Passenger foot well blower housing air filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2021, 03:25 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 738 Likes on 522 Posts
Default Passenger foot well blower housing air filter

Since the car was on the QuickJack, decided to do both cabin air filter. The frunk air filter is very straight forward. Unclip the clips, slide out the curved filter, clean out the interior of the housing, and slide in the flat replacement air filter into the channel and it magically becomes a J shaped filter. Done.

The passenger foot well filter: If you were the size of a 3 year with the dexterity and patience of an adult, no problem at all. There are 3 plastic screws that take a standard flat head screwdriver. Get a stubby flat head and unscrew. Pull back that gray foam that covers the underside of the dash. The hatch that holds the filter barely opens though. Make note of the Airflow direction arrow and reinstall the new filter with same arrow orientation. The footwell carpeting has a hump that was specifically designed by a sick minded engineer just to make this task even more fun. My 911 is a 4 GTS so maybe this hump is AWD variant specific. Who knows. Getting the filter out was difficult and I didn’t care about squeezing and distorting it since in was going into the garbage. The filter housing door has some male protrusions that want to grab the filter just to mess with you. Who will win? Then I realized that the door to this filter housing slides out of the hinges and can be fully removed because of 3 fixed hinge pins. EXCELLENT! Well, not really. Made for a bit more room. This is an exercise in patience, tests your contortion skills and results in so many choice words being blurted out. Get the filter in there as gently as you can and reinstall the door hatch. Easy peazy!

Hope this helps.

Here are a few photos of the original filter in the housing, the hatch door removed and a new filter in place.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jack F:
boxterjeff (01-12-2024), Carl Over (06-28-2021)
Old 06-27-2021, 04:05 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

Received 746 Likes on 459 Posts

i tried it 1x..gave up...will try the stubby driver and give it another go..im 6' 230 and its hard to get in there
Old 06-27-2021, 04:37 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,169 Likes on 701 Posts

Been there done that. Your comments about "designed by a sick minded engineer" is spot on!

Old 06-28-2021, 09:01 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 418 Posts

I really like your description.

When doing the normal 40K maintenance on my 991.1 I have to do this filter either 1st before everything else or I just want to punch someone.
Old 06-28-2021, 09:01 AM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 714 Likes on 479 Posts

Nicely done. I've used a few well-chosen swear words last time I did this.

Always worries me when I get done and I'm putting the floor mats back in, did I install the filter the "correct" way around?

My solution is to note the air flow on the filter that's in there (of course this assumes it was done properly the last time) and sharpie a mark/arrow on it. Examine the new filter, then make a similar mark on it. Remove old, install new, making sure the new mark is the same direction as the old.
Old 01-10-2022, 04:08 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Sounds like this design is as user friendly as a cornered rat.... hoping it will be easier in the 992...

siberian
The following users liked this post:
boxterjeff (01-12-2024)
Old 01-11-2022, 12:33 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

I did mine as well and you're correct, you need to be a contortionist get to the filter under the dash!
Old 04-12-2022, 07:20 AM
john45in
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

In relation to some other piece of equipment, which way is the airflow arrow supposed to point? I've put it in before but in the contorted confusion, I may have put it in backwards.
Old 04-30-2022, 11:01 AM
dannyss
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 79 Posts

Doing the cabin filter now, and arrow points towards the front of the car.
At least that's how it is in my car, and I doubt it's been done before. If it was done, is was at Porsche.
As for access, like all said before, you have to be a contortionist and not too big.
To aid in the position, i put a tire next to the door sill, put some plastic board and a mat on the tire. That allowed my lower back and butt to be somewhat supported.
Old 06-30-2022, 09:43 AM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by dannyss
Doing the cabin filter now, and arrow points towards the front of the car.
At least that's how it is in my car, and I doubt it's been done before. If it was done, is was at Porsche.
As for access, like all said before, you have to be a contortionist and not too big.
To aid in the position, i put a tire next to the door sill, put some plastic board and a mat on the tire. That allowed my lower back and butt to be somewhat supported.
I did mine about a month ago. The biggest PITA other than the need to be a contortionist is the stupid plastic screws that secure the foam cover panel.

The slots are very shallow and the screw head is convex so there is not a lot for a flat blade screw driver to grab onto. I went through every screw driver I own and never really found one that worked well with those fasteners. I would swap them in a heartbeat i there were a correct size screw with a Philips or even hex head. I did find that I was able to get by without removing the farthest one in. The foam panel had enough flex that I was able to get the filter in while it was still attached via the one remaining screw.

Last edited by BGLeduc; 07-03-2022 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-12-2024, 03:19 PM
boxterjeff
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

quarter is the best bet for this job.

Quick Reply: Passenger foot well blower housing air filter