Flushing and Refilling Power Steering Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 02:09 AM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flushing and Refilling Power Steering Fluid

I finally got around to renewing my Power Steering fluid after wanting to do so for quite some time. It's not really a part of Porsche's suggested maintenance (other than topping off the reservoir if it gets low) but anything that's supposed to lubricate is going to lose its effectiveness at some point. I figured 15 years of use might be pushing it. It couldn't have been easier.

Tools:
None

Supplies:
2 qts. Dexron III Automatic Transmission Fluid
1 Hand pump
Something to catch the old fluid in

Pretty easy:
-Pop the top on the power steering reservoir (that's the little fella between the oil filler cap and the fuel filter). Peer inside and note the disgusting black color of your fluid. It's not supposed to be that color.
-Grab your handy dandy hand pump and whatever you're going to catch the old fluid in. Proceed to evacuate the old fluid from the reservoir.
-Grab a bottle of the ATF and use the pump to fill the reservoir to between the min and max fill lines.
-Start the car and turn the wheel lock to lock several times. Don't put a lot of pressure on the wheel at full lock. (I shut the car down in between, but thinking of it now, I think you could probably leave it running)
-Return to the reservoir. Pump out the mix of old fluid and new. Refill. Repeat until you're satisfied with the red color of your new fluid. I ended up going through almost all of both quarts.

Real easy, doesn't take too long, and after I saw the color of the stuff that came out, I was really glad I'd done it.
Brian
Attached Images     
The following users liked this post:
nabfa1 (01-07-2024)

Quick Reply: Flushing and Refilling Power Steering Fluid