Notices

Rekeying 928 Locks Procedure by Wayne Strutt

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 01:58 AM
Podguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would not be filing things down due to a worn key. what happens when you put in a good spare or a newly made key.

However, the tumblers do wear and even with a new key can bind in the lock. It is best to use the best least worn tumblers. The tumblers can also get little barbs on the side. It is best to file any imperfections to make sure the sides of the tumblers are smooth. Or you can use some wet or dry sand paper to smooth the sides.

In some cases when all is done and the lock still catches I will used a fine file to dress things up a little. But before you do this you should put the lock together and test its operation.

Instead of drilling the pin i drill at a 45 degree angle into the lock body until I hit the pin. Then I use a pick to push the pin up and out. Later when reassembling the lock I use the same pin and a little JB weld to hold it in place. But the screw looks like a good idea. One has to be careful driving the pin in as it is easy to damage the lock.

Nice write up.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:04 PM
Dozman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Somewhere have a full pack of rekey flat pins, #11 in pics on previous pages, if some one could use them.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:54 AM
whiteNSXs
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

Dwayne and Wayne,
Thanks for the awesome instructions.
Steve

Quick Reply: Rekeying 928 Locks Procedure by Wayne Strutt