec.

The following 2 users liked this post by edsonreds:
barrios35 (08-05-2023), Sajan (08-15-2023)
Old 08-21-2023, 08:40 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 678 Likes on 474 Posts

I've always performed my own maintenance and repairs simply because I have full control over the process, and in the case of these dipstick-less engines, if you had the oil changed by a dealer or shop, how do you really know it was changed. It is not like you can pull out the dipstick and check for clean oil.

And nothing I hate more than a messy job, so I make sure I have a kitchen-catcher bag next to the oil filter to drop the filter cover and used oil filter into it, without it dripping all over the place.

Oh and so much talk about rounding out the aluminum drain plug. I use a quality Snap-On bit and I still have the original drain plug in my 2015. The drain plug still looks new and that would be with at least 8 oil changes so far. Not that I need to, but I use a torque wrench.

Sajan (08-23-2023)
Old 08-28-2023, 12:22 PM
barrios35
Instructor

Default Oil level

Finally did this weekend on my 991.2 4s. That was a lot of oil that came out! Going to need to buy a bigger drain bucket.

Thank you all for the input. Mich appreciated!

Scariest part is adding the oil. Lol! Did not want to over fill.

Where does the green level need to be?

I feel like it should be in the middle and I need to add more oil.

Old 08-28-2023, 04:59 PM
edsonreds
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Congrats on the accomplishment!!! From now on you will start making more complicated stuff.

My 2 cents regarding your questions:

1. A way to gain security on the amount of oil being poured in would be to measure how much oil came out. You can do it buying a 5 galloon water reservoir and store the old oil there. Make some marks in the botlle to measure each 0.5 liter or quart. Then you will know how much to add back.

2. There are 2 dots in the bar. As long as the oil level is between the 2 bars, the car will tell you "oil level is correct". But in case you missed the mark (either below or above) dont sweat at all. Just make sure not to rev the car, go back to your garage and add 0.25 of a quart each time or drain 0.25 of a quart. Just remember, dont rev up the car if you are in the street and go back to your garage.

Best.

Finally did this weekend on my 991.2 4s. That was a lot of oil that came out! Going to need to buy a bigger drain bucket.

Thank you all for the input. Mich appreciated!

Scariest part is adding the oil. Lol! Did not want to over fill.

I feel like it should be in the middle and I need to add more oil.

Old 08-28-2023, 05:51 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

That was a lot of oil that came out! Going to need to buy a bigger drain bucket.
Use the "short" blue 21L recycling bin (17.5"L x 12"W x 7.5"H), obviously one without holes in it. My other Porsche takes 11.5 liters, more than my 991 which takes about 8.5 liters.

If your 991.2 is the same as my 991.1, then the difference between the MIN line and the MAX line (4 segments in the display) = 1.8 US quarts or 1.7 liters. So each segment is about 0.45 US quart or 0.425 L. So if you are at your MIN line, you can easily add a 1 US quart or 1 liter. Time to read your Owner's Manual.

And if you drain it, you can easily put 7.5 liters into it and then top up as necessary.

No higher than the MAX line and that is not the last segment in the display. Excess oil turns the display to YELLOW and the last segment above the MAX line is YELLOW as well as shown when it is OVERFILLED (D).

I like mine at the MAX line. When the 3rd segmet is GREEN, add a bit of oil at a time and take it for a drive before topping it up some more. When a segment lights up, you might be at the lower level of it or the higher level of it...you do not know that....the reason for adding very little oil at a time when at the 3rd segment.

Last edited by IXLR8; 08-29-2023 at 06:45 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-30-2023, 12:23 PM
barrios35
Instructor

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Use the "short" blue 21L recycling bin (17.5"L x 12"W x 7.5"H), obviously one without holes in it. My other Porsche takes 11.5 liters, more than my 991 which takes about 8.5 liters.

If your 991.2 is the same as my 991.1, then the difference between the MIN line and the MAX line (4 segments in the display) = 1.8 US quarts or 1.7 liters. So each segment is about 0.45 US quart or 0.425 L. So if you are at your MIN line, you can easily add a 1 US quart or 1 liter. Time to read your Owner's Manual.

And if you drain it, you can easily put 7.5 liters into it and then top up as necessary.

No higher than the MAX line and that is not the last segment in the display. Excess oil turns the display to YELLOW and the last segment above the MAX line is YELLOW as well as shown when it is OVERFILLED (D).

I like mine at the MAX line. When the 3rd segmet is GREEN, add a bit of oil at a time and take it for a drive before topping it up some more. When a segment lights up, you might be at the lower level of it or the higher level of it...you do not know that....the reason for adding very little oil at a time when at the 3rd segment.
Thank you the helpful information.
Old 09-16-2023, 08:24 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 737 Likes on 521 Posts

For 991.2, I believe the bars are about 200ml. Seems like 991.1 with 4 bar equaling 1.7 liters is about 400ml. Quite a difference.
Old 09-16-2023, 08:31 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jack F
For 991.2, I believe the bars are about 200ml. Seems like 991.1 with 4 bar equaling 1.7 liters is about 400ml. Quite a difference.

Jack, in post #69, that oil level bar on the 991.2 has no segments to it as one would find on the 991.1.

So I asked if the 991.2 oil level bar is linear, meaning add a bit of oil and the green bar moves up by a bit instead of in stages like on the 991.1.

Maybe someone can confirm if the 991.2 oil level bar is fully linear.
Old 09-21-2023, 01:03 AM
DR911s
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts

I used the "measure the amount of oil you drained" approach. First, check the oil level display and make a note of where the oil level is between the minimum and maximum before draining the oil. I used old, empty 5qt oil jugs as my measuring devices since they have graduations on them for each quart [and some also have for each liter]. I filled one empty 5 qt jug to its 5 qt mark. Then I filled another empty jug with the remaining drained oil, and noted the amount. When I did this on my 2017 C2S with the dash oil gauge initially showing nearly full, after lifting the rear of my 2017 C2S using 6" ramps, and letting the oil drain for about a half hour with the filter loosened and eventually removed, I drained about 9 and 1/4 qts. After installing the filter and lowering the car to be on a level floor, I put in about 8 1/2 quarts before starting the car and checking the oil level, then proceeded cautiously until nearly full, and sure enough, it took just about the same amount as I had measured after draining. But I wouldn't trust those plastic jug calibration/graduation marks to be highly accurate!

Quick Reply: 991 DIY Oil Change