Notices

front bumper air ducts - home-made style

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005 | 05:07 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Exclamation front bumper air ducts - home-made style

While you can spend a couple hundred bucks on some fancy openings that go in place of the front fog lights - you can spend about $2 by using what ya' got.

In the interest of increasing brake air flow, I removed the front fog lights. Once the fog lights are removed, a panel needs to be cut out of the bumper plastic which is about 2mm thick. I used a dremel bit to cut a square out, completing the opening. Once this panel is removed, you can see into the stuff that is behind the bumper: oil cooler on the passenger side, A/C condensor on the driver's side. The fog light wiring is tied up and behind the bumper, if I ever care to go back to having lights up front.

Below is a pic of the view from the driver's side vent - I have no A/C condensor, so you can see straight back to the wheel well panels. To get air into the neighborhood of the tires and brakes, I cut a panel in the wheel well plastic. This way air goes through the opening in the bumper, then out the hole in the panel, and into the wheel well.
Attached Images     
Old 03-04-2005 | 05:09 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Now because crap is always flying up on the track, I didn't want rocks and stuff to go flying through the opening in the bumper and hit the oil cooler especially. So, I added these little mesh covers over each of the openings. And, I figured they'd get filled full of tire-boogers, or ripped up from rocks that it would be easier to replace with new mesh - so they're wired in place with two tie-wires.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: front bumper air ducts - home-made style