DIY - 991 DIY info for the 991

Rear Camera Cable Install in 991 Cabriolet

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2020, 09:10 PM
CraigSS
6th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear Camera Cable Install in 991 Cabriolet

One of the challenges in the installation of the camera is running the cable from the back license plate area to the area under the dash. The first task will be to remove the rear bumper and right rear tail light. There are a number good DIYs on rennlist and YouTube that will help with both of these. What I didn't find were DIYs that helped cabriolet owners run the camera cable from the rear tail light area to the dash (or at least to the door molding). Here is how I ran the cable.

After removing the rear bumper I drilled one small hole in the area behind the license plate for the cable and mounted the camera (I used a BOYO VTL375HD, license-plate frame camera). I then zip tied the cable along the existing license-plate-light wiring harness and into the area behind the right tail light. (Don't try to run the cable on the drivers side.) The camera that I used has a connector and a ground wire that I positioned in this area. I attached the ground with a self tapping screw (blue connector below). I then attached the extension cable and ran it through an exiting hole behind the tail light. I did have to cut off the RCA connector (it's too large) and solder an RCA connector back on after running the cable. You can see the cable running through this hole in the photo below. I added the rubber grommet.

On the other side of this hole in the convertible-top storage area there is a plastic plug that is easy to reach after opening the top just slightly so that the cover wing lifts up. I drilled a small hole as shown below and used a stiff wire to fish out and pull the cable from the tail light area. (Note: this path is blocked on the driver's side.) Many thanks to Fromby for this tip (https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...cabriolet.html)!

After this I routed the cable just under the inside lip of the rubber molding as shown in the next two photos

At this point I was stuck for a while, because I needed to find a track for the cable that avoided the moving parts of the electric top. After looking at several ugly possibilities (including after needlessly removing the back seats and right hand side interior trim looking for a solution), I realized that the solution was very simple. The rubber molding that runs from this point to the door is hollow and it was very easy to just push the cable into and through this hollow space.

I then gently pulled off the plastic seat-belt cover, pulling it forward and up and ran the cable from the hollow molding down the inside edge of the door molding (shown below). From here (not shown) I just ran the cable along the inside edge of the door molding, under the plastic plate (which snaps out), up the molding and behind the upper edge of the passenger-side carpet to the area under the PCM. That's it. Not too difficult.

I hope this was helpful.
The following 2 users liked this post by CraigSS:
DiscoMCMXI (03-27-2020), FLfreedom (07-27-2023)
Old 03-27-2020, 08:39 PM
DiscoMCMXI
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Curious.

So I have a 991. No backup camera. So I was beginning to look at options. We’re you able to connect your camera to the factory head unit? If so I’d love to know what products you used to get this done. Anything you can share is appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-07-2020, 06:55 PM
Harrry
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoMCMXXI
So I have a 991. No backup camera. So I was beginning to look at options. We’re you able to connect your camera to the factory head unit? If so I’d love to know what products you used to get this done. Anything you can share is appreciated. Thanks
i was wondering the same thing.

Thanks for the pictures and the details of how and where you installed it! Good job.

Quick Reply: Rear Camera Cable Install in 991 Cabriolet