DIY- PSS-9 on a 89

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 02:18 PM
burgass
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DIY- PSS-9 on a 89

Just a couple of pictures that show how you fit rear PSS-9`s on the early models. Fronts are straight bolt on. Bilstein Europe was consulted and they recomended the procedure.
PS
Can anybody tell me how can I place this topic in the 964 DIY forum please ?
Attached Images   
Old 06-27-2005, 03:15 PM
Tim Sawyer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well this should be good news for all us "early build " people, but I sense I am missing something. Thanks for the great images Burgass, can you explain a little more of what took you did? If the black crown on the PSS9 is just plastic (from your notation on the image) then drilling it is just a way to position the three bolots into the correct pattern for the early body. Is this right? If so then what is holding the shock to the body? Also I thought there was a height issue that needed to be resolved. Any help would be great becasue I am WAY overdue for a suspension. Not only is my car aesthetically challenged I'm pretty sure its running the original setup and I am at 74K miles. Needless to say its less than optimal performance wise, and I have been vacillating on what to do. Thanks again for the information.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:50 PM
GG Allin
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Who sells PSS 9's for the 964?
Old 06-27-2005, 05:31 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

FVD carries them: they're on p. 89 of the catalog.
http://www.fvd.us
Brian
Old 06-27-2005, 06:12 PM
burgass
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bilstein in Europe. Cheaper than the FVD but you have to do the above mentioned conversion
Old 06-27-2005, 06:38 PM
burgass
Addict
Rennlist Member

The black crown is not plastic. It is a rubber covered metal plate. The edge which is thick rubber has to be cut away so it can fit easier in the strut tower. The 3 bolts hold the shock to the body.
No height issues - you adjust the height by the lower spring perches. You just set them a bit higher. It depends also if and how much you want your car lowered. Mine is set to RS height so I did not have problems. Bilstein recomends a max heigh of setting the perches measured from the lower fixing point of the shock. My car is within that spec.The pictures shows the upper perches The are a bit differentfrom the 993`s
Attached Images  
Old 06-27-2005, 07:41 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

I did something similar a couple of years ago but for a different reason.I wanted to try the late rear top mounts on my 89 C4 to see if noise suppression was better so that SHE would be happier!
With spare std shocks and a tape measure I found that spring height was OK with the late mounts. The overall mount top surface to lower pin centre was too short.
To kill two birds with one stone I had spacers made that had the three holes for the mount with countersinking for the required nuts + three threaded holes on the old pitch circle for studs.
From memory the spacer was about 25mm ( 1 inch ) thick.
This is the same idea as wheel spacers, so nothing new.
Sorry but I dont like the idea of putting fresh holes in the new mount as you will be messing with the rubber spring seat
On the car I couldnt tell any difference but left them on anyway.
If I have a reason to take a rear damper off I will take a photo.

Geoff
Old 06-27-2005, 08:47 PM
Tim Sawyer
Intermediate

Hi Burgass,
Thanks for clearing that up. Do you develop/use any special template to transfer the old style holes to the new struts? Now I just need to find the 2800 bucks. But that as they say is anoother story...
Thanks again.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:09 PM
burgass
Addict
Rennlist Member

I made simple plastic templates - 10min. You can also make (use) spacers as Geoff mentions above but I am not very sure if the shock piston will be working in the recomended range. Have not looked into the details for this solution. I talked to Bilstein Europe`s the tech dep. They said they were aware of the difference and that was the way to proceed so I just "followed the path".
A piece of advise - if you track the car a lot you might need stiffer suspention. That at least what I start to feel after 3 DE. I am looking at the possibility to change only the springs and keep the dampers, Need som time to figure out
shock rates of the PSS-9

Quick Reply: DIY- PSS-9 on a 89